Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

A few questions before i do something about masking. Currently using a DLP projector (CR 3500:1+) with a 75" digital grey lite screen on a white wall/ceiling. My question is if i paint my walls a matt black finish or have dark curtains surround the screen, how much better will the image look? It seems that the white ceil/wall lights up when watching a movie and im hoping if i cover the viewing area with dark curtains or paint the walls/ceilings at the front the image will look nicer. Please shed some light on your experience on how much of a "difference" does it make to overall picture quality?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most people advocate a neutral gray color (there is actually a specific color, but I can't recall it) so as not to cause a color bias on your projected material. However, my wife vetoed this color as it was too bland. I instead painted my projection wall a dark navy blue, which when the lights are out, really makes the image pop from the screen. I can't determine any ill effects as far as color degradation from the projected image. My ceiling is still a light color, but I just can't bring myself to painting it as it might make the room feel claustrophobic. I can tell you that I still get a lot of reflected light off of the ceiling, but doesn't seem to bother anyone.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My front wall is black carpet and the screen image just seems to float out in the darkness. I like it!! I also did a screen masking for different aspects.

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is no way you can maintain a 3500:1 contrast ratio without a very dark room. In fact, the better the contrast ratio of your projector, the more you need masking and a dark ceiling/floor/walls. An older LCD with a CR of only 300:1 doesn't suffer to much if a large % of the light is reflected back, while a 3500:1 contrast ratio set up will really suffer.

My reducing reflected light page.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The color you are looking for is 'Kodak 18% Gray". However, some people have painted their walls this color and have commented it was too light.

I went with a flat black paint (Behr 'Ink Black') for my front wall, soffit and ceiling. My color is not on the Home Depot Behr color selector - you have to ask for it specially and they'll mix it for you. It is very, very black with no color hues to it. You'll want to apply it with the 'Floetrol' product (by Flood, available also at HD). For a laugh, watch the machine dispense the tinter...it's like they add a damn quart of tint!!!!!! I've never seen so much tint go into a gallon of paint!!

Although it is the best for absorbing light, the flat does mark easily. But you can just hit it with another roll coat to the marked area. Others have said they'd go with eggshell finish and I'm inclined to maybe agree with them. I'll see how my theater holds up to traffic in abvout one month when it is finished.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.