AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know, a few studios (Paramount, MGM, Lions Gate) are no longer offering their films to SHOWTIME. Instead, they are launching their own channel...EPIX. Right now, only FiOS is planning to carry it.

Going by the free preview currently offered, apparently the companies have much less respect for their films (and the viewers) than SHOWTIME did. It seems that, for new, current films, they will be cropping widescreen movies to 16X9! That is how IRON MAN is currently being presented.

Also, all the films (in the preview, at least) are NOT in 5.1 either (a la MGM-HD). For those of you who, so far, will not be getting this channel...it seems that you won't be missing much. So no need to "ask your provider" to add EPIX.

A damned shame.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/17039163

As some may know, a few studios (Paramount, MGM, Lions Gate) are no longer offering their films to SHOWTIME. Instead, they are launching their own channel...EPIX. Right now, only FiOS is planning to carry it.

Going by the free preview currently offered, apparently the companies have much less respect for their films (and the viewers) than SHOWTIME did. It seems that, for new, current films, they will be cropping widescreen movies to 16X9! That is how IRON MAN is currently being presented.

Also, all the films (in the preview, at least) are NOT in 5.1 either (a la MGM-HD). For those of you who, so far, will not be getting this channel...it seems that you won't be missing much. So no need to "ask your provider" to add EPIX.

A damned shame.

It's too soon to know what Epix will be like. A preview may or may not be representative of the channel. Many HD channels at start up are a work in progress.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This channel is dead in the water anyway. Many have little interest in even carrying it. Launching a new premium movie channel in 2009 in pretty goofy. The premium movie channels don't have the appeal they did 15 years ago. I'll be surprised if it even survives 3 years.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren /forum/post/17042689

it sounds like Encore when it first came out when they had Predator on like 83 times in one month!

Thankfully, it's only 82 times now.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDSpazz /forum/post/17040604

This channel is dead in the water anyway. Many have little interest in even carrying it. Launching a new premium movie channel in 2009 in pretty goofy. The premium movie channels don't have the appeal they did 15 years ago. I'll be surprised if it even survives 3 years.

It's got carriage, even if it's just on one provider at the moment. It's also got the backing of three major movie studios.

It might change hands or rebrand, but it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDSpazz /forum/post/17040604

Which irks me to no end, whether I would sub to the channel or not isn't the point, I don't even have the opportunity to turn it down, my provider has already decided I don't need it. I'm getting really tired of the providers deciding what I can and can't sub too.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/17040490

FYI: Not all their On Demand is cropped. I tried a few of the movies and some of the older stuff was OAR (2.35).

That is because they are older masters. HBO, for example, will still show older films in OAR (STAR TREK II, for example), because they did not crop HD films in years past. But as we all know, they now crop everything. IRON MAN is a new cable premiere, so that is why it's notable that they cropped it. Given that, one can expect INDIANA JONES, QUANTUM OF SOLACE, and other new films to suffer the same fate. And that is something I will not pay an additional premium for.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/17040490

FYI: Not all their On Demand is cropped. I tried a few of the movies and some of the older stuff was OAR (2.35).

I only looked at half-a-dozen films, since most of the offerings have little appeal. Manhattan, The Usual Suspects, and Chinatown were in OAR, but Raging Bull and The Godfather (1-3) are panned-and-scanned. Since I've seen all the films on this channel in which I might be interested, I doubt I'd be a subscriber. I do plan to re-watch My Beautiful Laundrette soon, even though my brief preview of the transfer suggests the picture quality is pretty abysmal for "HD."

I'm wondering what effect, if any, Epix will have on HDNet Movies. I believe some of these films appeared there in the past year of so.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei /forum/post/17044864

I'm wondering what effect, if any, Epix will have on HDNet Movies. I believe some of these films appeared there in the past year of so.

Hopefully, very little. I don't pay anything extra for HDN Movies and they have some respect for the viewers. SHOWTIME is, sadly, the channel that suffers because they've lost the rights to show the new films. And SHO would have presented them properly, so it's also the consumer's loss.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

Quote:

I only looked at half-a-dozen films, since most of the offerings have little appeal. Manhattan, The Usual Suspects, and Chinatown were in OAR, but Raging Bull and The Godfather (1-3) are panned-and-scanned. Since I've seen all the films on this channel in which I might be interested, I doubt I'd be a subscriber. I do plan to re-watch My Beautiful Laundrette soon, even though my brief preview of the transfer suggests the picture quality is pretty abysmal for "HD."

The films you mentioned are all 1.85:1. I DO AGREE that scope films should be seen in OAR.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/17044192

Given that, one can expect INDIANA JONES, QUANTUM OF SOLACE, and other new films to suffer the same fate.

Assumption.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam /forum/post/17045616

I'm confused. What was the ratio of the Godfather that you saw? Do you know what the ratio is supposed to be. You might want to look it up.

I have to agree. The Godfathers were all filmed in 1.85:1. That is not pan and scan. I have the Bluray set of all three movies and they are all presented in their original aspect ratio. BTW Raging Bull was also filmed in 1.85:1. Chinatown, on the other hand was filmed in 2.35:1 and you should see top and bottom black bars for that presentation.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Honestly, any more, I'm finding that watching movies on TV (even without commercials) is becoming a most unpleasurable experience, reserved only movies that I wouldn't even bother wasting a spot in my Netflix queue or for those few that aren't out on BD or DVD.

The fact is, as years go by, we're seeing the compression used on TV channels - even from the source (i.e. HBO) - is becoming noticeably intrusive. With some channels the source bit rate is as low as 16Mb/s, meaning the HD just isn't really HD to me. This doesn't take into account the further compression used by the multichannel provider on top of that.

So, when I here that yet another studio is trying to muscle in an HD movie channel that won't ever see a recent blockbuster that could more profitably sold elsewhere, I'm not getting excited.

I'd rather watch TV on my TV service and movies on my movie service.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 /forum/post/17046094

The Godfathers were all filmed in 1.85:1. Raging Bull was also filmed in 1.85:1.

I apologize. I thought most recent films were in 2.35:1, and especially auteur films like these. I'm just uninformed, I guess. I don't go to theatrical releases all that often these days, and usually it's to see films that take advantage of widescreen formats that wouldn't be as compelling at home.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/17046716

Perhaps. But THE DUCHESS is another 2.35 film that has been cropped for the EPIX line-up. Sure looks like a policy to me. And one that movie fans don't need.

I didn't check this movie, but I did sample a number of the epix movies yesterday. They were all in OAR. Sure looks like OAR is the policy to me. Or did you just decide to take the one exception and turn it into a policy?

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam /forum/post/17047932

I didn't check this movie, but I did sample a number of the epix movies yesterday. They were all in OAR. Sure looks like OAR is the policy to me. Or did you just decide to take the one exception and turn it into a policy?

As mentioned previously, older films are OAR because the HD masters were done before cable channels started to crop the 2.35:1 movies. Going forward, newer or more recent films are being cropped. That's what EPIX did with IRON MAN and DUCHESS.

Since these two movies are the only recent scope films presented on the EPIX preview, I'd say it's a pretty good indicator of their policy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts