AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What BEV broker can anyone here recommend? I was told the Can-Am is good but a google search turned up two:

1: www.smalldish.com

2: www.canamsatellites.com

Also the 6000 HD receiver looks good for me due to it's RGB output, but can I get a lower price for it that the broker's charge at @ 600 USD? Does the BEV 6000 get OTA or does it nned the add on card like the DISH model? Will a DISH OTA card work in a BEV 6000? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I'm also wondering about BEV. Can a previously un-used DISH Network receiver be authorized by BEV (perhaps with a replacement card from BEV, but using the old hardware)? I bought a new system from E*, but am wondering if BEV would be better.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have no information about brokers, but I'll answer what I can of your questions.

$600 USD seems fair for a complete system, which sells for $839 CDN at a popular Canadian dealer where I checked the price.

There is a rumour that there will shortly be a price cut on the 6000, which does require an add-on card for OTA. I am fairly sure the Dish version will work.

An unused (or used) Dish 6000 will not be authorized by BEV. Both Dish and BEV subsidize the hardware heavily, and have no interest in subsidizing each other's customers.

Comparing BEV and E*:

Obvious difference is the network signals from ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS, as well as the forthcoming HD signals from CTV and CBC.

You will not, however, EVER get ESPN, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, HD-Net or the U.S. versions of Bravo and Discovery. You will, of course, get Discovery Channel HD, TSN HD, etc., but they are in their infancy, having launched only a month ago.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You need a BEV model 6000 for their service. The BEV units are identified by serial number and a US Dish Network receiver will not work. You can find the BEV satellites with a Dish receiver, but you can't subscribe. Try kusat.com for receivers. If you buy a receiver from kusat (and probably others) they will provide info on brokers. You can plug a Dish 8vsb module into the BEV 6000 for local reception.

Al Keown

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.