AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I did a number of searches and could not find anything on this film process and company. Apologies if somehow I missed and has been discussed. But a friend forwarded me this link below and some of the copy. My first thought was how did I miss reading about it on AVS?? This sounds much like what Showscan had 30 years ago with 65MM and 60FPS I believe. But with a number of new technological advancements. More info on the site as well, once you get past the questionable graphics on home page.

http://www.superdimension70.com/

What's not clear in this description below is that they wind up doubling the 48 frames for 96FPS during projection for a film version of "motion smoothing". Very 3D...look ma no glasses.

If IMAX is truly abandoning large format film for their new digital pursuits, maybe this company jumps right in. Less expensive as well. Has anyone seen this or know anyone who has?

SUPER DIMENSION -70™

Redefining the Movie Going Experience.

For more than two years, Super Vista Corp., in collaboration with cinema equipment designers, digital engineers and optical experts have worked together to bring Super Dimension-70™ to reality. With more than 6-million pixels per frame (as compared to 35mm’s four or digital cinema’s two), the film images are unequal. With SDS-70™, 65mm large format cameras are used to photograph a feature film at 48 frames-per-second. The cameras are only slightly larger than typical 35mm, and the film image area and resolution is more than four times that of conventional 35mm. The proprietary process can be "down converted" to conventional 35mm or digital cinema technology, thus providing maximum distribution in all markets.

In addition to originally produced SDS-70™ large format productions, the company has developed DNX™ digital repurposing technology. The patent pending DNX™ process reformats 35mm (24 frame-per-second) and 24p digital-to-full frame 70mm, 48 frame, SDS-70™. The "DI" transform actually creates a true "in-between" frame to render smoother motion, reduced motion blur and grain for the large 50-80 foot SDS-70™ Super Cinema™ screen. Productions with major action sequences especially benefit from the DNX™ process, whereby the images often take on a dimension of depth. Even motion pictures from the early days of CinemaScope can be successfully transformed to images of brilliance and clarity, providing potentially new theatrical distribution opportunities for Hollywood studios with classic film vaults. With the combination of new SDS-70™ feature productions and restored classic films, a continuous flow of quality product is assured for the event SDS-70™ Super Cinema™ theater.

In preview screenings to film industry executives and theater owners in Hollywood , the response has been overwhelmingly enthusiastic. The SDS-70™ projection system and screen fits into existing commercial theaters. No special buildings have to be erected. And SDS-70™ theaters benefit from having seating between 600 and 1000, which results in far greater audience turn over, and bigger box office grosses per screen.

The SDS-70™ Impact™ projector double shutters each frame, resulting in the absence of projection flicker. The film images are "pin registered," which means there is no jump or weave. The design of the protector does not allow any part of the image area of the film to come in contact with the projector; hence there are no scratches or dirt artifacts. SDS-70™ large format 70mm film prints are one third less expensive than IMAX, which is significant to film distributors. Because the image is so clear and sharp, all seats in the theater, including front rows seats, are viable for viewing. As commented after a screening of Super Dimension-70™ by the president of a major U.S. theater circuit, he said, "The picture is brighter, sharper and clearer than IMAX. And best of all it fits into our theaters. It is an impressive achievement."

If the motion picture megaplex is to survive and prosper, it must offer the public the best in movie entertainment, both in content and presentation. With as many as 30 auditoriums for exhibitors to fill at one location, it’s going to require both conventional presentation as well as large format big screen event entertainment. For movie circuits to fill their buildings and viably compete for the consumer entertainment dollar, the production and exhibition industry must offer value-added, big screen event productions. Super Dimension-70™ does just that; it provides the important "big bang for the movie entertainment buck" for all!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found more information and there is current discussion of this apparently amazing technology. Here's a link below that includes a screening in Westwood summer of 08. Separate or addtional to the Super Dimension - 70 film system, there is a separate and equally amazing digital projection component to what they are offering, which they call DMX. And as I understand it, utilizing existing commercial 2k DLP equipment. This person in the link below is obviously very knowledgable and knows the quality of all projection systems. He is describing some pretty amazing impressions, including the audience being told after the fact with one of the demos, that the incredible video image they had been watching on the very large screen had been transferred with their DMX process from a consumer DVD, not a large format film master. He's seen all current D-cinema systems and 4k projectors and is basically saying this digital technology blows them away plus is more natural. Maybe some of this processing trickles down....hopefully

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/dmx.htm

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm bumping this once because there is current discussion and now I understand there's also cutting edge new large screen digital projection technology as well. Link in the edited post above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts