AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is an easy question... Recently bought new equipment for to upgrade my HTPC... Was wondering which is the better setup. I like the Nvidia solution since its fanless and has the audio integrated into the hdmi. Is the performance that much better (if any) on the ATI crossfire soultion? I'm only running a single 52" LCD Tv...

My new MOBO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131654

My new video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102875

My "old" video card:
http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=211110581

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The motherboard itself has a highly capable graphics controller, the HD4250.

Since you are using TV speakers, the IGP's audio signal is fine for you.

The onboard HDMI port will output video and audio.

Just install ATI drivers (including the HDMI driver) and you are good to go.

No need of any additional video card.

Note: The HD5570 you picked out doesn't have a HDMI out, its a Display Port (which looks similar to HDMI).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the quick reply. The package I bought actually came with a displayPort to DVI converter, but I just used a DVI to HDMI adapter since the display port doesn't include the audio stream anyhow.

I'm sure any of the graphics combination (onboard, 9600GT or 5570) are more than sufficient for web browsing and DVD/BD playback. I guess my question was geared more towards gaming (just starting to get in PC gaming). Assuming either of the addon graphics card are far better than the integrated chipset. Just curious if one setup was far superior to the other or they are so close in specs that it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
hmm....don't know about gaming.

Someone might be able to have the answer but the easiest thing to do would be to try it out for your self and see which one performs the best with the games you want to play.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskuse /forum/post/19625315

Thanx for the quick reply. The package I bought actually came with a displayPort to DVI converter, but I just used a DVI to HDMI adapter since the display port doesn't include the audio stream anyhow.

I'm sure any of the graphics combination (onboard, 9600GT or 5570) are more than sufficient for web browsing and DVD/BD playback. I guess my question was geared more towards gaming (just starting to get in PC gaming). Assuming either of the addon graphics card are far better than the integrated chipset. Just curious if one setup was far superior to the other or they are so close in specs that it really doesn't matter.

The HD5570 is an okay midrange gaming card. If the 52" TV is your gaming display, then most of your gaming will be 1080p or 1680x1050 and you should be okay as long as you don't crank up the AS/AF. Most TVs don't support higher resolutions than those. If you're using a separate monitor capable of a higher resolution, then the card might struggle. Also, you mentioned Crossfire, but I think you might be referring to Hybrid Crossfire which combines the on-board GPU wiht the expansion card's GPU. This will increase your performance, but all ATI cards can not be used with Hybrid CF. Check and see if your MB supports HCF with the HD 5570, if so, enable it and see if things are better.

BT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Neither card is a gaming powerhouse, but both would be superior to the onboard video. The ATI is at least a generation newer than the nVidia, but both are at the lower end of the line. At 1080p, they'll require you to use lower detail settings. In PC gaming, it's all about framerate. Higher resolution and greater detail using anti-aliasing and other enhancement technologies will slow down your framerate. Below a certain point, the game will become unplayable. The point at which that happens depends on your hardware, settings and the game you're running. It's generally a trial and error process with each game to find the sweet spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts