AVS Forum banner

Which movie has better PQ?

Better PQ? Pirates: Dead Man's Chest VS King Kong

9K views 108 replies 64 participants last post by  donricouga 
#1 ·
I noticed that King Kong is Tier 1 now? And Pirates Dead Man's Chest is Tier 0? Is that correct? What do you guys think has better picture quality?

I think King Kong has better PQ then "The Curse of Black Pearl", but i don't have "Dead Man's Chest".

What do you guys think

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie /forum/post/0

You haven't seen Underworld: Evolution I take it. I have a CRT TV, so it loves the blacks that were so prevelant in U:E, and it also beat out KK in my book.... er, TV

Obviously you're entrenched in the HD-DVD camp, so no movie will make you consider a Blu-Ray player. But Open Season was absolutely astounding... and so too Pirates.

-Pie

I have seen Underworld:Evolution and it beats out KK in my book just because it was watchable (but I also own U:E on HDDVD so it isn't really fair to the BD side)

Open Season was a DREADFUL "film" however I just couldn't bring myself to pay $30 for it (I did buy the $6 DVD for my 3 and 1 year old however)

I prefer HDDVD but I also own a BD player and thought the Pirates movies looked very good (DMC is another film that to me is barely watchable) I purchased DMC on BD to see if it helped but nope Kiera wasn't nude for almost 2 hours which would have been one of the few things that could have made me watch this more than once, pretty picture and all. King Kong is the same way for me. Looks great but the movie is dreadful, overly long, bad dialogue, Jack Black etc...

I hate that the studios are holding us hostage to content (on both sides) just like they always have (Disney being one of the worst with their "vault"). I personally am thrilled to actually see things being released at all that I enjoy on either format. All this bickering about what looks best blah blah blah I have noticed that sadly the movies that everyone holds up as being "Tier 0" are pretty awful films for the most part. How can Spartacus not get bettter treatment than The Hulk?

IMO folks should stop whining about what color box they bought and start complaining about getting good movies that have been well tended to. Little Man may look spectacular in HD but I will never know

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/0

I couldn't disagree more with the above statement. I have seen and own both movies. I also have seen the matrix. I have to say that after hearing the hype of how awesome The Matrix and POTC DMC were, I was a tad dissapointed in both. Don't misunderstand, they both look great,(and are great movies IMO) but I don't think they look any better than the other top tier titles. I did enjoy the experience of watching both in HD!

I agree.

However, one big advantage that POTC 2 has over KK is that there are actually real tropical islands in the movie, as opposed to pure CGI creations.

#56 ·
POTC is unbeatable no one can do it with the same specs on HD-DVD.

Stop throwing lies and FUD stop doing this face facts face the truth.Wake up from your illusion and balme only other manufacturers giving you a loosing format.

Go now to Digitalbits.com and read the review of POTC got 20 for PQ and 20 For SQ

BD IS the future HD nothing else.

Read now Digitalbits and face the facts.

#58 ·
I am format neutral and watched POTC2 last night on Blu-Ray. It is the best movie for either format I have ever seen.

Not that it matters. I have a feeling most people voting on this are not format neutral and are just voting for their format of choice. Sometimes I think my 2 year old is more mature than half the grown men who post on this site..

#61 ·
Here is the reason why Dead Man's Chest is the new gold standard in PQ. I know ...it stupid to determine a movie's PQ with just a screen shot but someone gotta rein in rdjam's blatant fanboyism:

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion /forum/post/0

POTC is unbeatable no one can do it with the same specs on HD-DVD.

Sure they could. Most of the disc is under 20mbit video bitrate, and the peaks are only as high as they are because the encoders had no incentive to chop them down. Batman Begins, King Kong and others prove there's no need for more than 22/23mbit peaks with modern codecs.

Now certainly it would take a lot longer to do as good a job with HDDVD's bandwidth limitations, and that would cost the studio doing it a lot more, but that's not the same thing is saying it's impossible.

#63 ·
aftster,

You are forgetting the 6.9mbps PCM track which could be compressed down to ~4-5 mbps TrueHD, the english, spanish, and french tracks (640kbps each), and commentary track. King Kong does not prove 22mbps peaks are enough, you can easily see compression artifacts during high motion scenes.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0

Here is the reason why Dead Man's Chest is the new gold standard in PQ. I know ...it stupid to determine a movie's PQ with just a screen shot but someone gotta rein in rdjam's blatant fanboyism:

I know you've been told already in another thread, but when you downsample a 1080p to view at 720p, the way you have, it creates an artificial appearance of each display pixel being sharper than it really is, and hides a lot of noise.

Why would you not post the 1080p capture?

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/0

I know you've been told already in another thread, but when you downsample a 1080p to view at 720p, the way you have, it creates an artificial appearance of each display pixel being sharper than it really is, and hides a lot of noise.

Why would you not post the 1080p capture?

For the 1000th time, not everyone has access to 1080p equipment.
Why don't you provide your own screen captures instead of relying on Xylon's work?

I am not saying you could determine the overall PQ of a movie with one screen shot but is it really that hard on you to believe another movie could actually surpassed King Kong in PQ. Do you really believe King Kong will be the best looking HD movie FOREVER?

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo /forum/post/0

How can grown men actually care about topics like this? Seriously...they are just formats people. Get a grip on reality.

BTW it is my opinion that anyone who is a hardcore fanboy of either format and acts like it blows the other away in quality is an idiot. I own both and they are equal in what they do. That is the beauty of being format neutral...you see how ridiculous the bickering is over this stuff.

I must say I love some of the replies here. So if you say kong is better then you are biased for hd-dvd. If you say DMC looks better than you are biased for blu-ray. Hilarious how people simply aren't allowed to possibly prefer one over the other without being biased. I received my copy of DMC today but I lent it to my dad so I will have to wait to see if I think it is superior to Kong although I do not even know how I can define which is better since they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT MOVIES.

I can't wait for the day there is just one format so I don't have to be embarrassed by how grown men act over something SO TRIVIAL.

Hear, Hear! Honestly, I never knew things could get so nasty on this subject! It's just peoples opinions! The sad fact is that as early adopters, I would have thought we'd all be sharing useful tips and info on here, not barking put-downs and poo-pooing other peoples purchasing descisions.

I put my thoughts (just my opinions) about the Kong vs POTC issue on another forum and basically got put in my place till I shut up! There's nothing at all wrong in being passionate about new and upcoming technology (I know I am!), but really, all the bickering is just dreadful!

Bring back Laserdisc thats what I say!

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion /forum/post/0

It is totally HD-DVD biased ,so the word itself can talk.No discussion about this subject anymore.

Yes they are completely HD DVD biased, which is why they give many Blu-Ray movies perfect ratings in PQ and AQ

Their forum moderators are extremely biased, no doubt there whatsoever. The movie reviewing is very good.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/0

What a joke dude, you act like the Digital Bits is scripture. Not everyone around here worships that publication like yourself.

My friend if you are saying this about Digitalbits,what about ***************,Upcomingdiscs,EVEN highdefdigest and now DVDreview where they surprised by the astounding of PQ and SQ...Face the facts and watch your comment before.

Another clue from DVDreview which is a HDDVD biased showing their experience in POTC:

"From the opening water ripples, we realize that this transfer is of the same caliber as the first Pirates movie, and some parts actually look better, if you can believe it. The ripples in the water and the leaves on the island look 3-dimensional. Every little detail, miles in the background, is visible. Your jaw will drop to the floor in amazement, yet again. Davy Jones may be one of the most amazing digital characters since Gollum or Jar Jar Binks, he rides the middle line of being just as annoying as both, if not more so. Either way, his character looks so crystal clear and realistic, you will simply not believe your eyes! The people at Industrial Light and Magic have outdone themselves this time. I didn't see any edge enhancement or even the slightest shimmer, even in the fast action scenes. All of the things you may have been reading about this transfer are completely true, it is an experience you won't believe. The colors are so vibrant and the picture is so sharp, you can see every crack in the bricks of the castles and every grain pattern on the wooden ships and the old fashioned glass is simply amazing to look at. And the costumes have a texture and dimensional quality the likes of which I have simply never seen before, this is one eye opening experience to say the least, it is completely mind blowing. What is really impressive is that you can see where all the money went in this super-expensive production and using 50 GB seems to be the perfect way to do so. Blu-ray has really set the bar quite high with these releases, and it may be awhile before anyone approaches this level of quality.

Acoustically, we have an outstanding PCM Uncompressed track that really delivers the goods, as you may have expected. The sound field is always very wide and the dynamic range is very well rendered. This movie has so many explosions and splashes and cannon fire, it keeps the surround speakers constantly working, not to mention the huge workout your subwoofer will get when the Kraken attacks. And let's not forget the wonderful score by Hans Zimmer which compliments not just the action, but the scenes of humor and drama as well. Not only will you want this as a visual demo disc, but it has everything you could possibly want in the way of sound. Sound wise, this film will amaze and astound, it is a sonic masterpiece in every way.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/0

Sure they could. Most of the disc is under 20mbit video bitrate, and the peaks are only as high as they are because the encoders had no incentive to chop them down. Batman Begins, King Kong and others prove there's no need for more than 22/23mbit peaks with modern codecs.

Now certainly it would take a lot longer to do as good a job with HDDVD's bandwidth limitations, and that would cost the studio doing it a lot more, but that's not the same thing is saying it's impossible.

Hello,

i recommend you to visit *************** and read the review again and see how AVC higher bit rate for PQ on POTC is marvelous and the average is 35 mbs and not like you have mentioned it.It is clear too on upcomingdiscs.com

Revise what you have said talk the truth

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindizzle /forum/post/0

aftster,

You are forgetting the 6.9mbps PCM track which could be compressed down to ~4-5 mbps TrueHD, the english, spanish, and french tracks (640kbps each), and commentary track. King Kong does not prove 22mbps peaks are enough, you can easily see compression artifacts during high motion scenes.

Good Reply and Point of view

#74 ·
Dual format owner. I own both titles.

I personally thought DMC was a better transfer than King Kong. Then again, my eye isn't the sharpest-I never thought Kong looked all that spectacular. Maybe it's my feelings about the movie that are coloring my perception.

To my admittedly flawed eye, the Matrix movies look superior to both.

#75 ·
after going between the two for what was about 2hrs, i think its easy to say if you take away a format biased slant that DMC just edges out KING KONG, but both are the defining points of both formats and HD in general

#76 ·
Add this to the list of retarted polls, and threads.

Must everything be a D1ick measuring contest?

Oooo this movie has less blocking than this movie, this movie does not have a shimmering staircase. Gimme a break!

It's not gonna matter how good the PQ is, if its a hardcore fanboy, he will vote with the format he is invested in. Jack Sparrow himself can pop out of the movie and french kiss you, and HDDVD fans would say "King Kong is better"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.