AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of weeks I have been looking for a new tube widescreen TV, then I realized for as much as I am going to spend on a 30" tube, when not for about the same amount get a 42" rear-projection? The only problem is, is that I know nothing about rear-projection. Is the PQ as good, or is it better? What about burn-in? All these things are concerns to me.

The two units I am comparing right now are the Toshiba 30HF83 and the Toshiba 42HDX82.

If someone can answer my questions or compare these two TVs if you have the knowledge, I will be very happy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 36" non HD Wega and a 65" Mits HDTV. If you would be to ask me which one looks the best I would say that it depends on what you wanna watch. If you want to watch DVDs and HDTV than I would say that the 65" is the way to go. But...if I just want to watch regular Sat. than I use my 36". The bigger the screen the more the set shows the flaws in the signal. And Directv uses so much compression that some of the shows look pretty crappy when blown up on my RPTV.

As for burn in, as long as you calibrate your set using a set up disk like avia, and you dont spend much of your time watching the shopping channel or playing marathon length video games than it is pretty much a non issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The set up disk is pretty much self explanatory. An easier one to use is the SOUND AND VISION Home theater Tune Up disc. Or you could go the extra mile and have the set professionally callibrated by an ISF Tech.

If i were you I would decide what programming is most important to you. If you are going to watch 90% reg Sat. than I would go for a DV set. But if HomeTheater is at least 1/2 of your viewing than a RPTV is the right choice. IMO!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say 50% of my TV use is HD, or prog. scan, but if it's just regular 480i, I don't really care how bad it looks. I mean, obviously, I don't want the picture to look like crap, but if it's HD, or 480p, I obvisouly want it to look good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have a custom built in so I only have room for a 36" tube TV or a small table top Rear Projection TV like the Mitsubishi WT-42313. I'm wondering the same thing. My wife and three-year-old daughter have a ton of video tapes and will be watching Friends and Barney 90% of the time. I'm thinking I should buy a 16x9 set for the future but they will probably be better today with a 36"4:3 analog set. I'm worried that my viewing angles with the Mitsubishi will be poor since the TV will be sitting on a shelf 35" off the ground. I can't make up my mind if I should buy a Mitsubishi WT-42313 or a Sony KV-36FS100?

Thanks Gombo

·
Registered
194 Posts
afro, sounds to me like you already made up your mind. Get the HDRPTV.

Gombo, dont sweat the viewing angles. They are way better on my 65" Mits than I expected them to be. Besides 35" off the floor sounds just about perfect. One thing that I should note is that even though I watch most of my regular Sat on the 36" set, I also watch it on the big screen. I even watch an occasional VHS tape on it. Also there is a HUGE difference between a 65" and a 42" set. Remember the smaller the screen the less you are likely to see the compression artifacts and the other upconversion problems. But take my word when I say the after you see a dvd movie or something in high def you will NEVER regret your purchase of a 16x9 RPTV!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.