AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get either for roughly the same price.

Which would be the better buy.

I hear great things for both but not sure which would be slightly better since both are the same size and about the same price

I know the LG is local dimming and the 8000 is edge dimming but also heard the 8000 is fantastic.

I know the 8500 is much better but that is way out of my price range

Thoughts

I game a lot and watch sports a lot

·
Registered
924 Posts
You just about answered your own question. I have the LG 55" and after adjusting, it is fantastic! I really needed the matte screen as it is in my living room with huge windows which would have to be covered with thick or dark curtains to avoid glare. If I had a theatre type room I would have went with plasma. The LH90 has loads of picture settings and tweaks to give great results. I am very pleased with my set. Good luck! By the way a few have compared the LH90 with the 8500 and they are very close.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They're quite comparable models however I personally found the Samsung to have a better, more consistent picture. If you're not aware, be sure to google "Samsung 8000 discontinued" and understand what you might be getting into. Didn't bother me a bit though I wish I had known prior to purchasing (can't say it would've changed my mind).

Both of your choices are good ones - enjoy whichever you purchase

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't even think there is a comparison here really. The LG is fully backlit and utilizes local dimming while the Sammy B8000 is edge-lit. I've found that local dimming greatly improves black levels. I have a 42" LH90 and I'd honestly be hard pressed to point out the difference between it and the higher-end plasmas, unless I was viewing the two side-by-side.

As for the B8500, I think that competes with LG. It's a bit better actually, but costs a $1000 more - and that's if you find a good deal on it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never had any LG products therefore I am skeptical

I also heard that you do not have the dejudder option for 240hz like the samsung has

I can get the 46 inch 8500 because it cost about the same as the 55LG and the 55 Samsung 8000

But I would hate to give up the big screen if the pq is a bit better only

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 /forum/post/18134531

I never had any LG products therefore I am skeptical

I also heard that you do not have the dejudder option for 240hz like the samsung has

I can get the 46 inch 8500 because it cost about the same as the 55LG and the 55 Samsung 8000

But I would hate to give up the big screen if the pq is a bit better only

Yeah, the Samsung gives you more control over dejudder. The LH90 series has an option for it but only lets you switch between low and high, preventing any fine tuning. Personally though I do not use 120Hz/240Hz.. looks unnatural to me. I'm very picky on PQ and the LG meets my expectations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.