AVS Forum banner

Which movie has better PQ?

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Crank had great PQ... too bad the rest of the film is... well you know

DMC is good for Blu-Ray, despite the additional storage and bandwidth Blu-Ray FINALLY pulled off movie which looks better than HD DVD movies only a mere six months after King Kong. Is it enough to justify the purchase of a BD player? No

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox /forum/post/0

I thought Crank looked better than Pirates lol.... Call me crazy

same here, though I'd rate it the worst of the three for actual story, etc. Had some good laughs at how ridiculous it was though. Best part about it was that I rented it from Hollywood Video and they forgot to take off the security device and my friends shattered the case, nonsense just like the movie, lol

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/0

He has to he has to place it but on several occasions changes where made and movies where reviewed later. But there wouldn't 110 plages on his little thread and it wouldn't be a sticky if he just picked the spot and said F'off. But that is exactly how he approached KK and Hulk when it came to his redefined super Tier.

You have proof of this? Seriously.

As I said, I had a terrible run-in with Fettastic, but give the guy a frickin' break. He's human, he has an opinion, and sure that opinion is probably influenced by his format choice. How much? Who knows... but you're basing all your statements on the perception that he's not picking your format.

But, hello, read this thread. People are picking their preference ONLY because of which format it's on. How many posts actually SAY what's better about one or the other?

Let's make it at least one...

I recall not being terribly impressed with KK (haven't watched it in a few months), so I voted for Pirates -- a sharper picture over all, and a greater color fidelity. Particularly in the "promotion" scene of Pirates 1, the costumes -- like Governor Swan's blue suit -- just punch out of the screen (I'm ISFed btw).

-Pie

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0

Crank had great PQ... too bad the rest of the film is... well you know

DMC is good for Blu-Ray, despite the additional storage and bandwidth Blu-Ray FINALLY pulled off movie which looks better than HD DVD movies only a mere six months after King Kong. Is it enough to justify the purchase of a BD player? No

You haven't seen Underworld: Evolution I take it. I have a CRT TV, so it loves the blacks that were so prevelant in U:E, and it also beat out KK in my book.... er, TV

Obviously you're entrenched in the HD-DVD camp, so no movie will make you consider a Blu-Ray player. But Open Season was absolutely astounding... and so too Pirates.

-Pie

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie /forum/post/0

As I said, I had a terrible run-in with Fettastic, but give the guy a frickin' break.

Yeah, and you guys both should have been banned from AVS for life for that little spat.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

May as well title this thread, "Who do you want to win? Blu Ray or HD DVD"?

Agreed. Don't we have enough of these threads?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/0

Just a quick reminder of why King Kong was hailed as such fantastic HD.

Look at the detail in this cityscape:

You can clearly see compression in that shot.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0

I think the real question should be:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to watch King Kong more than once?

funny i could say the same thing about dead mans chest....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie /forum/post/0

You haven't seen Underworld: Evolution I take it. I have a CRT TV, so it loves the blacks that were so prevelant in U:E, and it also beat out KK in my book.... er, TV

Obviously you're entrenched in the HD-DVD camp, so no movie will make you consider a Blu-Ray player. But Open Season was absolutely astounding... and so too Pirates.

-Pie

I have seen Underworld:Evolution and it beats out KK in my book just because it was watchable (but I also own U:E on HDDVD so it isn't really fair to the BD side)

Open Season was a DREADFUL "film" however I just couldn't bring myself to pay $30 for it (I did buy the $6 DVD for my 3 and 1 year old however)

I prefer HDDVD but I also own a BD player and thought the Pirates movies looked very good (DMC is another film that to me is barely watchable) I purchased DMC on BD to see if it helped but nope Kiera wasn't nude for almost 2 hours which would have been one of the few things that could have made me watch this more than once, pretty picture and all. King Kong is the same way for me. Looks great but the movie is dreadful, overly long, bad dialogue, Jack Black etc...

I hate that the studios are holding us hostage to content (on both sides) just like they always have (Disney being one of the worst with their "vault"). I personally am thrilled to actually see things being released at all that I enjoy on either format. All this bickering about what looks best blah blah blah I have noticed that sadly the movies that everyone holds up as being "Tier 0" are pretty awful films for the most part. How can Spartacus not get bettter treatment than The Hulk?

IMO folks should stop whining about what color box they bought and start complaining about getting good movies that have been well tended to. Little Man may look spectacular in HD but I will never know

·
Registered
3,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/0

I couldn't disagree more with the above statement. I have seen and own both movies. I also have seen the matrix. I have to say that after hearing the hype of how awesome The Matrix and POTC DMC were, I was a tad dissapointed in both. Don't misunderstand, they both look great,(and are great movies IMO) but I don't think they look any better than the other top tier titles. I did enjoy the experience of watching both in HD!

I agree.

However, one big advantage that POTC 2 has over KK is that there are actually real tropical islands in the movie, as opposed to pure CGI creations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
POTC is unbeatable no one can do it with the same specs on HD-DVD.

Stop throwing lies and FUD stop doing this face facts face the truth.Wake up from your illusion and balme only other manufacturers giving you a loosing format.

Go now to Digitalbits.com and read the review of POTC got 20 for PQ and 20 For SQ

BD IS the future HD nothing else.

Read now Digitalbits and face the facts.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion /forum/post/0

Read now Digitalbits and face the facts.

What a joke dude, you act like the Digital Bits is scripture. Not everyone around here worships that publication like yourself.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
I am format neutral and watched POTC2 last night on Blu-Ray. It is the best movie for either format I have ever seen.

Not that it matters. I have a feeling most people voting on this are not format neutral and are just voting for their format of choice. Sometimes I think my 2 year old is more mature than half the grown men who post on this site..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I actually prefer Hi def digest for reviews of movies I buy on HD DVD and BD. They don't show a bias for either format.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts