AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between buying a bigger or a better TV and I would like to get some advice. My budget is $1500-$1700, and I want 3D. I have the following two options:

1. Quality: Sony XBR52HX909. 52-inch LED-LCD. 3D. Backlit with dynamic dimming. Dynamic contrast ratio advertised as "Infinite". This is supposed to be the top of the line and retails around $3500, but I am able to get it for $1500+tax at Fry's due to a rain check that I got on black Friday.

2. Size: Samsung PN58c680. 58-inch plasma TV. 3D. Contrast ratio is 2,000,000:1. Sold everywhere but can't seem to find any literature online. The only thing I found was a single, 5-star user review at Amazon.com. This is similar to the PN58 8000 and 7000 series but with a lower contrast ratio and no Internet apps (i.e. Netflix). I've seen the image quality of the 7000 series and it is not as good as the Sony above.

What do you guys think will make a more enjoyable experience in the long run ? 6 extra inches or better image quality ?

Thanks

Jesus.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Take contrast ratio off your list, the specified numbers mean nothing. Manufactures can claim any number including "infinite" based on what ever their measuring criteria is.

I'm firmly in the bigger is better camp. You will notice the difference in size, the display always shrinks when you watch it for a few weeks. Both are pretty decent displays, from my experience plasma does it better, but your eyes are the ultimate judge. A lot depends on your viewing area - viewing angle is still an issue with LCD, but brightness is not so much with plasma any more.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarango /forum/post/19630003

I am torn between buying a bigger or a better TV and I would like to get some advice. My budget is $1500-$1700, and I want 3D. I have the following two options:

1. Quality: Sony XBR52HX909. 52-inch LED-LCD. 3D. Backlit with dynamic dimming. Dynamic contrast ratio advertised as "Infinite". This is supposed to be the top of the line and retails around $3500, but I am able to get it for $1500+tax at Fry's due to a rain check that I got on black Friday.

2. Size: Samsung PN58c680. 58-inch plasma TV. 3D. Contrast ratio is 2,000,000:1. Sold everywhere but can't seem to find any literature online. The only thing I found was a single, 5-star user review at Amazon.com. This is similar to the PN58 8000 and 7000 series but with a lower contrast ratio and no Internet apps (i.e. Netflix). I've seen the image quality of the 7000 series and it is not as good as the Sony above.

What do you guys think will make a more enjoyable experience in the long run ? 6 extra inches or better image quality ?

Thanks

Jesus.

Make sure when you are judging picture quality that you have the remote in hand so you can make the proper adjustments as just viewing them as set up in the showroom floor isn't a good way to judge. Size is always nice but I'm one who prefers the best picture between those sizes as 52" is still a nice viewing experience. If the picture is just slightly better then the bigger one would be my choice.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The difference between 52 and 58 inches isn't huge. I'd much rather go for quality here (I always choose quality over quantity), but in this case, I think quality is subjective. I find the plasmas (such as the pnxxc7000 and 8000 series you mention) give a much smoother, film like image where the led lcds like the Sony you mention give a sharper image with more "bling."

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would lean towards getting the largest screen that you can. The size is fixed and you can't do anything about it. However, you can always get the TV professionally calibrated which in most cases will drastically improve picture quality.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim /forum/post/19630943

I would lean towards getting the largest screen that you can. The size is fixed and you can't do anything about it. However, you can always get the TV professionally calibrated which in most cases will drastically improve picture quality.

that's also a cost factor one has to put in if they want to go that route but it also would be true of both sets as maybe the smaller one can do even better than the bigger one in being professionally calibrated. If a person is thinking pro calibration it might be best to get in contact with a calibrator to discuss the expectations out of both sets to help determine the best choice.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:

Thanks

Jesus.

1. Have you looked at the sets under lighting that at least somewhat matches that of your home viewing environment? If you are making your judgement based simply at looking at the tvs in a store like BestBuy or Fry's with their bright fluorescent lighting, then you aren't really making an accurate judgement of the picture quality of each set. The viewing environment of BB/Frys (along with the likely "torch" picture setting they use for most LCDs) makes even the best plasma look dim or washed out comapred to LCD/LED.

2. If you are simply judging based on the picture settings the tvs are currently set at, that's also a very inaccurate way to draw conclusions. Changing the picture settings can have a very significant effect on the image quality for any tv. Preferably, you will want to see if you can view both tvs where each has been properly calibrated and then make a judgement.

3. If you want 3D, the overwhelming consensus seems to be that plasma is significantly better in that department vs LCD. So if you haven't done so already, I would try and view each tv with 3D content and the appropriate 3D glasses. I would also be very wary of getting a tv now specifically for its 3D capabilities. This is just my opinion, but 3D is in its infancy (the current models are basically v1.0 as far as 3D goes) so it might be best to wait to see what gets announced in January in terms of 3D at CES.

4. Comparing contrast ratios between manufacturers is pointless. Each manufacturer has their own way of measuring/inflating these numbers. I suggest doing a quick google search on contrast ratio and learning some more information on why the numbers reported by the manufacturer cannot be trusted.

5. Again, unless you have compared them in an environment that is similar to your home's lighting and that you are sure that you have adjusted the picture settings on each set to your satisfaction (preferably calibrated), I would be really careful about judging one tv of higher "quality" over the other. LCD/LEDs are significantly more expensive than comparably sized plasmas but that definitely doesn't mean by any stretch that LCD/LED produces a better picture. In fact, if you take a moment to browse through the forum here, you will see that many of the enthusiasts on this site prefer plasma due to its more natural-looking image, better off-angle viewing, better motion handling, and arguably better black levels. Some people do prefer the look of LCD/LED so if that's you, that's fine, just make sure you are making your judgement under the appropriate lighting conditions with the appropriate picture settings.

6. Finally, I would go with the bigger tv. The number one regret from new tv purchasers has been that they wish they had gone bigger. I am not personally familiar with the two tvs you have highlighted (so this is just my opinion here and I could be totally wrong) but my guess would be that if both are properly calibrated, there won't be that big of a difference in PQ such that it is going to detract from your day-to-day viewing experience (in 2D anyways).

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew /forum/post/19630877

The difference between 52 and 58 inches isn't huge. I'd much rather go for quality here (I always choose quality over quantity), but in this case, I think quality is subjective. I find the plasmas (such as the pnxxc7000 and 8000 series you mention) give a much smoother, film like image where the led lcds like the Sony you mention give a sharper image with more "bling."

I would disagree with it's not a huge difference you will gain almost 25% more screen going with a 58in Plasma.

·
Registered
638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra1972 /forum/post/19634650

I would disagree with it's not a huge difference you will gain almost 25% more screen going with a 58in Plasma.

That gain only gets you a foot to a foot and a half closer to the ideal viewing distance. A 50 inch TV at 8.5 feet will look like a 58 inch TV at 10 feet.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
These two specific sets are very different animals...

Some of this will come down to opinion, taste, and needs...

Jarango, you say "quality" is the SONY, so does that mean you looked at the set and it appeared to be better looking then the samsung? If you feel that way, then the choice is clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys,

I decided to go with the 52" Sony. I understand what Matt L and Matt L said about contrast ratio, but when looking at the Sony and the 8000 series of the Samung (which is better than the 680) there is not denying that the Sony has a much better contrast. I mean, the blacks look like if the TV was off. It is impressive.

I also agree with psychobrew that the 58 Samsung, and Plasmas in general, produce a smoother, film like image, but I am not sure if I like that. It seems fine for some sources but not others. I think smoothness should be a property of the source and not of the equipment. For example, in avatar the image is more impressive if the reproduction is sharp instead of smooth.

What finally threw me in the direction of the Sony was the wise advise of my wife. She said "Lets go look at any pair of 52 and 58 TVs side by side to get a feeling of the difference is size. To be honest, it didn't look like much. I think I was overestimating the difference in size by looking at each set individually.

Jesus

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
For what it's worth, I think you made the right call. IMHO the plasma display specificly excells in film media reproduction. But there are ever-increasing amounts of video on the Web, video games, animated graphics, and digital movies like Avatar which never were recorded on film, and for which a "film look" is inappropriate. Such video looks best on a bright crisp LCD display.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Quote:

Thanks

Jesus.

Better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts