AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for such a newb question but Im about to add a center channel to my current 2.1 setup (Athena b1.2's and AS- c1.2 ) If I was having a party and just playing music should I turn off the center speaker?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,368 Posts
IMO... absolutely.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Depending on your pre/pro, you might not even get any sound out of the center when playing stereo music.

If you do get sound out of the center, and had a party, I would keep it on. Lots of people == lots of absorption == need more effective watts.

·
Registered
21,368 Posts
I humbly disagree...

If all of the pre-reorded "music" has been encoded for surround... then a 3.1 setup may be adequate for some tastes. But, for stereo... and applying an algorithm merely to extract center channel info is blasphemy. Unless... everyone is seated/standing in front of the center speaker.

For movies... the center channel is a good thing (3.1 and higher).

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,675 Posts
Depends. I'd probably leave it on for a party but turn it off if some friends are over to just listen to music. Why not try it both ways and see which you and your guests prefer?

·
Registered
30,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0

I humbly disagree...

If all of the pre-reorded "music" has been encoded for surround... then a 3.1 setup may be adequate for some tastes. But, for stereo... and applying an algorithm merely to extract center channel info is blasphemy. Unless... everyone is.............................

dancing and moving around. Then, the more speakers the better the coverage.

Kal (usually the purist)

·
Registered
21,368 Posts
From the late 50's to today.... stereo was mixed for stereo and intended to listened that way.

Ratman (the traditionalist).

·
Registered
29,199 Posts

Quote:

Unless... everyone is seated/standing in front of the center speaker.

Other way 'round. Using a centre speaker frees the party-goers to move around. After all, no matter where they're standing (or dancing, like Kal) the central image will always remain locked to the middle of the front soundstage.

It is 2-speaker playback that requires everyone to be seated/standing at the centre, since it relies on phantom imaging that will collapse to the nearest speaker if you drift off-axis.

Besides, if the partiers are paying attention to the soundstage and imaging of background music, then it's not really a pah-tey. Time to start serving the strong stuff.

Sanjay (the heretic)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why stop at 3.1.? Why not utilize all the speakers of your home theater system for pah-tey's as well as for regular listening. Most if not all late model surround receivers have some version of 7.1/5.1 stereo.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprung2 /forum/post/0

Why stop at 3.1.?

The OP only has a 2.1 set-up currently and is going to be adding a centre speaker. Otherwise I agree with you: turn on all 5 or 7 speakers and use the multi-channel stereo mode (which used to be labeled Party mode on older gear).

Sanjay

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:

From the late 50's to today.... stereo was mixed for stereo and intended to listened that way.

Ratman (the traditionalist).

I agee, but you missed the key point that Kal highlighted, which is that the OP specifically stated "at a party." I've never been to a party where all the guests were seated in the sweetspot. In fact, it's quite impossible. Even with a couple rows, you couldn't get more than a few people listening on-axis. Consequently, using a center channel is hugely advantageous for all the off-axis listeners. And it's a party, so people aren't going to be listening in purist mode, so certainly using all the front speakers (or all the speakers in party mode or something) should be great.

That all being said, I always listen to stereo in stereo when I'm doing critical listening. But in this instance, there is no reason (and a great deal of reason not to) to stick with purist stereo.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I'm waiting for the Kal dancing video.

·
Registered
21,368 Posts
Whatever floats your boat.

If it were a 5.1 (or higher) system using DPLIIx I'd agree. But IMO, 3.1 is not going to generate O-o-o-o's and Ah-h-h-h's at the fiesta.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,675 Posts

Quote:

IMO, 3.1 is not going to generate O-o-o-o's and Ah-h-h-h's at the fiesta.

No, but neither is a 2.1 system using the speakers mentioned. With the speakers listed, and for the stated use, 3.1 will almost certainly sound better than 2.1. The OP was not asking about what system to use for a 2.0 music demo session for dedicated audiophiles.

·
Registered
21,368 Posts
You say potato... I say potahto.

Try both ways and use what sounds best.

BTW... Tnilsson, no need to get snippy.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts

Quote:

But IMO, 3.1 is not going to generate O-o-o-o's and Ah-h-h-h's at the fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilson /forum/post/0

The OP was not asking about what system to use for a 2.0 music demo session for dedicated audiophiles.

Have to agree with Tnilson. The OP stated this was for a party, not critical listening, in which case the more speakers in on the action (provided the OP's receiver is capable, DSP-wise, of multichannel playback of 2-channel material), the better.

Of course, for critical listening, there is probably no one here that would recommend listening to 2-channel source material on a 3-channel system.

·
Registered
21,368 Posts

Quote:

Try both ways and use what sounds best.

And that should be the solution.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

I've never been to a party where all the guests were seated in the sweetspot. In fact, it's quite impossible.

Chris, it depends on the kind of party. Now, the kind of party I'm contemplating, where all the guests are seated in the sweetspot, gives "sweetspot" a whole new meaning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts