AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge car audio enthusiast and have a $4000 sound system in my car. I don't listen to rap or hip-hop so don't get the wrong impression :D

I had an idea to build my own subwoofer to use with my computer. I have (2) Polk RTi600s for mains and a Sherwood RD-6108 for my receiver. Total cost: $260. I had a spare MTX Blue Thunder 10" subwoofer in my closest from my old car and decided to use that driver for my setup. I used WinISD Pro to determine the best cabinet design and opted for a 0.75 cubic foot sealed enclosure (on the verge of making it ported). I then made the box out of MDF that I got for $1 at Lowes because I found a piece of scrap they were going to throw away. Construction of the box took about an hour and I finished it with box carpet (like they use in cars) and it looks fantastic.

For power I'm using an old MTX car amplifier (Thunder 304) which puts out ~200 watts RMS bridged in a 4-ohm load. To supply power to the amplifier I'm using an old Pyramid AC-DC power supply which puts out 22 amps of 12.5 volt current. I hooked the sub up to the amp and gave it a listen. I almost crapped my pants!

I have a Velodyne CHT120 downstairs and used to have a Polk PSW404 and this sub sounds just as good as the Velodyne and better than the Polk did. I turned on WinISD Pro and did some testones and she sounds flat down to about 35hz. which is perfect for what I'm using it for.

All in all I'd call this project a HUGE success. I'm getting roughly $400 subwoofer performance for $1! I had all the parts in my basement and closet except for the 3/4" MDF which I practically stole for $1. This little project is making me want to DiY a few more things, namely a new subwoofer for my theatre. Just need to learn how to veneer things or finish it with oak and spend the $$$ to make it look fantastic. Was thinking of building an end-table subwoofer so the WAF would be high. Still undecided.

Oh well, just thought I'd release some of my positive energy here for I'm beyond elated. Time to test a few video games! :D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Glad to "hear" it! If you put the new sub in a corner, maybe she will not notice it (except when it's on). ;)

Ever try UniBox ? It's free as well. Some excellent sub drivers & all sorts of DIY stuff are @ Adire Audio (I really like the Tempest driver in a sealed low Q design).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.