Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the Market and considering Dream Vision

MovieStar Plus. Owner is willing to sell it for $9000 (Retail around $10500).

Spec:

1100 ANSI Lumen

XGA, SXGA

Before I purchase take some advice from you guys.

Is this a good projector for the price or I can do a lot

better than this projector.

What would you recommend under $11000.00. Also I

am looking at the LINE MULTIPLIER from Dream also.

That's about $4000, not sure about this.

Need some help to decide so I can make a better and smarter

choice.

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hello,

the Dreamvision is a Davis OEM and Davis closes its projector business!

Other interesting dlp-units are from SIM, which are specially designed for HT. Search the forum for SIM. Also other brands will bring special HT-dlp's ( Plus, InFocus ).

Another importanr point is the rainbow-effect. Newer units like the SIM HT200DM have a RGBRGB-color wheel, which is two times faster and eliminates the effect - maybe you or another person watching the projector is sensitive for it.

Best regards, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
817 Posts
FYI: you can meet and probably significantly exceed the pq for $2500 if you are willing to do a little legwork. HTPC plus a used or refurbed older model DLP (search the forum for "Thumper") with some modifications. $9k is ridiculous for that unit.

------------------

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
As Walter said, there are a number of projectors that are in your price range. Seleco (SIM) makes 3 models that are all great units. The Dwin Transvision is another great unit that already comes with its own scaler. It retails for $12995.00 but streets for less than that. There are also many presentation based units (Plus, Infocus, NEC) that are available too. As far as a scaler, there are also many other units to look into for around the $4000.00 price range. Vigatec, TAW Rock, Faroudja NRS are just a few to think about.

Thanks, Jason

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I have seen the Dream Vision MovieStar Plus along side the Seleco HT250. The Seleco was far better, which was also the opinion of the owner of the HT salon where I reviewed these.

I have not seen the new Seleco HT200DM but understand it is also a player, along with the Dwin's.

For your 9K I suggest that you can do better than the Dream Vision.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
For 9K (DLP) + 4K (scaler) you get a lot of choice. For just about that you get the Dwin Transvision (DLP + Scaler) and the Panamorph 1:78 conversion lens. I do not have the Panamorph but my Dwin is an awesome unit.

If you do not have "rainbow sensitive eyes" DLP is looking pretty good with a good scaler and XGA resolution. My Dwin looks substantially better than the Dreamvision and you really need to look at as many as you can before jumping in blind.

Viewing at a few dealers is free and will give you a much better idea of what is good to your eyes.

13K+ needs to be spent in a wise manner and projectors and scalers are not all of the same quality even if the pricing is similar.

Just do not rush. Take a good hard look at how each unit handles different discs and sources.

DavidW

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The hottest setup right now is the Sanyo PLV-60 (LCD projector) with a Stewart Greyhawk screen, which can both be had for about $7.5K. The only possible drawback is the screen door effect inherient in LCD projectors. But for ease of use and setup, great colors, resolution, and brightness, it can't be beat for a home theater application for under $10K. The screen door effect can be eliminated with a very slight defocusing of the image.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I agree with the foregoing comments, and particulary with Jason's recommendation re the Seleco and Dwin units. I am sensitive to the rainbow effect and so must avoid DLP's, but I have seen both of these units and they are very good - better from what I have seen and heard than the Dreamvision. Also, I was offered recently a price on a used Dreamvision and, while it might have been a different model, the discount was fairly substantial compared to what you are being offered. If you are in the market for a DLP, you can do quite a bit better than what you are being offered, IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.