AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is HDTV the only way to receive a signal better than 480p? My pioneer DVD player is progressive, but 480p. Most that I have looked at (albeit there are many others) are 480p also. Do we have to settle for this resolution, and the 1080i/720p HDTV with only a limited number of channels? (10 in my area).

Also, is the resolution (480p, etc set by the maker of the media (say a DVD for instance) or can it be changed according the the device that is playing it?

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong with my TV.

HTI 57TWX20B.

·
Registered
523 Posts
DVD's are recorded at 720x480.

The only way to display them at 1080i or 720p would be to scale the image up to that resolution. Unlike on CSI, when you zoom an image up it isn't possible to see the data that was too small to resolve at the 720x480 native resolution. Some scalers may interpret what might have been there to increase the quality a bit.

You CAN scale the image up, but the resulting quality will only be as good as the scaler used. Many people do this with a PC based DVD player. It will still not match a true 1080i or 720p source.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Is your goal to up the resolution, or improve image quality? You might try a DVI out DVD player. I believe some of them do both! The Samsung 931 and Bravo D1 have both been discussed at length here. Pioneer has a new player on the block with their universal (DVD-A/SACD) DVI out progressive scan player. Any one of these might be the answer you're looking for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the DVI out DVD player from Pioneer supports resolutions of 720p or 1080i? I am looking to improve the image quality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With a powerful enough CPU with a DVI output, you can display images at 1080p with Windows Media Player and some downloadable clips from Microsoft and BMWfilms.com. What this means though is that high definition DVDs are closer than we think. I saw a demonstration at CEDIA and was blown away by the picture quality I was seeing, even at a lower bit rate than HDTV. If people in our industry accept Microsoft, I believe we are all in for a pleasant 2004 as far as high definition movies go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But currently we are limited by the DVD encoded format of 480p...so even if I popped a LOTR: Two Towers into my computer with DVI out to my HIT....I would still get 480p...correct?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
All three units will up-convert a standard definition DVD to 480p,720p, or 1080i and deliver those formats as digital video. Go with the native resolution of your set. Since the DLP display is entirely digital, the results are quite nice. Your Hit won't look bad either! :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
HTPC or the DVI DVD players will scale the signal to the higher scan rates. The DVI can save some small losses in D->A->D conversion, and the computer / DVD player may scale a little more cleanly than your set. But the ultimate resolution of your picture is still limited by the 480i on the original disc; you have to wait for HD-DVD or watch real HDTV to get more detail.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pillguy
But currently we are limited by the DVD encoded format of 480p...so even if I popped a LOTR: Two Towers into my computer with DVI out to my HIT....I would still get 480p...correct?
Not quite. You would get whatever resolution and scan rate that the PC is sending to the TV. HOWEVER - you would not get any more detail than could originally be encoded on the DVD. The picture CAN look better, but it is dependent on a lot of factors.

With a fixed resolution TV (DLP, LCD, etc.), the PC will probably do a much better job of scaling the image than the TV will. This would result in a better final image.

With a CRT based TV, it gets more complicated. Final image quality depends in part on the D/A and A/D conversions that the image goes through. The fewer conversions the better obviously.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ninthdragon
Is your goal to up the resolution, or improve image quality? You might try a DVI out DVD player. I believe some of them do both! The Samsung 931 and Bravo D1 have both been discussed at length here. Pioneer has a new player on the block with their universal (DVD-A/SACD) DVI out progressive scan player. Any one of these might be the answer you're looking for.
This Pioneer one sounds like it would really fit my needs. I had been hoping for a SACD DVI player! What is the model number?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I believe that the model number is 59AVi. That number could be incomplete, so I'll try and check it out. The set is brand new with an MSRP of $1600. More to follow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greg3278
If people in our industry accept Microsoft, I believe we are all in for a pleasant 2004 as far as high definition movies go.
Hmmm, I would prefer to keep Microsoft as far away from that end of my home as possible.

I can see it now, waiting for my system to reboot after a blue screen of death and giving it the 3 fingered salute :D

No thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Poor Microsoft :D

Will it ever live down Windows 98?

My HTPC does a heck of a job displaying. Now can't wait to see it on my Panny 50lc13!!! I use WMP as well, and DVDs look mighty nice :D

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Marantz has joined the party with the DV8400 THX Select universal player with DVI out. The list is growing! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.