AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I used to be a Dish Network subscriber. I switched to the Dark Side with FIOS, but after a year, I'm thinking about switching back.

My reasons for switching back are mainly because I really can't stand the FIOS Set Top Boxes. I have the HD DVR box (Motorolla QIP6416-2) and I find it to be very buggy, very sluggish, lacking in features, and offers poor guide data. Dish's on the other hand I used to love. I shouldn't have switched then, I know, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

However, before I pay the hefty early termination fee to FIOS, I have one big concern. About 2 months ago I purchased my first HDTV, the Samsung LN40a630 and I love it. With it I find FIOS's HD picture to be excellent. Having never seen HD picture quality on Dish, I am forced to ask:
Who has better picture quality on their HD channels, FIOS or Dish?

My assumption is FIOS, and if I'm correct, my follow up question is:
How much better is it? i.e. By switching to Dish and I going to see a noticeable downgrade in quality?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Fios is by far the best PQ of the two. You will notice a difference. Fios doesn't compress the signal from the networks. It goes into their system as they receive it. Satellite companies use the heaviest compression. You will see a difference on the HD channels and you will definitely notice on the SD channels. IMO you will not like the change.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Another alternative is to simply upgrade your DVR with FiOS. You don't have to use their equipment (or their guide data provider) if you don't want. You can buy your HDTV DVR for FiOS, like the TivoHD ($250 + subscription) or the Moxi ($800 w/ no subscription).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/15574580

Another alternative is to simply upgrade your DVR with FiOS. You don't have to use their equipment (or their guide data provider) if you don't want. You can buy your HDTV DVR for FiOS, like the TivoHD ($250 + subscription) or the Moxi ($800 w/ no subscription).

That's what I wanted to do, but while the DVR feature of Tivo is clearly far superior than Verizon's, users on the Tivo forum tend to report that the guide browsing is slower than the one built into Verizon's. Since I'm most often browsing the guide that's probably more important to me. I find it to be really sluggish already, so I can't imagine it getting worse. Dish's was so responsive and snappy though.

I'd love to go with the Moxi, but $800 is too steep. I really wish they'd sell a $250 box + subscription fees.

Well, I guess if the HD is that much worse on Dish, I can't make the move. I'm at Verizon's mercy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts