AVS Forum banner

Better than Sony SR12

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  seph22 
#1 ·
Question for all you enthusiest out there.

I currently have a Sony SR12 camcorder. I am thinking about picking up a second one so that I can do multicam shoots.

Here's the issue. I want to know how much (if any) better quality something like a HDR-FX7 is compared to a SR12. Will you actually see any difference in the quality of the film? I record primarily in HD and film Elementary school plays and productions. While the source material is fairly elementary (forgive the pun), I do want to have the best quality I can get without calling up George Lucas and borrowing some cameras.

Are there any side by side video comparisons of the two that anyone is aware of? Or do you have any recomendations as to what my second (and perhaps primary) camcorder should be?

Thanks,

TRaymond

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaymond /forum/post/18161759

Also,

I'm interested in making Blu-Ray copies of the movies I produce. Don't know if this effects the discussion or not.

TRaymond

The 2010 Sony 55x XR and CX cams seem like potential naturals for what you describe, but I'm not sure how they stack up against the FX7. The new models will record at 24bps which I think means they may need to be on Blu-Ray media and playback for clips recorded at that bit rate.

#4 ·
If these consumer camcorders Sony (SR12/5XX/etc.) are just as good, how can the FX series camcorders demand so much more money?

Also, the SR12 seems a bit unprofessional (small). That may be the case, but if your telling me that the SR12/5XX type units put out the same if not better video than something like the FX7 (or some other semi-pro model), then I'm even more confused!

Thanks,

TRaymond

#5 ·
Speaking of experience (owned many consumer level Sonys and an FX1):

Prosumer:

- Much better built

- Much more manual control

- Much better audio

- Better lens and sensor (3x vs 1x for consumer). That translate in better PQ.

- Totally different form factor (shoulder operated)

- Because demand is so much smaller, Sony can't mass product them as much and that affects pricing.

That being said, the FX7 was announced almost 3.5 years ago, so comparing PQ between tomorrow's consumer CX550 series with a 3.5 years old prosumer model that's only about twice the original MSRP isn't necessarilly stretching it that much IMO.

My suggestion is: your SR12 might work out for b-rolls, but if you're going to switch back and forth between your two cams, I would highly recommend you grab two cams of the same generation. In this case, I would sell your SR12 and purchase a couple of 550 series and invest in some decent audio mics, for about the same price than an aging FX7. You'll have consistent PQ, color response, feature set and format between your two rolls, which will make your editing experience much better and easier.

I recently did a multi-cam project with both my old SR11 and XR500V, and ended up having to use my SR11 more as a b-roll because the colors, focusing and low-light noise differences between the two shots were too distracting.

My $0.02 anyways, which is what they're worth.

#6 ·
Eric,

Thanks for the info and the suggestions. As of now, audio hasn't been an issue because I am using a Zoom H4N directly jacked into the school's audio panel.

Great tip on selling the SR12 and getting the newer XR500V.

If the FX7 is "out of date", is there a newer "Prosumer" model that would beat the pants off the XR500V? or is it just not worth the extra money?

Also, (and this may just be vanity), I just feel emasculated when someone else comes up with a nice expensive camcorder (Prosumer level) and i'm sitting there with a puny looking consumer model. I've seen some addons for the consumer models that make them look (and hopefully act) a bit more professional (IE: Lens hood, etc). If your recomendation is still the XR500V for example.....would you recommend any of these extras?

Thanks,

TRaymond

#7 ·
I don't think an FX7 will give you a better picture than SR12.

If you want to do true multi-cam shooting, get the Sony EX3. Apart from the 3x 1/2'' sensors, you also get HD-SDI out, which is what you want for running through a live mixer - all, same as an EX1, but you also get timecode and genlock interface, so you can run the cameras in sync. If you don't use genlock, you get up to +/- 1 frame out of sync. Which, admittedly, is usually unnoticeable. But there has to be some sort of correction function in the mixer, to delay the signals otherwise when you alternate cameras, there will not be a clean cut.

If the EX3 is out of your budget, I would go with the HVR-NX5. No genlock, but there is HD-SDI and as far as I know, it is designed for multi-cam shooting.

#8 ·
Another choice would be the HMC40 for $1850. It comes with a 3 year warranty and a free copy of Edius Neo 2. You still have to buy the Panasonic XLR adapter but then again, if your fine with using the H4N, than that may not be a problem. I'd still try to get it anyway.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaymond /forum/post/18166115

If these consumer camcorders Sony (SR12/5XX/etc.) are just as good, how can the FX series camcorders demand so much more money?

Also, the SR12 seems a bit unprofessional (small). That may be the case, but if your telling me that the SR12/5XX type units put out the same if not better video than something like the FX7 (or some other semi-pro model), then I'm even more confused!

Thanks,

TRaymond

Defnitely wasn't suggesting that about the SR12, maybe about the CX/XR 5xx series. I think a knowledgeable answer was already given and the FX7 would still be better in many aspects. But the raw quality of the video minus audio from the consumer cams has improved a great deal in that 3.5 years so they might conceivably outperform a much older model in some respects. Pro level quality eventually moves down into the consumer models while the vendors look for something else to add to the pro models. 3D on the way?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaymond /forum/post/18167095

Also, (and this may just be vanity), I just feel emasculated when someone else comes up with a nice expensive camcorder (Prosumer level) and i'm sitting there with a puny looking consumer model. ...

TRaymond

I was browsing a book on digital videography and a quote was in there from a wedding photographer to the effect that a great consumer model may outperform the older Prosumers but his customers wouldn't believe it because they expect to see big cams. Made them question his professionalism...sad but amusing at the same time.

#12 ·
The HMC40 destroys the FX7 in most areas. For example the picture quality is significantly better. It shoots 1920x1080 60i, fully native 1920x1080 24p, 720 60p and 720 24p. With the FX7, the only HD mode is 1440x1080 60i.

The obvious benefits that the FX7 has over the HMC40 is the zoom and for some people the tape drive although a lot of people don't like it any more and companies are moving away from it in the Prosumer realm. When it comes to low-light capabilities, I have no idea but I've read a couple of people claiming that the FX7/V1u is slightly better.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaymond /forum/post/18166115

Thanks,

TRaymond

CX550v will beat all camcorders listed in here

FX7 video quality is not even as good as CX500 to begin with but i say avoid CX500 for too many problems "Lack of manual controls/Slow auto focus speed/does not accept SD cards/etc) (All of these issues were solved with the CX550)

Why are they expensive you say? because they are not mass product (So will cost more to sell) and they are required for pro users

For example imagine a guy showing up to record your wedding with a camcorder that can fit in your jeans pocket you will properly not hire him, and hire the guy that looks like a pro with big camcorder.

Some people require "big camcorder" because it's required for their job.

So unless you need the "look of a pro" get CX550V releasing in a month and you will save money plus you will get a much better camcorder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.