AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to view internet, OTA, and other source videos on TV as well as streaming to other sources such as PS3. THis will of cource require some encoding/transcoding. I know upscaling/trasncoding an such is cpu intensive, i just want to make sure that i have a sufficient GPU as well. Some of the charts show FPS ratings on cards at 1900 x 1200 being pretty low with anti aliasing and such enabled, is theis information independant of what i will be doing (applying only to games) or does it have something to do with viewing upgraded content on a 1080 TV. On the AVS forum it states that the GPU is important for viewing and encoding, but also says you reach a point of diminishing returns. On all the midrange systems AVS recommends the 5670 and goes up to the 5750 on its higher end stuff. THere does not seem to be much good talk about the 5670 while the 4670 is highly praised for its value and is often out of stock at newegg. The 5750 is so close to the cost of a 5770, its seems stupid to buy it instead. MY thought for a possible system included the following options:

I5-750/Gig h55m ud2h with 4670 or 5770

i3 530/Gig h55m ud2h with 4670 or 5770

630/Asus m4a77td with 4670 or 5770

Will i5 improve transcoding/picture quality or just speed

Will 5770 improve transcoding/picture quality on TV or just GAMES

Is anything gained by getting a 4670 over the igp for either the i3 or 630

·
Registered
281 Posts
For HTPC viewing applications(HDTV and Blu-ray) and not gaming, AFAIK, you will not see anything with a faster, more expensive video card. Just more power wasted and heat generated meaning more fan speed needed meaning more noise.

Except for encoding, the same is true for CPUs, AFAIK. I didn't see anything in your usage scenarios that requires encoding, however....

If not gaming and encoding, I'd go with the low-end systems recommended in the build thread. The guy who did that thread is spot on in recommendations. However, in HTPC silence is golden, so pay attention to power consumption!

Edit -- BTW, I'm just using integrated video. With the latest chipsets, no worries!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible System:

Gig ga-p55-ud3l

i5 750

corsair 400w PSU

4670(Hd audio not needed)

500gb hdd

2 x 2gb 1333 8 lat ram

cooler master case

·
Registered
350 Posts
I dont see the point in buying a 4 series GPU as the 5's do dx11. Right now that makes no difference for HTPC use, but if there's any revision to dx11 thats useful you will be behind the 8 ball with a 4. Given that Windows 7 seems to be quickly becoming the centre of the computing universe, its likely that the 5's will have better resale value over the 4's because of their currency.

In terms of specs there's not a lot between them. If you can do the 5 for a similar price to the 4, to my mind that would be a smarter purchase.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The difference in the cost would be 100$ and from all that i have read, i wouldn't see an improvement in picture quality or encoding ability. I would have more heat in my box, which to me is not a big deal, and i would gain HD sound, which i am not set up for. On top of all that, people are having major problems with the 5xxx series drivers when used with windows 7. I will buy one if you can give me a reason to do so that justifies the cost other than being behind the tech. In tech you are always behind the next day. I was going to spend my money on a better cpu and have bettern encoding abilty and speed and still leave myself open if i wanted to upgrade.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am i not correct that anytime tha you watch material via internet that there is some sort of transcoding goin on. Don't most players take in the material in one format and reproduce it in their native format or are they just able to play that format.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was comparing a 4670 not 4770 to a 5770. Everything i have read concerning HTPC's is that you get tp a point of diminishing returns with GPU's even if your are doing some encoding. What it comes down to is, should i buy an I5 750 and 4670 or spend the same money on a x4 630 and a 5770. I can either be ahead on the CPU or ahead on the GPU. MOSt HTPC guys recommend the 5xxx series cards for the eyefinity, directx11, and HD audio, none of which i am interested in at this time, because all three are still in their infancy in terms of developement. Their are still pretty significant problems with the drivers for 5xxx series from what i understand. If the 5770 is not going to improve my computers ability to upscale/trasncode/encode video then it really offers me nothing.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn /forum/post/18162816

For HTPC viewing applications(HDTV and Blu-ray) and not gaming, AFAIK, you will not see anything with a faster, more expensive video card. Just more power wasted and heat generated meaning more fan speed needed meaning more noise.

I STRONGLY disagree! There absolutely IS a measured picture quality performance difference with using better video cards. Anandtech first showed it in their review of the HD5450 and because of that they did a follow-up: http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=669

If you can not see the difference between the two images, you either need new your eyes checked, or a new monitor. The higher powered cards can offload and do more video enhancements on-the-fly in their hardware. That said, you don't need a 58xx or 59xx card... But there absolutely is a measured picture quality improvement for having a better card.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why not take the middle ground and get the i3-530 and use the IGP for HD video and bitstreamed audio? That would do the job. Also the 5000 series equalivalent of the 4670 would be the 5670 which can be found for as cheap as $90 and would be more than adequate for your purpose. The 5770 competes more in the 4870 range.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb /forum/post/18165558

Am i not correct that anytime tha you watch material via internet that there is some sort of transcoding goin on. Don't most players take in the material in one format and reproduce it in their native format or are they just able to play that format.

The players use the installed codecs to play the file in its own format. There is no transcoding going on.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell /forum/post/18166788

I STRONGLY disagree! There absolutely IS a measured picture quality performance difference with using better video cards. Anandtech first showed it in their review of the HD5450 and because of that they did a follow-up: http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=669

If you can not see the difference between the two images, you either need new your eyes checked, or a new monitor. The higher powered cards can offload and do more video enhancements on-the-fly in their hardware. That said, you don't need a 58xx or 59xx card... But there absolutely is a measured picture quality improvement for having a better card.

From Anandtech article you linked:

"So the 5450 is still the almost-perfect HTPC card, but it's actually quite close. Unless you need more than Vector Adaptive deinterlacing, the 5450 would be as good of a fit as the 5570. To that end it's the cheapest of the 5000-series, and it's passively cooled, which certainly has its advantages."

Sounds like the ATI 5450 had a driver improvement and with it a quality improvement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog51 /forum/post/18166924

From Anandtech article you linked:

"So the 5450 is still the almost-perfect HTPC card, but it's actually quite close. Unless you need more than Vector Adaptive deinterlacing, the 5450 would be as good of a fit as the 5570. To that end it's the cheapest of the 5000-series, and it's passively cooled, which certainly has its advantages."

Sounds like the ATI 5450 had a driver improvement and with it a quality improvement.

ONe final question. Does the 4770 have the Vector Adaptive deinterlacing like the 5xxx series or is this one of the fetures that set them apart other than x11 and HD bitstreaming.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog51 /forum/post/18166924

If by "driver improvement" you mean, removed the bug from making you think it is doing extra processing when it is not, then yes, they had a "driver improvement". There was no feature improvements, simply, a fix to inform the end user what the card is actually doing.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell /forum/post/18166788

That link did NOT do testing at 1080P, which would have been interesting. Sitting a couple of inches from a 2560x1600 monitor is not my idea of home theater.

I sit across a medium sized room watching HDTV resolution on a 50" display. "Perceived" is what is important, so this "measurement" difference, if it shows up at all at 1080i or 1080P is meaningless for me in terms of enjoying (especially) a blu-ray movie. Perhaps for you or my son, however, who does watch on a 30" monitor inches away at his computer desk, it may be important.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb /forum/post/18167147

ONe final question. Does the 4770 have the Vector Adaptive deinterlacing like the 5xxx series or is this one of the fetures that set them apart other than x11 and HD bitstreaming.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...fications.aspx

According to the specs the 4770 does have VAD. Unless I mis-read them.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell /forum/post/18167244

If by "driver improvement" you mean, removed the bug from making you think it is doing extra processing when it is not, then yes, they had a "driver improvement". There was no feature improvements, simply, a fix to inform the end user what the card is actually doing.

Just reading the AT article you posted. They posted a couple of updates over the 5450 and said that at 1080P the picture quality was just as good as the others. Your original point was that it wasn't and the article you used to prove that actually proved otherwise. I was just pointing this out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ask that you forgive me because i do not know as much as you guys about a lot of the stuff we are talking about, but my question remains, and i ask, if possible, that someone answer my question directly. Do i stand to gain anything in video quality or encoding/up-scaling ability by getting the 5770 over the 4770 or the 4670. My sources will be OTA, QAM, internet, and dvd's. I know that some or even most of my source material will be less than HD quality, so i am wanting to build a system that will take that content and create the best final product possible without getting something that is unnecessary and therefore a waste of money for me. I am not interested in HD audio bit-streaming as i am not set up for this. My concern is final picture quality. Knowing this please give me your opinion on selection of components from my list :

i5 750

i3 530

x4 630

(will probably overclock regardless of selection as this is easily doe without much danger and will improve performance)

·
Registered
350 Posts
PM Renethx - he will have a take on the question you're asking

Overclocking will increase your fan noise. You are using high-end cpu's (in HTPC terms) to start with, so you might want to reconsider whether it merits the additional heat it will generate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts