AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to alert everyone of the problems that people are having with the Seagate 7200.11 500GB, 1TB and 1.5TB hard drives. The reviews on Newegg are accurate! I wish I read them before I "upgraded" to a 500GB for my system drive and 1TB for my data...
My 1TB drive failed to be recognized in the BIOS the other day on reboot, which led me to do a little research.

Check out the thread on the Seagate forums.... Just Google "7200.11 falling down"

Also, the reviews on Newegg for the 1TB and 1.5TB drives...

1TB - Google "Newegg ST31000340AS"

1.5TB - Google "Newegg ST31500341AS"

I'll be replacing all of my drives with WDs...

· Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Any current users of the Seagate 7200.11 series drives, with SD15 firmware, make sure you are backing up your data daily!!!!!!

These drives are randomly locking up and become inaccessible. There are two ways to fix it, pay a recovery company at least $600, or figure out how to recover it yourself. With the drive becoming undetectable in the BIOS, recovery is not an easy task.

See the seagate forums to see all the people that are having this issue.

Seagate refuses to recognize it as a problem. They just want you to RMA your drive, hence, losing ALL your data on the drive.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
The seagate 7200.11 drives work absolutely perfect for me. Can't recommend them enough. I did upgrade the firmware on my 1.5TBs, just because. They weren't actually causing any issues for me.

Who to trust? Someone who signs up with an agenda or regular member?

· Registered
658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/15417058

I have 16 of the 7200.11 1.5TB drives with (still) the SD17 firmware. Not a single issue to date (going on about 3 months or so..and with heavy usage).

Knock on wood...

Hope your luck is better than mine... my drive failed on Xmas morning after 3 months. No issues at all prior to the failure. New one will be here Monday.

· Registered
19 Posts
Is this the same guy that posted a similar thread on the HardOCP forums? Did you order them from NewEgg? What was the packaging like? Most hard drive failures are a result of damage during shipping. Don't bash Seagate for something that is out of there hands. Many of us are running 7200.11 drives with zero issues.

· Registered
1,729 Posts
Jeff Flowerday: a post from a regular member huh
how about me?

I work as a systems administrator and some time ago corporate decided we should re-image all of our PCs. To make things easier they ordered me a bunch of 80GB 7200.11 drives (I think about 150 total). ok great I make my base image then ghost to each drive, install join to the domain and viola done, right? Wrong.

Well the install went fine but after about a month 11 of the drives died mysteriously. having a few of them spare I swapped them out and RMAed them. Then within the next 3 months I had another 26 die mysteriously. Figuring something was up I contacted corporate, our reseller and seagate. Seagate would not aknowledge any problems and just wanted to RMA the drives just as they had the previous batch. I explained to them ok 10 total out of 150 I can kinda see... a little odd, but no big deal, but 36 within 4 months... there is a problem here. Well after seeing that fightingwasnt getting myself or my corporate office anywhere we just RMAed the drives, in the mean time we received the first batch back from RMA (which were all recertified btw) we had an additional batch of drives die (I think this time around it was like 19, 4 of which were the RMAed drives). All of this in 6 months. So corporate, myself and our reseller all got involved and had to fight seagate to replace all the drives with a different model.

Since we got the different model things have been fine... but that was a nightmare to go through. 51 new drives, 4 recertified drives... all dead.

Since then yes all I have bought is western digital
and no I'm not a WD Fanboy.... I'm just paranoid now

· Registered
299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabazkilla /forum/post/15418861

Is this the same guy that posted a similar thread on the HardOCP forums? Did you order them from NewEgg? What was the packaging like? Most hard drive failures are a result of damage during shipping. Don't bash Seagate for something that is out of there hands. Many of us are running 7200.11 drives with zero issues.

Yeah it's the same guy from HardOCP forums. Just like at the HardOCP forums, he is posting messages under different names (fatlipcdn who posted the second post is obviously him).

If you buy hard drives from Newegg, you get what you deserve. It has been known for a very long time that Newegg does not adequately package their hard drives which leads to them being DOA or having a shortened life. Newegg doesn't care.

You should buy your hard drives from places like ZipZoomFly which do package hard drives in an acceptable manner.

Here's my favorite Newegg hard drive packaging horror story:
Newegg OEM HDD packaging hits all time low (brown paper bag)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1289651

· Registered
188 Posts
I guess everyone's mileage varies; I have NEVER received a poorly packaged item from Newegg in the 10+ years I have done business with them; also, they are one of if not the highest ratest e-retailers on multiple ratings sites. You don't stay in this business with poor ratings.

-Dan

· Registered
1,102 Posts
I agree. Newegg has nothing to do with this.

They've been terrific to deal with.

All due respect - some of you are way too agressive and out of line with your posts.

It's common knowledge that Seagate's 7200.11 lineup has been plagued with so many issues. Just because your drives haven't had any issues YET, doesn't mean otherwise. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

If you took the time to read the Seagate forum you'd see that for yourself.

Using newegg's packaging to defend Seagate's issues doesn't quite cut it either. It's a pretty safe bet that the posters on the Seagate forum from Germany and other parts of the world suffering the same issues aren't buying their drives from Newegg.

Have you wondered why Seagate mysteriously announced recently that their warranty period on drives is being reduced from 5 to 3 years as of Jan 1st?

You'd also realize by reading just a single thread on that forum that fatlipd and the OP aren't one in the same, as you declared. Their tech level is completely at opposite ends.

In any case, being that time of the year and all why not just be nice. Maybe even extend some common courtesy and respect to the OP or others that might be having the same issues.

· Registered
1,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari /forum/post/15419621

Since we got the different model things have been fine... but that was a nightmare to go through. 51 new drives, 4 recertified drives... all dead.

Since then yes all I have bought is western digital
and no I'm not a WD Fanboy.... I'm just paranoid now

That's just incredible. I'm glad you were able to get them all replaced with a different model.

I still have quite a few 1TB 7200.11's here but I'm slowly phasing them out as I don't trust their reliability to store data.

I've pretty much stopped buying Seagates now and have turned to WD as well. It's a shame Seagate used to be a great company but have gone downhill ever since they acquired Maxtor.

· Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Or you could update the firmware to fix the problem. There's a dedicated thread with info on the firmware issue as well as the PN's of the drives that are affected. Newegg even has a link to download the firmware from them.

Care to post some links?

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Having built systems since the late 80s, I've pretty much seen every brand of drive there's been. And there have been many.

Every manufacturer has had times where they've had issues en-masse, segate has had them before too. Especially some of the old 2.1G 3600rpm drives of the 90s. They were horrible. As a rule, when you get into lower priced drives, this sort of thing becomes more common. Drives fail. That's why they invented the tape backup.

It has been a long time since I've purchased Segate products but just did for myself 2 weeks ago. I got one of the 1.5T drives for my htpc. I am hoping there's no issue with the ones that have the new firmware and mine is supposed to have it. I've not checked so I'm not sure. If you think about it, these really are cheap drives and should be thought of as such. A 1.5T drive for 129 bucks ain't exactly an enterprize drive.

I'm gonna store iso's and I'm not gonna loose any sleep over it if it takes a dump. If you want 1.5M Hours MTBF, try a solid state. If you want a platter drive that is more likely to last, only buy ones that have 5 yr warranties and pay the tarriff up front.

· Registered
1,374 Posts
I have 2x 1tb ST31000340AS with SD15 firmware in my htpc. I had them for a year now. I CANNOT lose the data on the drivers. I have no space elsewhere to back them up. I looked on the seagate website but found no firmware or reference to this. I am very scared, what should I do? I cannot afford to pay someone to recover my data when the drive stops working.

· Registered
1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p /forum/post/15420558

I have 2x 1tb ST31000340AS with SD15 firmware in my htpc. I had them for a year now. I CANNOT lose the data on the drivers. I have no space elsewhere to back them up. I looked on the seagate website but found no firmware or reference to this. I am very scared, what should I do? I cannot afford to pay someone to recover my data when the drive stops working.

If you are indeed very scared, then your best bet is to shell out the bucks for some Western Digital disks of equivalent size and copy your data over.

Seagate has not made their firmware updates publically available, you have to call or email or text chat in and give them the model number of the drive in order to get the firmware. Even then, they have been known to give out the wrong firmware, resulting in people bricking otherwise working drives. Thus my recommendation that if your data is really important, then you spend the money for peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 273 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.