AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished setting up my Windows XP MCE box and I'm nearing the point where I can install it into my home theater (the centerpiece of this is a Dwin Transvision 3 HD2 DLP PJ).

The graphics card I chose was the Asus version of the NVidia FX5200 with DVI output and supports 1280X720 natively (and I have verified that my install of MCE works fine in 16:9). I also just ordered a Sony DRU-500AX DVD+-R/RW for DVDs. The DVD codec that came with this MCE box was from NVidia, but I could easily choose another.

I currently have a 1.5 year old $250~300 progressive scan DVD player from JVC: the SV-SA70 which i use only for DVDs, not DVD-Audio. I have been happy with the quality from this player through the Dwin, but I'm sure that there could be better.

Question: will my MCE-based HTPC via DVI do better than the JVC and playing standard DVDs? Can I safely remove it from the system? A/Bing is a little challenging just due to a cramped A/V cabinet.

Opinions are greatly appreciated. If there are substantially better DVD codecs out there, that is also helpful advice (note that I would prefer to use the MCE GUI/remote to do the playing).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(shameless bump)

I guess maybe this has been discussed too often because I don't imagine people don't have an opinion here. If I decide to ditch my consumer-electronics style progressive scan JVC DVD player, what will I be missing?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey Dude,

If you ditch the dvd player, you'll probably be happier in the long haul (after you are done tweaking the htpc of course). I just built a HTPC that replaces my Philips dvd player. The shear fact that I have one less component is kinda cool. But the picture qt is really noticable. I still have some minonr issues.. like getting a remote, but it's well on it's way.

At the very least, hang on to the dvd player until you get everything running through the new unit.

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
xkode2002,

I don't have a HTPC, but I do have the same DVD player. I recently bought a Bravo D1 to use with my L300u. Thru the component outputs from the bravo, the picture was better than the JVC, with much less noise and ringing. I think with a properly set up HTPC, the picture will be a lot better.

Darren.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My biggest worry is that I'm not sure if software does 3:2 pulldown (or deinterlacing or whatever) as well as the dedicated hardware in a consumer electronics device.

Is there a particular DVD decoder that works well with WinXP MCE's UI that will give me the best result?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.