AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed Bell ExpressVu in central Colorado and I'm having some trouble with signal strength - it can very from 68 to 80 but more often from 70 to 77, depending on the transponder. I have a 24 inch dish. The signal *may* be partially blocked.

----> I'd like to here from those geographically close, or south of me who use BEV: what signal strength do you get?

I'm especially concerned about the HDTV channels, which have a signal strength of around 70 and 71. Assuming I'm getting a consistent picture and sound, without pixilating or cutting out: could my HDTV PQ still be slightly compromized? More than anything, the sound seems to cut out ocasionally on BEV HD.

A responce would be greatly appreceated as I would like to to know what signal strength to shoot for.

Thank you

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to channels that have HDTV thanking them, and to channels that should have HDTV requesting it. For example, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, Discovery channel and the NASA channel.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tim,

I never seem to get above 74 strength, but I have the 45cm (18") dish.

I do get occasional very brief audio dropouts (especially when using the Dolby Digital output) and fraction-of-a-second video freezes, but I don't know if that is related to signal strength. I suspect it is not.

I would suspect the only issue would be more problems with rain fade.

Mark in Ft. Collins.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas care to chime in with a Bell Express Vu signal strength?

Thanks again

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to channels that have HDTV thanking them, and to channels that should have HDTV requesting it. For example, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, Discovery channel and the NASA channel.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I'm getting 65-71 here in Texas. I'm using the DirecTV elliptical dish in an unusual configuration: to pick up 91W and 101W. I rarely see dropouts even at this low signal strength (I don't have any obstructions). But, I see slightly lower levels on cloudy days than clear days, and I get wiped out every time it rains. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

-Dylan

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My signal strength has recently gone down to 65 to 69 for the BEV HDTV channels with a LOT more cutting out, so I am going to have my installer try to improve it to above 75. I'm also considering a 30 inch dish. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those who've given me their signal strength but also to make a request for more in my region to do the same.

Once again, thank you for your assistance

-Tim

------------------

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timwit:
Anyone else in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas care to chime in with a Bell Express Vu signal strength?

Low 70s to low 80s, depending on transponder, here in Utah with overcast and snowing, with a 24" dish. No dropouts.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Tim, since all DBS satellites are over the equator, poor signal strength would be a function of a mis-oriented satellite, a mis-oreinted dish, obstruction, or faulty reception equipment - LNB, receiver, cabling, etc. Nimiq 1's footprint, http://www.kusat.com/install/foot/nimiq.shtml encompases more of the continental U.S. than it does of Canada, so you should be well within its range. Your stated intention of having your installer check things out is probably the best idea.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
"Assuming I'm getting a consistent picture and sound, without pixilating or cutting out: could my HDTV PQ still be slightly compromized?"

No, not at all.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I live near LA and cannot get OTA HD.

I am very interested in getting ExpressVu so that I can see US Network HD.

I plan to subscribe to Dish Network and HBO-HD or SHO-HD.

What is the available HDTV programming on the network feed from Boston?

Where did you get the required hardware (at what US$ cost) and Locals/Network subscription (at what US$ cost)-broker or direct- ExpressVu?

Can you get only HDTV programming at a minimal subscription package? Please

explain.

Can you get some premium movies in HDTV that may not otherwise be on HBO-HD or SHO-HD?

Thank you in advance for your prompt assistance in this regard.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman:
I live near LA and cannot get OTA HD.

I am very interested in getting ExpressVu so that I can see US Network HD.

I plan to subscribe to Dish Network and HBO-HD or SHO-HD.

What is the available HDTV programming on the network feed from Boston?

Where did you get the required hardware (at what US$ cost) and Locals/Network subscription (at what US$ cost)-broker or direct- ExpressVu?

Can you get only HDTV programming at a minimal subscription package? Please

explain.

Can you get some premium movies in HDTV that may not otherwise be on HBO-HD or SHO-HD?

Thank you in advance for your prompt assistance in this regard.

Murray Kerdman
This has all been discussed in detail previously on this thread. Do a search on ExpressVu and read the posts.

I posted early in the year how I bought my ExpressVu equipment and programming including costs. I even posted links to the dealer site and the broker site. I am re-posting the links.

I purchased my ExpressVu equipment from: http://www.kusat.com/ and programming from: http://www.freewaysupport.com/ You have to navigate the site to get pricing. My monthly cost for Canadian locals and US East and West networks is about US$14.

The ExpressVu 6000 is shown here: http://www.kusat.com/ev/6020.shtml look in the database at the bottom of the page for pricing.

No premium PPV movies since that requires a phone connection and ExpressVu will cut you off.

ExpressVu shows most HDTV CBS shows and some HDTV ABC shows.

I hope this helps.

------------------

Hot

[This message has been edited by Hot (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Thanks a lot.

Does ExpressVu from Boston show any NBC or FOX?

What is the word on PBS on ExpressVu and is there talk/capacity for added HDTV Channels in the near future as part of theis service?

Do you asos get the East/West US SD Newtorks and if so are they uncut with CDN commercials and of good quality?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
ExpressVu has HDTV programing on three channels, 285, 286 & 291.

285 is movies and series from the premium subscription services, Movie Central & The Movie Network. Just like you'll find on HBO, Showtime & Starz.

286 is a variety of DTV/HDTV from the US networks (except PBS), and as you would suspect, the HD is mostly from CBS.

291 is PPV movies, including some that don't show up on Dish or DirecTV. But unless you get a redialer, you can't order them from the US.

Here is a link to the current HDTV schedules:
http://www.expressvu.com/EN/prod/new/new_r.asp

The standard programing on ExpressVu includes options for all the US network stations from Boston & Seattle. The quality is decent, and the commercials are what is seen in those cities (I think, as I don't pay a lot of attention to commercials).

Oh, and for what it's worth I get a solid 85 on an 18", in MI.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dahester:
I'm getting 65-71 here in Texas. I'm using the DirecTV elliptical dish in an unusual configuration: to pick up 91W and 101W. I rarely see dropouts even at this low signal strength (I don't have any obstructions). But, I see slightly lower levels on cloudy days than clear days, and I get wiped out every time it rains. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

-Dylan

How easy/difficult was it to use the oval dish to get 91/101... how did you calculate the skew setting?

I have an oval, just sitting around, and it never occured to me to use it that way http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif thanks for the idea http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dave

[This message has been edited by dave69 (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
dave69,

Actually I just used trial and error. I had the dish already adjusted for 101W and 119W a la DirecTV. So I moved the two LNBs next to each other, then I first sighted the 91W bird, since it's the weaker one. Then I basically rotated the dish 'tilt' until I started getting 101W. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dylan

[This message has been edited by dahester (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am in the cetral valley of California and have a signal strength of 85 to 90.I enjoy it. It is interesting to get the news from another country. In the local package there are some good channels such as NTV, ATV, CITY tv, Global,TVO and others. Today I watched the new ER at 4:00pm instead of 10:00pm. You can do a lot of time shifting. Bravo, Showcase,and Space are some channels that can be good.

Tom DiCecco

------------------

Thomas DiCecco

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.