AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure where to put this question so I will land it here. Its not about video processors specifically but still about video processing.

I realize that almost all components in a typical consumer video playback chain would have video processing. The DVD(upconv) player, AV receiver and the TV itself - all are capable of scaling and deinterlacing. What I am trying to find out is which of these components is generally the best bet for letting it take care of all the video processing ? Now I know you can't really compare across price brackets so lets limit this question to "good entry to mid level" components. For example -

Upconverting DVD player (example Oppo 980)

AV Receiver (Onkyo 606, Pioneer 1019, Yamaha....equivalent)

TV (any ~$1500)

Now which of these components would the best bet for having better video processing as compared to each other ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My perspective is there are no hard and fast rules. In general, the video processing circuits in an AV receiver and a DVD player can be readily identified. You should start your research there, including test reports, etc. The display is generally less well known. Be aware that if the display sees an input that is not native rate it will automatically convert it. If you have several components which can get the job done, systematic trial and error is the best way to proceed. Take a well known source of excellent quality and see what produces the best result. If you have access to test discs like Avia, so much the better.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
come to think of it you really want the TV (or atleast the receiver, if you have one and also route all your sources through it) because only that way you have all your sources covered. If your DVD player video processing was stellar but the TV's or receiver's was lousy then you are stuck with bad performance when viewing all other sources.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts