AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a deposit on Gallo reference 3.1. I have a month before they are available, so want to make sure I made the right decision. I liked the way the speakers sound, but i didnt do much comparing. I know the reviews I read all raved about them. I will be using them for HT and music, with sound quality being the most important factor. My question is...does anyone who has PERSONALLY heard the gallo reference 3.1's recommend another speaker for the same price or less (i paid $2600+tax)?

I will be running them with an old carver 2 channel 300 watt amp until i can upgrade, and i'm probably going to buy a Marantz 8002, but im not possitive yet. I will also eventually add a sub (looking at the Martin Logan line).

Any suggestions will be appreciated....thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nobody has a suggestion that they think rivals the gallo 3.1's for under $3000?

·
Registered
519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12964277

Not really. They sound amazing. You're getting the sub amp too right?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no.....the salesman said he didnt think it was worth it......and they didnt have it set up with it.....does it make a big difference? I will be running some kind of amp on regardless

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12964277

Sure, how about Magneplanar MG 1.6 for $2000? I auditioned both Gallo 3.1 and MG 1.6 in different dealer rooms using the same music. I do believe that rooms can have dramatic effect on sound, much more so than source or amplification. In both set-ups, speakers were positioned far out into the room and away from walls. I listened from the dealer prescribed seating position as well as in near field on my own; however, it is perfectly possible that room interactions influenced my decision.

I liked Gallo; however, I was simply stunned by Maggies. I went back and listened to Gallo again but ended up buying Maggies. To my ears, they resolved more detail, produced wider and deeper soundstage, and sounded more like the real thing especially on classical music. However, MG 1.6 are very large speakers, and will tend to dominate visually all but the largest of rooms. I think Gallo 3.1 are a lot less obtrusive if blending with your existing decor is important.

I suspect that you will be very happy with Gallo 3.1 especially if bought them based on your own listening experience.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My point was to say that there are MANY brands that compete well with your selection, either just above or just below your price range. But, what does it matter, if you've chosen em, like em, and have em on order? But, I will say this, starting off a purchase with a question about whether or not your decision was a wise one, tells me you havent listened to enough speakers to begin with. But, it seems you have fallen upon a pretty decent choice. Instead of mentioning brands you should listen to, it would benefit you to visit as many local shops as you can, and listen to all that is available to you, to be certain that you've made a choice that you wont regret later.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12964375

no.....the salesman said he didnt think it was worth it......and they didnt have it set up with it.....does it make a big difference? I will be running some kind of amp on regardless

Well, I've ONLY heard them with the 3 S.A. so I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but it's supposed to help a lot in the down low department. And the bass was truly stunning and lifelike from such a small package.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't compared many speakers, thats why I asked.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12969636

I haven't compared many speakers, thats why I asked.

I'm running them in a 2 channel setup with the SA and for most music, it doesn't make a difference. Of course I don't listen to pipe organ music. One song I did notice a difference on was the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD-A. There is a bass solo on The Chain that has some overtones or harmonics, I don't know what the correct term is, that roll off considerably if I don't have the SA on. I have the low pass filter set at 40hz with 2db gain. There are some other examples but if you didn't A/B, you wouldn't notice. Go without the SA initially, you can always pick one up later on Audiogon if you feel the need. I listened to Paradigm, Vandersteen, and B&W models at various price points but the Gallo's just worked best for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas /forum/post/12970637

I listened to Paradigm, Vandersteen, and B&W models at various price points but the Gallo's just worked best for me. YMMV.

Did you hear the 2ce SigII or 3a Sigs? How would you compare their sound to the 3.1?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibbo /forum/post/12972272

Did you hear the 2ce SigII or 3a Sigs? How would you compare their sound to the 3.1?

Pibbo, I think they were the 2 ce SigII's. It was Dec 2006 when I purchased and they were around 2k per pair. I didn't dislike the Vandersteens, I just liked the Gallo's better. I think the bass was tighter and the system as a whole better conveyed the attack of the music I selected. I could hear the guitar pick actually hit the strings on Eric Clapton Unplugged. I didn't play with the midrange or tweeter controls on the VS's, I assumed the dealer had the optimized for his room. I also felt the sweet spot was much larger on the Gallo's and because of the configuration of my room, I had limited placement options. The VS's had a rear firing woofer and I couldn't place them as far from the wall, as they were located in the showroom. Life is a compromise and the 3.1's best fit my environment.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 /forum/post/12964496

Sure, how about Magneplanar MG 1.6 for $2000? I auditioned both Gallo 3.1 and MG 1.6 in different dealer rooms using the same music. I do believe that rooms can have dramatic effect on sound, much more so than source or amplification. In both set-ups, speakers were positioned far out into the room and away from walls. I listened from the dealer prescribed seating position as well as in near field on my own; however, it is perfectly possible that room interactions influenced my decision.

I liked Gallo; however, I was simply stunned by Maggies. I went back and listened to Gallo again but ended up buying Maggies. To my ears, they resolved more detail, produced wider and deeper soundstage, and sounded more like the real thing especially on classical music. However, MG 1.6 are very large speakers, and will tend to dominate visually all but the largest of rooms. I think Gallo 3.1 are a lot less obtrusive if blending with your existing decor is important.

I suspect that you will be very happy with Gallo 3.1 especially if bought them based on your own listening experience.

Just to illustrate that speakers are largely a subjective choice...I moved from Magnepan 3.6's to the Gallo 3.0 and have been thrilled with the switch. Magnepans definitely throw a huge soundstage (but so do the gallos), but the gallos are superior in every other aspect (in my opinion). They sound faster and more tonally accurate to me than my magnepans ever did, and I had some serious equipment driving them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im going to be getting a marantz 8002 reciever, and right now i have an old 300 watt carver amp to push them, which i figured probably isnt the best choice. What amp would you recommend i use to push the gallo 3.1's? I know an amp is very important, but i dont wanna break the bank...

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12981393

im going to be getting a marantz 8002 reciever, and right now i have an old 300 watt carver amp to push them, which i figured probably isnt the best choice. What amp would you recommend i use to push the gallo 3.1's? I know an amp is very important, but i dont wanna break the bank...

For some reason there's a very symbiotic relationship between gallo and Arcam receivers, which is also borne out is this review . I also initially auditioned the 3.0's with an Arcam AVR300, and the combination was magical (I just bought a used AVR300, and will be hooking it up this weekend).

·
Registered
519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas /forum/post/12976871

I think the bass was tighter and the system as a whole better conveyed the attack of the music I selected. I could hear the guitar pick actually hit the strings on Eric Clapton Unplugged.

Thanks. I definitely noticed this as well when I heard them. They present such a big, clear and physical image of the sound. Listening to them is definitely a visceral experience which I liked a lot, and yet they didn't seem bright or harsh at all. Just incredible resolution and clarity.

They'll definitely be on my short list when I can actually afford speakers that nice.

And just as a tangent, there was a pair of Mirage OMD-28's right in with the Gallo's and even though I thought the Mirages were a bit better all around, it was very close and ultimately came down to preference in sound. Not bad when the Gallo's are less than half the price of the 28's.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've spent a few hours in front of the 3.1s w/ Musical Fidelity gear - They are decent.

Auditioning Spendor's S8e (w/ SIM)... Dangerous territory - A true hint at what good might actually sound like. Very nice at $3,200.

There's a reason I haven't made an appointment with our local DeVORE dealer

Listen to the Spendors - You'll find yourself no longer considering Gallo.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse /forum/post/12982040

For some reason there's a very symbiotic relationship between gallo and Arcam receivers, which is also borne out is this review . I also initially auditioned the 3.0's with an Arcam AVR300, and the combination was magical (I just bought a used AVR300, and will be hooking it up this weekend).

My demo was with an Arcam receiver too! Strange.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12981393

I've tried several different receivers with the gallo's, the best sounding imho is Harman Kardon..

My setup:

H/K AVR 247

Gallo ref center

A'Diva ti L/R

micros rear

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what i meant to say, is ill probably use the marantz as a processer and use the 2 channel carver amp to power the gallos for a short time. I want to upgrade the carver amp soon. I am buying the marantz because i heard a lot of good things about the sound quality, it has dolby-hd, dts-hd, hd radio, but mostly because i can get a really good deal on it ($1300 new, retail is $2100). Would it make sense then to get an arcam 2 channel amp and use the marantz as a processor, or will it make that much difference if i get a arcam processor too? Or would it sound just as good to simply use a arcam reciever without a seperate amp/processor?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts