AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very first post so pardon if this has been asked and answered before but had a rw12d klipsch hooked up LFE to a denon e 300 and sounded OK but had some dead spots so I got an sw450 to help fill the gaps. Actually got 2 sw450s but never opened the 2nd one, Nebraska furniture mart had them on sale for 200 bucks a piece and I couldn't help but to buy two. Anyways I have them hooked up via a y adapter off my single sub out and it seems to have less bass than before. The main sub is still in its original pos and I raised my gain to comp the signal loss I figured I'm getting from splitting my output from the sub out but just seems like I have hardly any output. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It depends on the placement. Your receiver has one subwoofer output so it does not set individual delays for the 2 subwoofers. As a workaround, you could make sure that both of them are equidistant from your listening position. That may not be easy to do if say you want to place them say one in the front and one in the back of the room to get the smoothest response. My suggestion is to upgrade the receiver to one that XT32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbme  /t/1525189/better-way-to-hook-up-two-subs-on-a-5-1#post_24552257

Very first post so pardon if this has been asked and answered before but had a rw12d klipsch hooked up LFE to a denon e 300 and sounded OK but had some dead spots so I got an sw450 to help fill the gaps. Actually got 2 sw450s but never opened the 2nd one, Nebraska furniture mart had them on sale for 200 bucks a piece and I couldn't help but to buy two. Anyways I have them hooked up via a y adapter off my single sub out and it seems to have less bass than before. The main sub is still in its original pos and I raised my gain to comp the signal loss I figured I'm getting from splitting my output from the sub out but just seems like I have hardly any output. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for such a quick responce. That is one think I wish I would have done was buy a better receiver. I had x amount to spend on the ht setup and got a pair of dual 8inch reff towers the reff sub,center and surrounds and not a whole lot left for the receiver end of it. Didn't realize such a diff in the audysee technology. As far a placement I have a total of only 3 places for the subs to go and did my sub crawl and picked the best 2 outta 3 and I'm not familiar with the term you used above but I assume its keeping the subs equal placement with each other but I just don't have that luxury. I'm very unfamiliar with this website not sure if I can post any type of picture Or drawing of the room but its a challange.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I meant to keep the subs at equal distances to where your listening position is. This will make their output in phase at the listening position so the chance of them cancelling each other is lowered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbme  /t/1525189/better-way-to-hook-up-two-subs-on-a-5-1#post_24552343

Thank you for such a quick responce. That is one think I wish I would have done was buy a better receiver. I had x amount to spend on the ht setup and got a pair of dual 8inch reff towers the reff sub,center and surrounds and not a whole lot left for the receiver end of it. Didn't realize such a diff in the audysee technology. As far a placement I have a total of only 3 places for the subs to go and did my sub crawl and picked the best 2 outta 3 and I'm not familiar with the term you used above but I assume its keeping the subs equal placement with each other but I just don't have that luxury. I'm very unfamiliar with this website not sure if I can post any type of picture Or drawing of the room but its a challange.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda  /t/1525189/better-way-to-hook-up-two-subs-on-a-5-1#post_24552384

I meant to keep the subs at equal distances to where your listening position is. This will make their output in phase at the listening position so the chance of them cancelling each other is lowered.
I'm about to connect my second PB-1000 to my 5.1 HT  and happened upon this thread.  What would cause 2 subs to cancel each other out?  I'm placing them equidistant from the MLP but I will be using a Y-splitter too untiI I upgrade my receiver.  Is there a chance I will have issues with cancelling?  Also, will using a receiver that has 2 sub outputs avoid cancellation?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I like the SW 450 sub and the rw 12 D. Having one sub connectionon the avr is fine. Splitting the signal dose not decrease the input signal to the sub and the gain should not have to be turned up. First level match the subs and the main listening position to 73 or 75 db with the avr test tones. Turn one sub off and then the other for this part of the setup. Then set the phase on both subs to 0. If you have a Radio Shack meter, You can then change one of the subs phase 180 degrees and see if the spl goes up or down and pick what works best. Then run autocalibration. The sub trim should be between -3 to +3. This will leave a lot of trim room to go up or down with the sub. I have hooked up to 3 subs in this fashion and have been able to integrate them for a great blend. I was also using 3 different subs, one sealed and two ported so, it can work, it just may take a little longer to setup.

It sound like you have phase cancellation in the system. Make sure all speakers are set to small, even large towers. This will decrease phase and cancellation issues.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbme  /t/1525189/better-way-to-hook-up-two-subs-on-a-5-1#post_24552257

Try switching the phase on your rear sub to "180". That may help with the cancellation issues you are getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpshannonjr  /t/1525189/better-way-to-hook-up-two-subs-on-a-5-1#post_24552774

I'm about to connect my second PB-1000 to my 5.1 HT  and happened upon this thread.  What would cause 2 subs to cancel each other out?  I'm placing them equidistant from the MLP but I will be using a Y-splitter too untiI I upgrade my receiver.  Is there a chance I will have issues with cancelling?  Also, will using a receiver that has 2 sub outputs avoid cancellation?

The Y-Splitter does not effect your output, in fact most receivers that support dual subs just use an internal y-splitter (until you get to the higher-end AVRs that can calibrate dual subs individually). Like I mentioned above, try playing with the phase (if your sub has a variable phase knob, you'll have more options), it may help with cancellations.

EDIT: derrick must have been typing the same time as me. What he said!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if this is a result or not but changing the phase of my main sub to 180 out did seem to help to a small degree and I had been using a spl meter app on my note 3 but dis go to radio shack and buy a real one,(although that match almost identically) and I tried to match volume. Still have some playing around to do but hopefully ill get it ironed out. I do wish I could just have a sub out rather than lfe.. may sound stupid but I hate messing with all the crossovers and gaining bass in the sub and loosing it in the speaker or vise a versa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts