AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of my friends and I are moving into a place this summer, and we've decided to chip in to get a sound system to connect to the tv. It will be used for movies and gaming, but also for music (probably an emphasis on music). We've decided not to go with surround sound. Since we haven't picked a place yet, I don't know what the room dimensions will be, but we're scoping out options for speakers early.

Currently I have Swans M200MKIII's with a basic sub that I put together. I'd like to find something more detailed, with more impact, and with better sub-bass. I do like a laid back and warm sound signature, though.

I really have no experience with speakers besides that; all I know about audio has to do with headphones. From my cursory research, I've found that with speakers DIY can offer a better value than buying commercially, and the Statements seem to be a well-liked option. What else is out there that I should be looking at?

Also, if anyone around the Southern California area has a pair of Statements or other DIY builds that we could listen to, we would appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Swans are really nice from what I've read.

Statements are great, but they're a pretty complicated build.

DIYSOUNDGROUP.com has a lot of kits that make building quite easy.

A lot of people go with satellites and subs as you have, but if you want more bass, you could go with a bigger sub.

oh and what's your budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swans are really nice from what I've read.

Statements are great, but they're a pretty complicated build.

DIYSOUNDGROUP.com has a lot of kits that make building quite easy.

A lot of people go with satellites and subs as you have, but if you want more bass, you could go with a bigger sub.

oh and what's your budget?
I do quite like the Swans, especially at their price point. I'm hoping I can get a significant improvement with this project, though. I recall reading somewhere that the DIYsoundgroup kits were more geared towards HT than music, is that true?

Also, I do want sub-bass that my current setup is lacking, but I want it to be tight and controlled. Is that what a bigger sub is best for? The setup I have right now is a little boomy and sloppy in the mid-bass, most likely a result of how it's set up and from using a lower end subwoofer.

Budget right now is around $2000, but a hard limit. I have access to a table saw, router, bandsaw, clamps, etc, so I wouldn't figure that into the budget.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I do quite like the Swans, especially at their price point. I'm hoping I can get a significant improvement with this project, though. I recall reading somewhere that the DIYsoundgroup kits were more geared towards HT than music, is that true?

Also, I do want sub-bass that my current setup is lacking, but I want it to be tight and controlled. Is that what a bigger sub is best for? The setup I have right now is a little boomy and sloppy in the mid-bass, most likely a result of how it's set up and from using a lower end subwoofer.

Budget right now is around $2000, but a hard limit. I have access to a table saw, router, bandsaw, clamps, etc, so I wouldn't figure that into the budget.
The size of your place is going to be a factor. Personally if I want tight bass for music, I'm going to go with a sealed sub and I'd recommend something 15" or larger. SEOS speaker designs will play really well with music. On the other hand, I'm using one of their high-end coaxial designs in my room right now with a sub and it's really fantastic. You have a big budget, so I'd definitely take the time to poke around and look at the options. Doesn't sound like too much of a rush since you don't have the apartment yet.

You could look into The Finalists with a sub.

I'd probably start with a sub since they're the easiest to build. There are some guys around here that have mad sub knowledge that could probably point you in the right direction. See how you like the new sub with you swans and fix that muddy bass problem. More designs are coming out from what I hear and it may be worth the wait.

-Peter

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ok, first off, what type of music will you be playing on this setup? If you plan on listening to hard rock and rap/hip hop, especially if you listen loud sort of like typical young college age kids, then I might suggest the Fusion 15 or the 1899 from DIYSG. both of which would pound out the volume (SPL) with lots of midbass, and would be excellent for movies too.

However, if you listen to music other than hard rock or hip hop, primarily at moderate to semi loud volumes, and don't have a huge room then the Statement II are extremely hard to beat. The will be the most resolving, clear and detailed of the various DIY kit options out there. Plus the do put out a good amount of mid and lower bass. They would most definitely beat the 1899 or Fusion 15 with music, and could hold their own for movies, assuming your listening space isn't huge. If it were me, I would suggest the Statement II in your situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I meant to say that the budget is not a hard limit. Music genres will vary, mostly rock but also likely some classical, electronica, and hip hop.

A couple issues:
1. How do I pair a subwoofer with a set of speakers? I know nothing about designing crossovers.
2. Where would I find comparisons detailing the specific sound differences between the speakers mentioned? I can find posts stating that each speaker is good, but nothing explaining the differences in detail, coloration, sibilance, etc.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Sorry I meant to say that the budget is not a hard limit. Music genres will vary, mostly rock but also likely some classical, electronica, and hip hop.

A couple issues:
1. How do I pair a subwoofer with a set of speakers? I know nothing about designing crossovers.
2. Where would I find comparisons detailing the specific sound differences between the speakers mentioned? I can find posts stating that each speaker is good, but nothing explaining the differences in detail, coloration, sibilance, etc.
I've never had an issue pairing a DIY sub with speakers or the speakers. I crossover at 80Hz.

The differences you'll mostly hear will be in the high frequencies because those builds use completely different tweeters. Compression drivers, Domes and Ribbon tweeters all have a different quality to them. I find it hard to describe the difference between the Statements and SEOS-TD12M's. They are very different, but both are very good.

For me, I'd use the compression and waveguide for home theater or a party system. They don't require a lot of power and get very loud without distorting. I feel they give the most "raw" sound. That means you might hear flaws in recordings and what may sound really nice on your Swan's may not on the SEOS. It's not the SEOS, it's the recording. You may hear things you haven't heard before as well. For example, I have some CD's where I can now clearly tell the artist used a sample and not of the best quality on their recording. That aspect may not come through on the other type of designs.

I think the Statements sound amazing and they're going to hide some of the flaws in the recording. If I were doing a music listening session, I'd probably go with Statements.

If you can get a chance to hear a waveguide, then do so, but no one can tell you which one you'll like more, it's completely subjective. All the speakers mentioned above are really good, but it'll help to know you listening space size etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts

A couple issues:

The crossover to the subwoofer should be handled in your amplifier (i.e. AVR, plate amp, etc.), you shouldn't have to build a physical crossover circuit to integrate the speakers with the subwoofer. It should be as simple as "turning the crossover frequency knob"! Depending on which speaker you choose for your mains it is generally anywhere from 40-120Hz, it really just depends on your room/speakers/subwoofer combination. There is no right answer, you just have to listen and see what sounds right.

What amplifier setup are you planning to use to power the subwoofers and speakers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, gents. I think I'm getting a better idea of how this stuff works, also didn't realize that DIYSG had some new releases. Which tweeter design is better for having detail, but not being too sibilant or plasticky sounding (like the plasticky highs on the AKG Q701's, for instance)?

My friend has his eyes on the Marantz SR5009 receiver. Would that be a good option for the Statements II or Maximus, or anything similar? Again, that's outside of my field of knowledge.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Thanks, gents. I think I'm getting a better idea of how this stuff works, also didn't realize that DIYSG had some new releases. Which tweeter design is better for having detail, but not being too sibilant or plasticky sounding (like the plasticky highs on the AKG Q701's, for instance)?

My friend has his eyes on the Marantz SR5009 receiver. Would that be a good option for the Statements II or Maximus, or anything similar? Again, that's outside of my field of knowledge.
None of the SEOS designs will sound "flawed", like too sibilant or plasticky. They are all very well designed to give a smooth response. As some have mentioned, some designs might be brighter or "in your face" and others more laid back, but they will all sound smooth and clean. Many people are nervous about hearing a "honky" sound when trying out a horn design, but, from all the reading and testimonials I've seen, I think everyone agrees that the SEOS designs do not sound like the "typical" horn designs from other companies, Klipsch, etc. My 10-99 center sounds incredible (fronts will be done soon).

As for what to power them with, it depends on whether or not you go with the Statements or a SEOS design. As mentioned, the SEOS designs will be far more efficient and can be driven nicely off of any typical receiver. I understand that the Statements would appreciate more power than what many AVR's can offer, but again, your needs and preferences come into play.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts