AVS Forum banner

Which movie has better PQ?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that King Kong is Tier 1 now? And Pirates Dead Man's Chest is Tier 0? Is that correct? What do you guys think has better picture quality?

I think King Kong has better PQ then "The Curse of Black Pearl", but i don't have "Dead Man's Chest".

What do you guys think

·
UHD Addict
37,776 Posts
I think PotC looked slightly better, but either way they all look excellent.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I've seen them, and King Kong edges out DMC.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/0

Ok, but does PotC really deserve to be on another Tier level?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
PotC is the new standard in HD. It is the best of the best. Nearly all professional reviewers have made statements similar to this.

~Josh

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 /forum/post/0

Ok, but does PotC really deserve to be on another Tier level?

That is because the owner of the HD-DVD tier thread has recently moved from being a neutral and positive community contributor to being a hardcore Blu-Ray fanboy and in his drive to make everyone believe that everything is better in Blu, he has ignored the opinions of other posters and unilaterally made the decision to move several of the Tier 0 HD-DVD releases down to Tier 1.

·
Registered
26,930 Posts
May as well title this thread, "Who do you want to win? Blu Ray or HD DVD"?

·
Registered
770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

PREACH ON BROTHER!

One more useless Battle thread. No wait, I love the battle threads for the sheer comedy.

NEXT!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/0

That is because the owner of the HD-DVD tier thread has recently moved from being a neutral and positive community contributor to being a hardcore Blu-Ray fanboy and in his drive to make everyone believe that everything is better in Blu, he has ignored the opinions of other posters and unilaterally made the decision to move several of the Tier 0 HD-DVD releases down to Tier 1.

Ok, as long as im not the only one who noticed he's a hardcore Blu-ray fanboy..That's all i was getting at with this thread really..

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
^^^^

Is somebody a bit bitter about losing another HD-DVD fanatic, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.VOID /forum/post/0

PREACH ON BROTHER!

One more useless Battle thread. No wait, I love the battle threads for the sheer comedy.

NEXT!

Yup, already one good laugh

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think they are on par. Where is that poll option?

I didn't know the guy who ran the Tier thread did not put KK in Tier 0. Shame on him.

POTC's picture quality is excellent, but nothing better than "Casanova" and a bunch of other HD DVD and BD movies that also deserve Tier 0. I think the statements about "setting new picture quality standards" are laughable. Not surprising, coming from BD fans and spokespeople.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

Well there are far more BD owners out there...Why is Kong winning the pole?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/0

Agreed. POTC edges out KK in the dark scenes IMO.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:

Because this is AVS and the majority here are HD DVD supporters.

The small sample at this time could also have something to do with that.

edit: fwiw I didn't vote because as a non dual-format owner I am not able to honestly judge the difference in the PQ of these movies

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcho /forum/post/0

I think they are on par. Where is that poll option?

I didn't know the guy who ran the Tier thread did not put KK in Tier 0. Shame on him.

POTC's picture quality is excellent, but nothing better than "Casanova" and a bunch of other HD DVD and BD movies that also deserve Tier 0. I think the statements about "setting new picture quality standards" are laughable. Not surprising, coming from BD fans and spokespeople.

KK was Tier 0 Since the threads inception but Fett as over the last few months walked the path to full blown BD fanboy and as the thread owner has taken a democracy and turned it into a Monarchy where he just decides where everything goes.

Which wasn't that hard to see, he was a very early adopter of HD-DVD but only after hearing about the failings of BD early admitting several times that he thought BD was going to be the end all. He became a large support of HD-DVD during the BD recovery phase but have collapses every couple of months. One specifically was the Paramount confusion and what he called crappy quality of Sleepy Hollow and Italian Job. In fact Sleepy Hollow was I think his reason for starting the thread. He started throwing Pessimistic FUD all over the place.

That was the problem, he from the very beginning was very Pessimistic with HD-DVD he admitted it was better at the time but he seemed to be looking for problems to blow way out of proportion. In reality he should have done what NYG and NeyYorksomething did and when BD finally caught up in quality maid a quite conversion to BD fan like he wanted to originally. But like some people he takes the practically joke ownership of a device as making him format nuetral when he knows and we know he has a severe bias.

I don't mind people who are format neutral or BD fans. Heck my hatred for BD has almost nothing to do with Sony, price or quality. But FUD spreaders and people who use dual ownership to spread lies or severely bend the truth (like they are a PR puppet) disgust me.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I think the real question should be:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to watch King Kong more than once?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:

Start a thread called: Matrix 1 vs Dead Man's Chest PQ - which is better?

And I'll bet Matrix would win. Even though it's not as good as Dead Man's Chest PQ-wise.

Also there are fanboys voting who haven't seen either of these films.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/0

KK was Tier 0 Since the threads inception but Fett as over the last few months walked the path to full blown BD fanboy and as the thread owner has taken a democracy and turned it into a Monarchy where he just decides where everything goes.

Of course he decides where everything goes, it's his tier thread.

A Blu Ray movie takes the cake for the best looking hd movie on either format and then we get crying about not being fair? That is damn hilarious!

Dead Man's Chest is absolutely the finest movie on high definition out there. I have seen King Kong on HD-DVD (previous owner of format) and while it nearly flawless, it just can't quite touch DMC. No shame in being second best.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts