AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ECP 4100 mounted to the ceiling 13ft from a 100" screen. Under this set-up the picture is OK. However it's nowhere near near the clarity of a Plazma screen. I was told that if I moved the the projector closer to the screen, thus reducing the size of the screen, I would receive a better quality picture (this wouls mean I could not use all of the 100" screen). Can you think of any alternatives that would allow me to maintain the screen size and achieve a picture quality that surpasses a plazma screen? Note: Since I use dscaler, a line doubler would be ruled out...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
100" is HUGE for a 7" CRT. I would suggest 80" or maybe 90" TOPS for a perfectly dark room on a 1.3 gain screen. If you have a 2.0 or higher, you could possibly go 100" with some quality loss.

I'm a bit of a videophile myself, and I MUCH prefer a smaller image on a 1.3 gain screen VS a larger image on high gain screen.

Your CRT properly set up should look better than a plasma image.

Oz

·
Registered
198 Posts
My ECP4100 (w/07MS) is 124" from the screen.

screen size is 80 x 45 DIY painted blackout 1.3 gain

image good and sharp, you may want to reduce your distance to the screen. 13ft is slightly excessive and it is probably why you have lost some clarity/shapness. The ecp likes a distance of

1.5 x width of screen.

good luck

carlos_r

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A 4100 with a good setup, will exceed a Plasma monitor quality (in terms of details and precision of the image) without many problems.

If it doesn't happen, in my opinion, try to setup again your pj, or ask for the intervention of a good technician.

In any case, I'd avoid to get a greater raster size without knowing exactly the real limits of the tubes.

Obtaining a greater raster size surely will increase the image quality a bit, but requires the good knowledge of the pj and the tubes...

Romano

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.