AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a sealed sub. With a budget of $300-$400 including an amp, would it be better to have 2 12" average cheaper drivers (Dayton lower lines) or have a better 12" (TC Sounds or higher end of Dayton) Or even one better 15"?

·
Registered
506 Posts
i have not been in the home theatre scene very long, but i'll throw out my opinion

if you want SPL - i imagine multiple cheaper subs will go farther in getting you where you want to be. if you're using this system for movie watching or games, maybe you won't notice the sound quality difference, and may appreciate the extra power in the low end for sound effects.

if you'll be listening to a lot of music and want cleaner sound, a single high end sub might be better.

this was my mentality in the car audio realm and it seemed to hold up over years of experience.

i've also heard people say it's good to have multiple subs in a HT setup and try moving them around to get the best effects of multiple corner loading and kill any dead spots in the in-room response. i don't have any experience with that, but it sounds reasonable

i haven't built my DIY HT sub setup yet. if i decide to splurge and build these guys i probably won't bother with a sub: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...idrange-3-way/

otherwise i'll probably use my 10 year old PPI Pro 12. wonder if it still works

good luck

joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If were up to me I would keep my SVS pb-10 and get another one to put in the other corner, but I have the WAF, she doesn't want 2 subs in the same room. I have to sell my SVS so I can get a better sub.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So since you're allowed one sub, how big are you allowed to go? Start with a card board box model of a 20 inch cube to verify. To slim it up, we can alter any of the dimensions with respect to the other. 500W Bash plate amp, 15" driver, 1-2 wal-mart jumbo pillows.....you might just pull it off with the $400 budget.

p.s. what about stacking the 2nd pb10 on the first?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can go with a little bit bigger than the pb-10. My plan is to get the 500W bash plate amp, would it be better to go with 2-12" or one 15"?

At this point I want to try and DIY, I am hoping it will blow the pb-10 out of the water if I do it right.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Do a dual opposed with two 12's or even the classic Dayton 15's and a 500 watt bash amp. It will look like 1 sub. You really don't have a ton of options with your budget. Just the two drivers and amp you are at $400 not including all the hardware and enclosure.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlesah
What drivers would you recommend for the 12's?
Dayton DVC...puts you over budget tho.

Dayton titanic 15 w/ 500 watts in 4.5 cf works well. You can even cut it down to a 20" cube if you want and still be okay. Once again over budget by $33 before materials

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
how about two jbl gto1514 $118 delivered ea if you shop around.

two work nicely in 6-8 cubes.

500 watt plate amp and you are good to go. drivers and amp would be around $400 or a little over.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you're building a sealed sub, I would recommend using the Oaudio 500w plate amp. It gives you alot more flexibility and it was measured to give good numbers.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you're located in the conti USA, Lowes got:

wood screws 100/pk for ~$5.

wood glue like TiteBond I/II ~ $9

24" to 36" Bessey clamps for ~$17 each (need like 4-6)

4 pack Irwin 12" bar clamps for ~$21

Elmer wood filler

sand paper etc

As you can see, the cost of the build can rise pretty quickly

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm

Circle jig http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=365-250

I'm assuming you already have a circular saw, power drill, router (woofer cut-outs), and jig saw.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The more clamps you can get the better...I use 12 pipe clamps for a box that size and two adjustable 3 ft clamps so 14 in total and I wish I had more. Ask around and borrow some if you can. Another easy way is to offer a cabinet shop a few bucks to make all the cuts for you so you can just assemble. I pay $50 imcluding the MDF to get everything cut perfectly and my holes cut.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.