AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a pesky problem that jefflins solved for me. It isn't a virus, but it can grow like one as follows: The RP91 saves the settings last used on a particular disk. If you put in a disk that is new to the machine, it will use the settings of the LAST DISK. The scenario is that you use your favorite demo discs to set it up, experimenting and switching disks in and out, etc. You get it the way you like it, but you don't go back and put in every disk you used in the tweaking process in order to set it to your final preferred settings. The next time you show off your projector using one of your demo discs, it reset the machine to whatever you were experimentally using on that particular disk (and your demo doesn't look as good as you thought it would, but you figure it's just the show-off jitters). Then you put on the new disc you bought to watch that night, it it gets the old experimental settings applied to it. And so on, and so on...

I went back and found about 6 or 8 "infected" discs which had settings left over from my early attempts to have the RP91 overcome a mediocre internal scaler(before I got the QSE). Now I will be sure to set up each new disk, to avoid the problem caused by old disks, I didn't catch yet. What kept happening was the picture would look lousy and ultimately it would bother me and I would check out the DVD settings (after mistakenly messing with the projector settings) and find out that the DVD setting were screwed up for apparently no reason. So BEWARE, and good luck.

I thought more unsuspecting RP91 users would be reached here than in the DVD hardware forum.

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was I really the only one who didn't know this?

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
JHouse--

Thanks for this "heads up." This is a very valuable piece of information to remember! Just last night I noticed a DVD that was not looking as good as I knew it should. But it was late and I was just too tired to start ruminating.

Thanks,

Peter M

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hey Joe.

I discovered the same thing myself. It's a bit of a pain though isn't it?

Fortunately most discs use the same settings:

ie U settings with video transfer mode set to Auto2.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I feel ALL better now.

------------------

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.