AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I do not own both. I have the Toshiba DST-3000 and it pulls in the OTA stations very well. I'm in a hilly area with dense tall trees and about 15-20 miles from the transmitters. I get nearly 100% signal strength and very steady. I have not had any problems with dropouts.

I did have to experiment with good antenna placement. I have a Radio Shack double bow tie and a Terk 55 in the attic. As I've posted elsewhere, the Terk serves the limited role of pulling in a VHF DT station that we have here. Otherwise, the double bow tie would have been sufficient.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have used the both a DST50 and a 51. I have also used the Mits version of the DST3000. All three where used on the same setup.

The Mits was much better at reception. I never had one dropout, even though the antennae in under the roof.

The DST's did have a lot of dropouts. I thought the quality of the picture was about the same, maybe a slight edge to the mits.

·
Registered
983 Posts
If you don't want to get stuck with only listening to second language (SAP/Spanish) you better get the Toshiba. The Panasonic DST-50/51 defaults to an alternate language and there is no way to switch it.

Also, the DST-3000 has a newer, more multipath immune, receiver chip-set. It also supports a PSIP progam guide and closed captioning.

------------------

Visit http://pub1.ezboard.com/fdigitaltele...isionnewsforum for news and information on DTV and HDTV

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have both the Panasonic TUDST51 and the Toshiba DST3000. The Toshiba blows away the Panasonic on OTA reception. It received stations that the Panasonic would not even lock on. I recently moved to a better reception area and now both work fine but in a bad area with lots of multipath go with the Toshiba.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis:
One quick note about the Toshiba. I looked at the rear panel on this unit at Best Buy and it has only one antenna input. So, if like me, you use 2 antennas pointed towards 2 different cities (DC & Baltimore), you would have to come up with an external solution.
Yes and no. I have the DST 3000. True, it has two inputs. But, they both can be used as antenna inputs. Of course, doing so means that you cannot use the DirecTV satellite. I just wanted to point this out in case someone only wanted the box for OTA reception. The set-up menu allows you to assign which channel comes from which input (antenna 1 or antenna 2).

Slightly restated, if you are using the DST 3000 as a DirecTV tuner, then you only have one antenna input to use. If you do not use DirecTV, you have two antenna inputs available to use. The "satellite in" connector can either be used for the satellite feed or another antenna feed.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonATL:

Slightly restated, if you are using the DST 3000 as a DirecTV tuner, then you only have one antenna input to use. If you do not use DirecTV, you have two antenna inputs available to use. The "satellite in" connector can either be used for the satellite feed or another antenna feed.
I think if you use a diplexer you can use the satellite in for DirecTV and antenna.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the Hughes 6000. It works quite well.

I only have one antennae input but I put a rotor on the antennae and I get stations in more than two directions.

------------------

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.