AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Long time reader, first time poster.

I was wondering. I have a Dell 755, Core2Quad 6600, 4GB RAM, GBE blah blah. It came with an ATI HD2400xt video card. I have, from an old game box, a Nvidia 7900GS w/ dual DVI. Which card would be better for viewing/rendering HDTV using WIn7MCE?

Also, would the 7900GS still be better at gaming (if i chose to use this machine as a game machine) than the ATI? And before someone tells me to upgrade my Video Card, I can't. I'm cut off from spending due to new baby *yay me!*. So no new toys for da-da :-( .

TIA

Stitch

·
Registered
701 Posts
HTPC:HD2400

Gaming:7900GS

Hands down either way, just gotta pick which is more important, it's not like one or the other is simply not going to work for the opposed purposes, it just won't work quite as well. The nVidia drivers are better though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The 7900 is clearly better for gaming, but I'm not sure what the HD2400 brings to the table HTPC-wise that the 7900 doesn't. Any hardware video decoding in the newer ATI is going to be pretty weak in such a low end card, not to mention totally unnecessary with a quad core CPU to do all the grunt work in software.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/16939447

The 7900 is clearly better for gaming, but I'm not sure what the HD2400 brings to the table HTPC-wise that the 7900 doesn't. Any hardware video decoding in the newer ATI is going to be pretty weak in such a low end card, not to mention totally unnecessary with a quad core CPU to do all the grunt work in software.

+1 tis a good point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/16939447

I guess there lies the meat of my question. I wasn't too sure about the 2400. I heard that Nvidia is better at rendering HD, but the 7900 is a few years old, so I'm not sure what it could do. Is there something special i should look at when looking at the specs of the 7900 that would help me make a good choice?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.