AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you first lowered the output of your digital projector with a nd filter and then got a high gain screen. Could you in doing that retain shadow detail, since more light is directed in you way , the high gain screen , at the same time since you lower the light output of the projector and the gain screen room cross reflections ought to impair the picture to a lesser extent or?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think the bottom line is that a gray base screen with gain (e.g. Firehawk) has real benefits in increasing contrast by reducing the amount of stray light that reaches your eyes. I'm not sure what the definition of "room dynamics" is. The Neutral density filter is a factor only to the extent that there is too much light reaching your eyes. In other words, if your system (projector + screen + ambient light conditions) is too bright for your tastes, use a ND filter to cut the light output. If not don't. The ND does not affect contrast ratio.The ND filter only affects absolute black level.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree with DHP. The filter is useful for taming a picture that has excessive brightness. In terms of contrast performance, the best you have to hope for is that with a photo-quality multi-coated filter (such as Hoya) you won't lower the contrast to a noticible degree.

·
Premium Member
24,981 Posts
They're right; go with both. That is, a gray screen to lower black levels (with ambient light, this gives better actual contrast than an ND filter giving the same brightness) and directivity (from which gain comes) to minimize reflection of off-axis light.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mattias

I ran some tests with several samples, some large, some regular size, including a full size (7') curved screen and white screen.

During the day, without a dark room, the HP yields better everything (colors, detail, etc.).

At night, with some light, a HP + filter, gave the same black level as gray screens, with the added flexibility of setting your own black level with diff filters.

To my situation, the HP + filter allows the most flexible good viewing with minimal sacrifices.

Big bonus: The color diff between a HP and gray screen are significant (IMO).

Check it out yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.