Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Can someone with a 'scope or something similar confirm me that the ExpressVu/Dish 6000 box outputs a horiz & vert sync signal on it's VGA (RGBHV) output even with the box is powered OFF?

Better yet, can someone explain to be WHY the designers would choose to do this???

Very annoying as this doesn't work with the auto priority switching on my Extron VGA switcher.

With an HTPC and the 6000 HDTV receiver feeding the switcher, one of the two inputs can be set as having priority over the other if both are on. The Extron switcher simply looks at the sync signal(s) of the priority input. If there's activity, that input is displayed at the output terminals.

I've given the 6000 priority because it's used less then the HTPC and is faster to turn off/on anyway.

Problem is that the Extron's always switched to the 6000 source! If I turn off the 6000 using the front panel button or remote, the Extron switches to the HTPC for about 1 second but then comes back to the 6000! So the 6000 seems to drop the sync signals but then re-starts outputting them.

If I unplug the 6000 from the wall, the Extron switches over properly to the other source.

I really don't understand why they would have designed the 6000 this way... I've haven't been using the auto-switching feature up until now but am in the process of recessing all my equipment into a wall and don't want to have the Extron visible at all. (I'm also sick of having to get off my lazy butt to switch sources). :)

Note: I have my 6000 set to always output HD (1080i) if that matters.

Kal

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have an Express Vu 6000 and an Extron SW4 HV auto switcher. You can either make it the number 4 priority or just switch the 6000 to sd instead of hd. In sd it does not output sync. I have the 6000 as number one priority and watch everything but HDTV in the sd mode and have no switching problems.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thomas,

Thanks for the idea! I never thought of using the HD/SD button on the remote!

I just tested and you're right! When the 6000 is in SD mode, no sync signals are sent out of the VGA/component outputs so my Extron switches automatically to the other input. Cool.

The SD/HD button has now become my video source select button. I just have to leave the 6000 on all the time. Now to see if I can get discrete codes for SD and HD and to program them into my Pronto...

(Update: No discrete HD/SD codes available for the 6000. Bummer. Not the end of the world though).

Thanks again!

Kal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.