AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Don't buy from these guys, they'll charge ridiculous amounts in 'hidden' shipping insurance, poor customer service. And irrespective of what they say, the Samsung's manufacturer warranty is useless as Samsung won't honor it. I called and spoke with Samsung customer service and even went to the local samsung service center in CA. These guys are scammers !!!!

I've been trying to get the best online deal to buy a Samsung 55" F8000 series TV.

I called the big box superstore's sales department to buy the TV. And of course they have a "shipping insurance" on top of the advertized price. They told me it's between 8-10% of the item value and when I told them that I'm in CA, they said they'll charge 8%. I called later again for the same TV, this time without even asking me where I'm located, they said that they'll charge $220 for the shipping insurance !!!

When I asked about the shipping /freight company they use, he didn't give me their name or any information.

$220 for domestic shipping insurance????

I've shipped car from NY to FL and paid less shipping insurance. How ridiculous is that !!

Also they claim that they'll beat any competitor's price, I called them twice with quotes/weblink of online sellers selling the same TV for $100-120 less (all inclusive, including hidden costs). The sales team at big box superstore basically told me to get lost as they don't match any competitor's prices.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Unfortunately there are a bunch of "vendors" that do exactly the same thing and are not authorized either.

New ones spring up daily.

You see them in Google shopping searches often at the top with their supposedly low price. They have staff filling up the reseller review sites with fake 5 star ratings. If you read their shipping information carefully you will find "shipping insurance is required" and "order information must be confirmed before shipping" or words to that effect. They call you and try to upsell, switch with out of stock claims, etc.

It's worthwhile to check the TV makers approved online reseller list.

Samsung's: http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmind/authorized_resellers.html

Sony's: https://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.authorized.retailer.network;pgid=k8VWsj1tqspSRpPZLQdlCwcN00000YfMVgRk;sid=mGcI_iV8SS0J_nZHEHpy-rl2SPDJIFOcUg0sJsCx

LG's: http://www.lg.com/us/authorizeddealers/lg_online_authorized_retailers.jsp

Glad to hear you didn't bite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big Box Superstore - False Advertising, Bait & Switch, Misrepresents

On 12/30/14 I ordered a Samsung UN65H6350 online at their advertised price which stated that it included free white glove delivery. The next day I received a call from a Big Box Superstar rep trying to sell me a much more expensive version of the TV that he states has a longer "full" USA warranty. However, the ad listing clearly stated and continues to state "USA model with full manufacturer's warranty" is blatant FALSE ADVERTISING (The rep claimed it was typo and that it would be fixed, but it still reads the same). When I asked about taking the model I ordered I was given further excuses that it can't be shipped to a residence & would require shipping insurance even though their site confirmed the final total price to be charged on my card which again included white glove delivery shipping. If it was one issue, perhaps it would be forgivable, but when the warranty, delivery, and full cost is intentionally misrepresented, buyers should be aware of how this merchant operates with intent to bait and switch or extract significantly higher prices from their customers... the public deserves to know.
BUYER BEWARE.

2860 state rd 84
Suite #107
Ft Lauderdale,FL 33312

·
Registered
36 Posts
On 12/30/14 I ordered a Samsung UN65H6350 online at their advertised price which stated that it included free white glove delivery. The next day I received a call from a Big Box Superstar rep trying to sell me a much more expensive version of the TV that he states has a longer "full" USA warranty. However, the ad listing clearly stated and continues to state "USA model with full manufacturer's warranty" is blatant FALSE ADVERTISING (The rep claimed it was typo and that it would be fixed, but it still reads the same). When I asked about taking the model I ordered I was given further excuses that it can't be shipped to a residence & would require shipping insurance even though their site confirmed the final total price to be charged on my card which again included white glove delivery shipping. If it was one issue, perhaps it would be forgivable, but when the warranty, delivery, and full cost is intentionally misrepresented, buyers should be aware of how this merchant operates with intent to bait and switch or extract significantly higher prices from their customers... the public deserves to know.
BUYER BEWARE.

2860 state rd 84
Suite #107
Ft Lauderdale,FL 33312
They get a F on the BBB site

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are scammers

I found a Samsung UN60h7150 for 1155.00 on their web site. So I placed the order and waited for the call.

Sure enough, I got the call, "Oh that is not in stock and I don't know when it will be, its an older model". I told him, that's funny, I talked to Samsung and they said it was the latest model. Plus your web site says all models in stock.

He said he would talk to his shipping manager and hung up. I looked up my order and it said "Cancel". :D

Stay away!!!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ok, I'm all a tingle. Any hints as to which store is being referred to here?
It's in the thread title. There are a number of similar stores that show up in price searches because they offer such apparently low pricing. When you see "shipping insurance" mentioned anywhere in their website, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Some other examples are East Coast TVs and Abe's of Maine. Almost without exception anyone that gives a positive review is making their first post on the site(uhhh nothing suspicious there lol).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It's in the thread title. There are a number of similar stores that show up in price searches because they offer such apparently low pricing. When you see "shipping insurance" mentioned anywhere in their website, look elsewhere.
Oh, I thought " Big Box Superstore" was more of a generic name.

Unless it's something like a fridge, I'm carrying it out.

·
Registered
917 Posts
As I recall I paid around $100-150 to ship my TV, way less than half the sales tax. No "shipping insurance" lol. That reminds me of the old car dealer charges for undercoating and paint protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts