AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
The TPL-150 looks like a really nice driver. I noticed you were in my CSS planar thread. They're very similar. Speaking from experience with that tweeter, it would mate to the AE 12 nicely I believe, although probably better suited to a 10". The Beyma might have more nuts down around 1khz. Depends. I think it has slightly more Sd and a bigger horn. A lot more expensive though.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i use tpl150h with td12m very happy with them i use them as outdoor speakers for my pool area , building it with a 15'' is just dumb it needs to be crossed at around 1300 a 15'' cant do 1300hz .

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23609125

You use this tweeter for pool speakers!!! What do you use in your HT

seos 24s with bms 4594 2x td15m / 2xtd18h per channel 30-20khz @ 102db / 1w. my backyard is 2.5 acre so i needed big speakers for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used it with 15" AE TD15M with a passive 1.2k XO, very nice. Moved on about a year ago from that setup but seem to have come full circle as I''ve just bought another TPL-150H to use in an OB setup above a 12" Beyma Liberty-8, XO to be 1.4k (these being where its directivity match the 15 and 12" mid/bass drivers)

I've also just acquired some Mundorf AMT17D2.1 dipole tweeters to run above the TPL as I was never happy with the lack of extension of the TPL, and more specifically its vertical beaming. No one else really seems to feel the need to augment them on top though.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I just looked up Vapor Audio and they list their TPL-150H/TD10M speakers at $6k for a pair (at least I hope it is a pair). Wow, that is some healthy markup. Even if they paid full retail for the drivers they would only be in for about $900. They must have some pretty amazing pixie dust machines sprinkling around the clock.

Yep, AMT technology is quite nice. It bridges the gap between ribbons like Raals and high power high dynamics compression drivers. The biggest downside is the driver height which causes significant beaming at high frequencies. Oh and the cost.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23611704

I just looked up Vapor Audio and they list their TPL-150H/TD10M speakers at $6k for a pair (at least I hope it is a pair). Wow, that is some healthy markup. Even if they paid full retail for the drivers they would only be in for about $900. They must have some pretty amazing pixie dust machines sprinkling around the clock.

I believe they're 6k a pair, which makes the markup seem quite low as a pair of TPLs and TD woofer come to about 1.7k by my reckoning. I'd hazard that at that price point a 10x markup over raw drivers would be common, and the proportion spent of drivers only gets less from those price points up.

·
Registered
30,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23607117

The TPL-150 looks like a really nice driver. I noticed you were in my CSS planar thread. They're very similar. Speaking from experience with that tweeter, it would mate to the AE 12 nicely I believe, although probably better suited to a 10". The Beyma might have more nuts down around 1khz. Depends. I think it has slightly more Sd and a bigger horn. A lot more expensive though.

Yes, I saw your thread a little while after starting this thread. I have just been intrigued with a horn loaded ribbon. Looking for something that has high resolution, good output for HT and can be crossed pretty low.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23611704

Yep, AMT technology is quite nice. It bridges the gap between ribbons like Raals and high power high dynamics compression drivers. The biggest downside is the driver height which causes significant beaming at high frequencies. Oh and the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvan  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23611773

Quote:

I believe they're 6k a pair, which makes the markup seem quite low as a pair of TPLs and TD woofer come to about 1.7k by my reckoning. I'd hazard that at that price point a 10x markup over raw drivers would be common, and the proportion spent of drivers only gets less from those price points up.

You guys are kidding right? I'm separating the audible benefit from the cost to manufacture here... Look at the cabinet construction, curved sides, crossover components and even the expensive binding posts. Huge markup is not what comes to my mind compared to most you will find in boutique stores. Yes, you could build much less expensive cabinets, but that's not what they are selling.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:

Check out the Vapor Audio gallery. I'm sure a lot of labor goes into the stacked plywood enclosure for the Arcus.
http://www.vaporsound.com/#Arcus

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvan  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23611773

Except that is retail for those drivers. In small quantities wholesale is likely around 60% of that price so around $1000 for the pair and 2nd order crossovers shouldn't be all that expensive. They are using MDF cabs that are painted so there isn't the cost of exotic veneers. Of course they are using braided Kimber Kable internal wiring. That adds probably $10 over lampshade wire.

They also seem to be sold direct so I don't believe this is including a dealer markup.

They are probably very nice speakers and I do like the painted white look. I'm not knocking them. I'm just amazed how much some retail speakers sell for...or at least how much people ask for them. The company's name is Vapor...there is a good chance they've yet to sell a pair.

I will say that for a company charging $6k for a pair of bookshelf speakers, using a gated and spliced response from a free program like HolmImpulse is a little weak. There is nothing wrong with HolmImpulse, I use it, but I'm not trying to be a boutique speaker manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23612329

Check out the Vapor Audio gallery. I'm sure a lot of labor goes into the stacked plywood enclosure for the Arcus.
http://www.vaporsound.com/#Arcus

Labor? No. CNC time, yes.

Look, I'm a DIYer and I haven't bought retail speakers in years so maybe I'm just off base here. The cost of drivers for these speakers is very similar to the JTR Noesis 212HT which sells for $4400/pair. Of course, JTR doesn't use cutesy binding posts etc which I put little value on but others do. JTR's boxes also aren't curved but are high quality and larger. Then again, this is the only retail speaker I've seen that uses an AMT on a horn so maybe they can charge that premium.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan  /t/1485073/beyma-tpl-150h-pleated-horn-tweeter#post_23612376

Labor? No. CNC time, yes.

Look, I'm a DIYer and I haven't bought retail speakers in years so maybe I'm just off base here. The cost of drivers for these speakers is very similar to the JTR Noesis 212HT which sells for $4400/pair. Of course, JTR doesn't use cutesy binding posts etc which I put little value on but others do. JTR's boxes also aren't curved but are high quality and larger. Then again, this is the only retail speaker I've seen that uses an AMT on a horn so maybe they can charge that premium.

What's the cost of materials for the forum favorite Noesis's? There actually is a market for speakers that look good in a living room. Not everyone would be happy with big black boxes in their living space and many more have demanding careers that don't allow time for DIY.

Would you prefer that high end retail speakers just not be available? A lot of these are small cottage enterprises that often can explore options that otherwise might not be available.

I doubt that Vapor Audio is making a fortune with their small business.

A lot up time is sucked up by the day to day details of just running a business and that must be added to the selling price. At a shop rate of $25>$60/hr. costs rise fast.

Try building a stacked plywood complex curved box. I suspect, CNC or not, it's very time consuming. Also curved boxes will help with stiffness and mitigating internal reflections.

I often wonder if most of these high end builders are like gentleman farmers with independent wealth. The business is just a hobby and a passion.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts