Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which drive is better for ReplayTV 4040 upgrade -

120 gb from Maxtor or 120 Western Digital? Is manufacturer really matter?

What other parameters I should look for in drive spec. for successful upgrade?

thanks

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The most important attributes in a hard drive for Replay upgrades:

1) Reliable

2) Cool

3) Quiet

Requirement #1 pretty much eliminates all current disk drive manufacturers. Requirement 2 would favor 5400 RPM drives over 7200 or 10800 RPM drives. Requirement 3... your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I'd go for the maxtor.

Everyone has their preferences, but just like with everything else it all boils down to manufacturing quality and reliability. I won't even begin to make judgments about different brands, but I wouldn't use a WD in a PVR unless I absolutely had to... just based on past experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Current 120GB/5400 rpm Maxtors and 80GB/7200 Seagates work for me -- both are quiet in my setups. I'd avoid WD's for the same reasons as KenL (at a previous job, 2 batches of 20 all died). As usual, YMMV.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Maxtor 5400RPM drives. Remember, Maxtor/Quantum won the competition to supply Sonicblue with drives. Or, were they the only 160GB game in town? Anyway, that's all I use for RTV4000s.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Does anyone know the model name or model numbers of any of the actual drives Sonic Blue uses in their ReplayTV 4000 or 4500 units?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Outpost have sale for Maxtor 160 drive. It 279 + 50 mail rebate - come down to 229$. (expires today) Of course it is more expensive per gb than 109/120 WD,

but I have a feeling - when I open this thing (my replay TV unit) I want to stick the biggest drive possible. ( one drive upgrade only, so I will not corrupt by any chance original drive).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Unless your computer is already ATA 133 you will have to install a ATA 133 controller in your computer to prep the drive. A ATA 133 controller comes with the Maxtor retail box 160 GB drive (not included in the OEM box).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.