AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 37" Vizio in the living room and a 32" Vizio in my bedroom... an outdoor antenna is hooked to a multiswitch which both tv's are routed to... so they have the same antenna feed yet the tv in the bedroom gets much better OTA reception than the one in the living room. The living room tv is about a year older.. I've changed the original coax (rg-59) to R6 in the living room... nothing seems to work... could it be the tv's?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Could be a difference in the DTV tuners.

Could be a cable or connector issue.

Could be a multiswitch issue. What 'multiswitch' are you using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/16957942

Could be a difference in the DTV tuners.

Could be a cable or connector issue.

Could be a multiswitch issue. What 'multiswitch' are you using?

I'm going to get the "multiswitch" info tomorrow as it's in my attic... then come back and give that info... I'm leaning towards believing that it's the dtv tuners on the tv which would be bad as that would be tougher to deal with.. Do you think just switching spots on the multiswitch could make a difference.. it's an 8 port multiswitch and i'm only using 3 of the ports...

·
Registered
779 Posts
if you have poor performance on one cable, port, switch position it is always good to undo and redo the connections as a first step. F connectors can very easily make bad connections. just redoing a connection can change loose or no contact to tight contact. just redoing can clean a connection (scrape corrosion off) of the plug and jack and make good connection again.

see the center wire is neither too long or short and isn't corroded. see that the shield braid isn't broken or loose or protruding to the inside of the connector. these issues can either cause no signal or poor signal.

when you insert the center wire you should feel the slightest resistance. if you feel no resistance then give the center wire just the slightest curve or bend to off center.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts
Carry the 32" from the bedroom to the living room. Disconnet coax from the 37" TV and connect to the 32".

If you have good reception... then that eliminates cables, connectors and the multiswitch as the "problem".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will get in there this evening or in the morning to review all of the connections. I did fail to mention that the room to the living room is slightly longer than to the bedroom. So that could be an issue as well but little that I may be able to do about it. I suppose a preamp could do the trick there...

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Also, use a splitter with only the number of taps on it that you need. Extra ones decrease signal strength, even if they're not being used. If your signal's borderline, it could make a difference in intermittent and good solid reception.

The TV swap is the best thing to try first. Older tuners often don't work as well as newer ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts