AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2318 of 2318 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for your replies! Well, for the first reply, ok I will have a look.
Now for the second reply: correct! I have a Sr7011. Sure I do NOT have a regular discrete CH output. But ... if I use the Minimixer inputs of the same channel (using only the 3 red RCA inputs, for instance) and give them FHR, FHL and Center doesn't it works as You suggested? In fact that's what I have done.
But ... I have followed the same thoughts for the TM matrix extraction, save that all the RED inputs are rights (FH and RH) and WHITE inputs are lefts (always FH and RH). Wasn't that right too?
Ending with the confirmation that I had to use a Y cable on each FH preout to have two signals inputs to feed the two Minimixers.
Thanks
Regards
Alessandro

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Thanks for your replies! Well, for the first reply, ok I will have a look.
Now for the second reply: correct! I have a Sr7011. Sure I do NOT have a regular discrete CH output. But ... if I use the Minimixer inputs of the same channel (using only the 3 red RCA inputs, for instance) and give them FHR, FHL and Center doesn't it works as You suggested? In fact that's what I have done.
But ... I have followed the same thoughts for the TM matrix extraction, save that all the RED inputs are rights (FH and RH) and WHITE inputs are lefts (always FH and RH). Wasn't that right too?
Ending with the confirmation that I had to use a Y cable on each FH preout to have two signals inputs to feed the two Minimixers.
Thanks
Regards
Alessandro
I miss-understood when I read it about the "inputs". I was thinking it meant center height was connected only to front heights without the mains added. Now, the mixer will work. The center output just won't be discrete for the Auro effect (i.e. it won't be dead center for any off-center seats, but as this theater appears to be made for one, it really shouldn't matter at all). I think you've got it set up correctly for matrixed output.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Man, You are Da Man! Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for troubleshooting my faulty sentences.
Btw, between the single MLP seat and the VBSS in the back there is the space for a double seater, which may come in after the lockdown ends.
Now, for the sake and knowledge of all the readers, I am 67 yo, OM from great time, graduate in Economics, worked in financial services and now retired. Also had the time to get an unlimited Navigation License (used only on sailing boats). Nowadays my interests are concentrated in residential technology, from Solar Panels to CCTV/Automation/Domotica/Alarms.
My interest in HiFi dates from the early '80 (and hence from my father's interests). But everything was disconnected until December 2016. Went a long way from then.
Thanks to All
Regards
Alessandro

Edit: CAN'T THANK YOU MORE ! I still think I'm dreaming, while listening to Audiophile network stations (all 6 of them) and Tidal and sometimes viewing Altered Carbon (started season 2 now).
But ... music is now incredibly crisp, clear, defined and all of this makes me cry, really.
Must add that I fiddled much only with center lift, trying to add more mixing than only the true center, no way, mixer cannot add stereo to mono (and I only have one CH loudspeaker). But I stopped fiddling and decided to start again only listening.
Nirvana.
Regards
Alessandro

Reactions: MagnumX

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, sometimes instead of listening to the system I read here (photo taken from Marantz AV 8805 thread).
I know I am loosing something (but I still have several thousands € in my pocket), I may even have been lucky in my purchases of 25 yo equipment, but I have made it myself, proud of it. OTOH ... Flagship followers are still waiting, and waiting to spend more on top of it!
Sorry, couldn't resist, and I must also admit that all this couldn't have happened without a well equipped, high tier midrange Marantz AV receiver!
Regards
Alessandro

Edit: modified signature to reflect recent/dated added equipment

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I know what you mean, I'm in no rush to upgrade my system either. It has been going strong for nearly 3 years now offering a full 9.1.6 as well as what turned out to be DTS:X Pro features with the Front Wides working with Neural:X by accident.

I will get a 16ch+ processor at some stage though mainly to get Dirac Live and the Bass Management Module.

Reactions: vn800art

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am half way through the Dolby Atmos thread (over 25,000 posts!) when I decided to take a break...

I came here for a little "light reading"! :p

Many thanks to several contributors... it's been fun to watch the evolution, and I look forward to the continuation with each "milestone" celebrated and incorporated into the AVR's available to "the common man" {and there own little man cave!!! :cool:}

*sigh*, see ya back in the Atmos thread.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just having a little issue with my multi avr setup using zone 2 hdmi output. Every time I try to playback 4k content it will resync to 1080p only. If I just play through the main avr which is 8500h it plays perfectly but once I engage zone 2 it all goes to crap. I am running premium certified cables which are length of 1.5m and under. Why won’t it play properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Just having a little issue with my multi avr setup using zone 2 hdmi output. Every time I try to playback 4k content it will resync to 1080p only. If I just play through the main avr which is 8500h it plays perfectly but once I engage zone 2 it all goes to crap. I am running premium certified cables which are length of 1.5m and under. Why won’t it play properly?

It's not a cable issue, it is HDCP having fun.

You either need to connect your second AVR to a 4k display or use a HDFury to trick the HDCP chain.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's not a cable issue, it is HDCP having fun.

You either need to connect your second AVR to a 4k display or use a HDFury to trick the HDCP chain.

So does the hdfury go between the avrs? Zone 2 out to second avr input yeah. I currently have a vertex between avr and projector. Dr hdmi 4k will work?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
So does the hdfury go between the avrs? Zone 2 out to second avr input yeah. I currently have a vertex between avr and projector. Dr hdmi 4k will work?

If you only have one place it between the source and the AVR and it should cover all of it. If you have a spare place it between the AVR's.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello! Had a little time to check Blade Runner (old one) 4K edition in Dolby True HD 7.1 (Atmos!) and I must say this should be the way to give a real cinematic experience! Subtle, presence, surrounds are live and immersion is THE THING! LFE channel used without being overwhelming and well integrated in the sound stream. Checked also the reported ( @MagnumX ) shifting of sound (back to front or front to back) in the surrounds (lower and height ones, all of them). In the case of the lower ones, I added to the distance at which the Avr had positioned my Surrounds only 5 centimeters and I clearly had the sound more backward at my Mlp! Fantastic settings !
Stay safe
Regards
Alessandro

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hello! Had a little time to check Blade Runner (old one) 4K edition in Dolby True HD 7.1 (Atmos!) and I must say this should be the way to give a real cinematic experience! Subtle, presence, surrounds are live and immersion is THE THING! LFE channel used without being overwhelming and well integrated in the sound stream. Checked also the reported ( @MagnumX ) shifting of sound (back to front or front to back) in the surrounds (lower and height ones, all of them). In the case of the lower ones, I added to the distance at which the Avr had positioned my Surrounds only 5 centimeters and I clearly had the sound more backward at my Mlp! Fantastic settings !
Stay safe
Regards
Alessandro
Can you believe some people hate that Atmos track because it's not the original one? Perhaps studios should always include the original soundtrack, but I thought that one was pretty impressive for a refit. I think there's more overhead sounds than the sequel.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, I also have the Bluray of the same, will check if there is the original Dolby track. I could understand the naysayers, but there in the 4K version there are also the normal tracks, and lot of, nevertheless one listening cannot dismiss the heavy work that has been done on the Atmos track. And all the other ones don't come alive at all. They are dull, no reality.
My 2 cents
Regards
Alessandro
Stay Safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.
Looking to add a prologic decoder between my Denon 4500 and an old Marantz receiver I am using the 7.1 ins on for amplifying some of my channels.
For Auro 3D which is only 5.1.5 I would like to matrix out a rear channel and feed that to both my rear surrounds. Is anyone using one of the cheaper prologic 2 decoders like the HD Rush? Does anyone know of you can set them to 3 channel output. Just R, L and C. Ie the surround info stays within the R and L channels.
Are there any other cheapish options besides 2nd hand receivers?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hi.
Looking to add a prologic decoder between my Denon 4500 and an old Marantz receiver I am using the 7.1 ins on for amplifying some of my channels.
For Auro 3D which is only 5.1.5 I would like to matrix out a rear channel and feed that to both my rear surrounds. Is anyone using one of the cheaper prologic 2 decoders like the HD Rush? Does anyone know of you can set them to 3 channel output. Just R, L and C. Ie the surround info stays within the R and L channels.
Are there any other cheapish options besides 2nd hand receivers?
Thanks
I think you're better off creating the side surrounds with the decoder than the rears (i.e. You want the center out between two sets of discrete channels).

You'd set up for 5.1.5 but put the sides in the back and create new sides between those and the mains. You can similarly create top middle/surround height to go with it and have 7.1.7.

I'd avoid those cheap PLII decoders. I had no luck with them and wasted nearly $100 trying it. I went with a couple of used PLI Onkyo Pro 600 decoders (they even have built in 60W of power so you don't need to power those ne channels separately) and they do have a 3-channel stereo mode.

With PLII, you typically just don't configure surround speakers on the decoder to get the same effect as three channel stereo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply. A few typos in my OP. I am setup for 7.1.4 for Atmos and DTS but my Denon 4500 receiver only decodes 5.1.5 (side surrounds) with Auro 3D. I prefer the Auro front and height upmixer to the other two. But am left with a hole in the back. Although the rear heights fill in the gap to some degree.
So I was thinking of creating a mono rear (like the old Dolby EX). Matrixed from the 2 side surrounds like Dolby EX. If I feed this new channel as dual mono into a mixer along with the left and right rear surrounds and switches between stereo (when signal 7.x.x) and prologic (when 5.x.x) in the new decoder I would get the right signals for both.
Yes also planning yo matrix the middle height/top and do the same with a mixer for Auro Top middle.

Have been looking out for the Onkyo's but no luck so far. I'm in New Zealand so less of this type of stuff around.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Thanks for your reply. A few typos in my OP. I am setup for 7.1.4 for Atmos and DTS but my Denon 4500 receiver only decodes 5.1.5 (side surrounds) with Auro 3D. I prefer the Auro front and height upmixer to the other two. But am left with a hole in the back. Although the rear heights fill in the gap to some degree.
So I was thinking of creating a mono rear (like the old Dolby EX). Matrixed from the 2 side surrounds like Dolby EX. If I feed this new channel as dual mono into a mixer along with the left and right rear surrounds and switches between stereo (when signal 7.x.x) and prologic (when 5.x.x) in the new decoder I would get the right signals for both.
Yes also planning yo matrix the middle height/top and do the same with a mixer for Auro Top middle.

Have been looking out for the Onkyo's but no luck so far. I'm in New Zealand so less of this type of stuff around.
Thanks!
I see. That's definitely one option. You could also just 'matrix' a rear center using an active mixer (I use that for front wides and surround#2 ). It's an arrayed effect (a copy of the sides would do the same but with stereo, creating more of a "stretch" effect, but combined with "surround height" it would even out, basically elongating the Auro-3D surround effect into the back of the room. I basically get something similar up to the surround #2 point in the room (which is all but the one seat in the 3rd row here, which still gets rear height just behind it; I could have copied it to the rears as well, but I was too lazy to bother for a seat that gets little use outside sporting events, which don't typically have surround anyway). It basically would pull the rear material further into the room for people in the back and create some fill behind you to blend with the rear heights. You don't really notice arrays since your brain just combines them with the other set of speakers and puts the sound at the the mid-way point. Either way, I think you'd want a speaker selector so that Atmos/X material does regular 7.1.4.

2301 - 2318 of 2318 Posts