AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been posted before, but I just found out the hard way this past week that you can VERY EASILY ruin your nice new Dalite Hi-Power screen!

I was cleaning around the screen area with a vacuum, and noticed a tiny line of what looked like sheet rock dust or spackle near the top of my screen. I rubbed it gently with my hand and most of it came off. I then took the tail of my t-shirt and moistened it slightly with SALIVA and wiped off the rest of the stuff. Of course, the saliva made a small damp spot on the screen - no big deal, i've cleaned my scree before with water and some very diluted houshold vynyl cleaner - the wet surface always dries and l;eaves a nice clean screen. that evening, while watching a movie, I noticed the spot was still there! I went to touch it - dry. I turned on the lights, and nothing was on the screen. BUT, when watching, there certainly a spot that was not as reflective as the rest of the screen. i only notice it watching full 16/9 movies, and when there is a bright, uniform field in that area. I disappointedly wrote it off to having something on my fingers or on my shirt tail that disagreed with the screen surface. Since I have a spare snap in surface (same thing, Dalite Hipower), Irolled up the other one carefully for future use, and snapped in the new one.

Well, last night we were watching "Drumline" with the whole family, and the family dog was really getting a kick out of the drums. At one point, he walked up tentatively to the screen to get a closer look. We all watched griining as he slowly stuck out his nose to sniff the screen. He realized it wasn't REALLY a boy with a drum, but cold plastic (testimony to the realism of our theater :~), it passed the "fool the dog" test). But, you guessed it, he left a small wet spot from his nose about 8 inches above the bottom of the screen, about 3/4 inch in diameter. After the movie, I wiped it off with a tissue, then thought better and wiped it off with a lens chamoise ands some warm water. The next morning, I go down to check and, you got it, spot STILL on the screen. No amount of careful cleaning will get it off! While you can't see it with the lights on, or even really on close inspection, it definitely changed the reflective value of the portions of the screen that touched his nose.

So, long story even longer, SALIVA in any form will really mess with your hi-power! Don;t sneeze next to it, let the dog get near it, cough next to it, or be tempted to wipe off that smudge with a saliva dampened tissue. I'm really bummed now, as this m,akes TWO screens that a simple, common act (dog sniffing, wiping with tissue) has ruined. I'm thinking of writing Dalite to complain - a warning should be included with the screen outlining the different things that can render it blemished.

Forewarned is forearmed, so let my experience keep you from ruining your screen!

·
Registered
884 Posts
TSO

I own a Dalite Hi Power 52x92 pull down model B. Once a small moth got rolled up in the screen. The next time I fired up my projector I noticed it so I got out a damp rag and wiped the area.

After drying I noticed a line where the screen came to rest on some molding behind it. You guessed it I must have damaged the micro beads because the line is still there. In the middle of my screen ! John

·
Registered
9,398 Posts

QUOTE:

"Don;t sneeze next to it, let the dog get near it, cough next to it, or be tempted to wipe off that smudge with a saliva dampened tissue."

There seems to be some misconception that because the screen is made of Vinyl/PVC that it MUST be able to be cleaned. I have installed movie theatre projection equipment for over 35 years and learned the hard way that you can really NEVER clean a screen.

About 30 years ago I was doing work in a theatre when I noticed that someone had thrown an egg at the screen and it had already dried. Think I could easily clean it off, I took a bottle of Fantastic and climbed up on a ladder and sprayed the Fantastic and took a clean cloth and cleaned off the egg. Since the screen was not new, it had developed a light yellowish coating from cigarette smoke. When I cleaned off the egg, I also cleaned off the yellow coating of smoke leaving the screen looking "brand new" in the spot I cleaned. When I went to test a picture on the screen, Walter Matthau had a BIG SCAR in the middle of his face. I now tried to clean the spot with scar and one thing led to another, however, the upshot was I had to order an emergency "rush" screen from the Hurley Screen Company. NEVER TRY TO CLEAN YOUR SCREEN UNLESS IT IS OUTSIDE AND YOU HAVE A FIRE HOSE!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Why not write to Da-Lite anyway. The screen sample I received just last week said it was washable........

·
Registered
176 Posts
The original post was intriguing. It prompted me to do a "Lick Test" on my Hi Power (my Hi Power sample, that is).

On the sample I created 3 spots:

1. Lick with my tongue with lots of saliva (you should try this!) and let dried

2. Same as number one, but clean off with a wet paper towel and let dried.

3. Wet with tap water and let dried

Observations:

1. #1 Took a long time to dry, about 30mins, while #2 and #3 took about 5 mins.

2. After dried off, there was no visible marks & stains anywhere. After close inspection under 10X magnification, there was still to marks & no stains. (The screen looked interesting under 10X)

3. After one hour, viewed by having my daughter holding it up right in front of the real screen with a movie playing, pausing... In solid colors, dark scenes, light scenes.

Result:

Absolutely no difference in reflectivity.Still no marks & no stains. The whole sample looked uniform.

I am going to let it dry over night & will look at it again tomorrow. It was a good opportunity for me to teach my daughter the basics of doing experiments to prove/disprove something.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Riverplace,

Very interesting!

However, no disrespect to your experiment, but I did my own (not by choice) with the above mentioned examples, and can say without qualification that there are spots left on the screen by the two contacts.

Now, I'm not discounting the possibility that my entire family, or at least me and the dog, have contracted some horrible alien disease which is turning our saliva to acid... ;~)

The spots are definitely there, but only under certain very specific video image conditions. Can't see them with the lights on or in most projector situations, or even if you are viewing from an angle. but, at the right angle, with the right video material...they're there. And, they weren't caused by rubbing or other cleaners.

And on that note, if anyone has any suggestions for cleaning that have worked miracles, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
TSO,

Same here. I didn't mean to dispute what you originally posted. I merely wanted to report what I did. There are several possible explanation for the different findings: chemical make-up is different, environment is different, viewing condition is different, or I simply did not wait long enough for the chemicals to react. Like I said in my post, I am going to wait overnight and view it again. It might turn out exactly like your experience.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
how about the fact that TSO had a full screen and River only had a sample? TSO, if your screen is ruined, have you considered techman's suggestion? Try cleaning the whole thing, maybe even outside with a pressure washer if you can get your hands on one.

...or maybe if you licked the entire thing it would become uniform ;)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
A simple question:

Does the High Power fabric actually "absorb" water, even a small bit of it (as opposed to just get wet on the surface)? I recently bought one, but holding off any "experiments" in the meantime. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Roto
how about the fact that TSO had a full screen and River only had a sample? TSO, if your screen is ruined, have you considered techman's suggestion? Try cleaning the whole thing, maybe even outside with a pressure washer if you can get your hands on one.

...or maybe if you licked the entire thing it would become uniform ;)
I'm amused by all the posts, however, it is possible that on a "brand new" screen you might not have as bad a problem. Screens "yellow" as they age. Even in a clean atmosphere they discolor and where there is (or used to be) smoking, like in a movie theatre, it is really bad. This yellowish scum WILL COME OFF with a mild detergent. The problem is that you can't clean, wash off and dry fast enough on a large surface. It is for this reason that you will see streaking, scarring, etc.

I was being half serious about the fire hose. I was so desperate, I really used a fire hose. Good thing the front of the theatre had drains in the floor and the pitch runs to the screen.

One more time: DON'T TRY CLEANING YOUR VINYL/PVC SCREEN IF YOU INTEND ON KEEPING IT!

Bruce

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Screens "yellow" as they age. Even in a clean atmosphere they discolor and where there is (or used to be) smoking, like in a movie theatre, it is really bad.
techman,

Does this mean that, if you have a pull-down screen, it is better to keep it retracted (rolled up) whenever not in use? Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
techman,

Does this mean that, if you have a pull-down screen, it is better to keep it retracted (rolled up) whenever not in use? Thanks for the info...
Sushi,

I wouldn't worry about a screen in my house unless you are a heavy smoker like me. Under normal circumstances, by the time the yellowing becomes objectionable in a home screen, it probably should be replaced anyway. The "real problem with screens are people putting their dirty hands on a screen and leaving small marks, which when you try to clean it off, it ruins the screen.

Many pull-down screens are not Vinyl/PVC based, which seems to yellow faster than, for instance, a glass beaded screen with a fiberglass backing for strength.

As for whether a home screen should be rolled-up when it's not in use, that depends on whether rolling up the screen leaves any wrinkles or other damage if it were to be done on a regular basis.

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
As for whether a home screen should be rolled-up when it's not in use, that depends on whether rolling up the screen leaves any wrinkles or other damage if it were to be done on a regular basis.
Hmm... In that case I really would like to know what people are dealing with this dilemma. Mine is the Da-Lite Model C w/CSR, 8x10 High Power fabric. Any testimonials?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
Hmm... In that case I really would like to know what people are dealing with this dilemma. Mine is the Da-Lite Model C w/CSR, 8x10 High Power fabric. Any testimonials?
Sushi,

I wouldn't call it a dilemma. If your screen is in a room that is just used for HT, I wouldn't bother to roll it up. I think the MOST important thing is to prevent damage to the screen by people putting their hands on it or anything falling into it and damaging the surface.

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
207 Posts
What a bummer,I am a cigar smoker and thought cleaning it if it started getting yellow.I should have put the extra wires in case I changed my mind from front PJ it seems like a RPTV is less work.

I just thought front PJ sounded good ,just seems like alot of work and problems.I hope I made the right decision with Front PJ.Nothing like kicking back with a nice cigar a drink and watching a movie with the wife.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mmasterg314
What a bummer,I am a cigar smoker and thought cleaning it if it started getting yellow.I should have put the extra wires in case I changed my mind from front PJ it seems like a RPTV is less work.

I just thought front PJ sounded good ,just seems like alot of work and problems.I hope I made the right decision with Front PJ.Nothing like kicking back with a nice cigar a drink and watching a movie with the wife.

Mmasterg314,

Relax, you made the right decision. What makes you think it's ANY different for RPTV? It's not, and I can assure you that I make 10 times the smoke with my cigarettes then you make with your cigar. and I HAVE NO PROBLEM! Although I must admit, many years ago when I collected coins, we used to clean the coins then put them in a small jar and filled it with cigar smoke to turn the coin a beautiful golden old look. It's called toning the coin. But all that aside, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT !!! As long as you don't have small children, you're ok.

Bruce

·
Registered
207 Posts
techman777 I am glade I put in a nice vent to suck that smoke out.I have no kids so thats no a problem.But wife and I are doing this in master bed and we will need a screen that will go up and down hopefully electric.I am sure screen will be a good price$1000 dollars or so and would like it to last not ruin my picture cause of smoke.

techman777 you have no problem with the smoke and your screen.I have enough to worry about with a PJ don't want to worry about a screen.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have a high power 2.8 and a stewart 2.0 which I have cleaned by spraying Simple Green deluted a little bit and very gently using a drafting brush to move it around, but don,t use a cloth with any kind of force especially on the stewart screen which is more delicate than the da-lite. Make sure to rince at least twice and with a clean cloth dad the area,s dry and never rub back and forth, although the da-lite is more rugged and doesn,t seem to mind a little rubbing. The Simple Green takes away those smoke stains (don,t smoke) for those addicted to those cancer sticks.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AVWERKS
I have a high power 2.8 and a stewart 2.0 which I have cleaned by spraying Simple Green deluted a little bit and very gently using a drafting brush to move it around, but don,t use a cloth with any kind of force especially on the stewart screen which is more delicate than the da-lite. Make sure to rince at least twice and with a clean cloth dad the area,s dry and never rub back and forth, although the da-lite is more rugged and doesn,t seem to mind a little rubbing. The Simple Green takes away those smoke stains (don,t smoke) for those addicted to those cancer sticks.
Being "addicted to those cancer stick", I was wondering where you got your yellow smoke covered trial screens to test with? I know how I got mine.

Bruce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.