AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battlefield 2 is a dynamic and thrilling team and squad-based action MMO. The goal is to capture as many flag points in addition to killing as many of the enemy opposition as possible. But because of the nature of MMOs, the game is only as good as the people you are playing with or against.

With this in mind, I thought a thread discussing the "proper" rules of etiquette would be in order. This thread isn't intended to tell others how to play the game, nor is it tips and strategies for racking up the most points. This is intended to be an open discussion of what the majority thinks is acceptable sportsmanship or not - a simple guide to help people new to the game and veterans who want to vent about bad players.

EXAMPLE: "bunny-hopping" (jumping up and down when shot at) can drive a lot of people crazy, but it's in the game and it can be a good defense (not always!) - so I would consider it acceptable behavior.

I'll start it off with the most common complaint:

RULE #1: NO BASE CAMPING. There are legitimate reasons to be in an enemy base, i.e. capturing the flag, C4ing artillery and radar, and even spying on enemy activity. But sitting in one spot with a tank, not capturing a flag and blowing people up as they spawn in is not cool. When one side is winning and down to one flag (which sometimes can't be captured), it's very tempting to take easy kills as the other side spawns in. Don't do it. Take the flag if you can or set up a perimeter around the base if you can't, but please give the other guys a sporting chance.

Comments or other rules?

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I think that Bunny hopping is one of the most ridiculous and annoying things I see in a game that is really unavoidable. Reasons are, I doubt in world war 2 (or any war) you see people hopping around to avoid bullet spray. Maybe running but the hopping looks ridiculous.

secondly, Bunny hopping rarely works. 99 percent of the time I kill the hopper and I actually have a non-complimentary key bind for hoppers in call of duty.

lastly, Bunny hoppers aren't respected very much in the gaming world, something I only recently found out, i thought it was just me.

Spawn killing and team killing are insanely frustrating. I have noticed many people go into BF2 to fly the planes and will basically take down anyone in the air, friendly or not.

Spawn killing is one of my biggest frustrations because of the count involved to return to the game. Nothing spoils the rhythm more than, die-wait-die-again-wait-etc.

The biggest problem with games like BF2 is that they are so dependent on the team effort. A lot of people seem to just want to screw around on these servers which is why I would like to see just some straight up death match servers to break up the monotony.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, but I believe that spawn killing and bunnyhopping are perfectly legitimate tactics.

1. Spawn killing: BF2 randomnly spawns you to different hiding spots near the map. Many times I have spawned directly behind somebody attacking my base and killed then. Not "fair" but war is not fair. Also, if somebody is spawn raping you with a tank, just respawn as anti-armor and take the out. In real war it sucks to get your position over run and BF2 is the same way.

2. Bunny hopping. It's not that effective and the game allows it, so what's the big deal? I think the game makers should eliminate the jumping all together because it is silly, but I think it's unreasonable to ban bunny hopping as I've seen in some servers.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5977
1. Spawn killing: BF2 randomnly spawns you to different hiding spots near the map.
Not always, and if you have one spawn point, or your squad leader has one spawn point to choose from and the enemy is just sitting at this point not taking or unable to take the flag, blasting away... well, if you've been there you know how unsportsmanlike it feels.

Quote:
Many times I have spawned directly behind somebody attacking my base and killed then. Not "fair" but war is not fair.
TOTALLY fair. If you spawn in and have a shot, you take it. There's nothing unfair about that. That's not spawn killing, that's lucky.

Quote:
Also, if somebody is spawn raping you with a tank, just respawn as anti-armor and take the out.
If you can get 3 good shots. In a spawn rape situation, that is impossible.

Quote:
In real war it sucks to get your position over run and BF2 is the same way.
If it was real war there wouldn't be a discussion about "rules of conduct". My point is that this is a game and fair play should be involved. Find ways to win but don't be a you-know-what. (Not directed at you Chris!)

Quote:
2. Bunny hopping. It's not that effective and the game allows it, so what's the big deal? I think the game makers should eliminate the jumping all together because it is silly, but I think it's unreasonable to ban bunny hopping as I've seen in some servers.
I'm with you on point 2 Chris... 100%!

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Well, I guess I can agree that if it is possible in the confines of the game then it is a 'legitimate' tactic but I still don't like it.

I wish that more steps could be taken to eliminate spawn killing. Possibly a neutral entry time or a point that enemies could not even access.

As for bunny hopping It's more of a nuisance and I don't advocate banning either but it's just so silly. Maybe working on the jumping factor is a possible fix. I guess our gripes are more with game makers here and not necessarily conduct.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
^:D The last one is an old favorite of mine, nice to see it again. Thanks!

You can blame the people all you want but it's up to the developers to prevent/patch any cheapness that is found during gameplay. For example bunny hopping was so prevalent in COD they patched it so whenever you jump you get a nice little pause when you hit the ground, much like real life.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good comics Stryker! :D

RULE #2: PLEASE DON'T USE THE MULTIPLAYER GAME TO TEST THINGS OUT! If someone wants to try out their new joystick, experiment with key bindings or figure out how far from the ground they should pull the parachute, there's a very patient single-player game to do all of that and more.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RULE #3: THE COMMANDER COMMANDS. He doesn't capture flags, drive tanks, transport soldiers, etc... If someone wants to do that they join a squad.

When someone applys to be a commander, it means they will be sitting in front of a top-down map launching artillery, sending out the UAV to spot enemy clusters, give squads orders, assist with supplies....

If someone hasn't tried commander, I suggest keeping RULE #2 in mind. ;)

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
2 is good but 3 is questionable. I guess Im just better at multi tasking. All I ask is that any leader just give orders at least.
That may be true but if you're killing/capping flags you're not getting score for it. So it's better for the commanders to do what they should be doing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
What about team killing forgiving? It has to be a rule to forgive team killers if it's your own fault or you just get shot in some big firefight.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking2673
What about team killing forgiving?
Good one.

RULE #4: LEARN TO FORGIVE. Teamkills are an unfortunate part of this game. Accidents happen - a tank's range of view is very limited, line of fire can cross, and C4/Mines/Claymores may explode on the wrong person. More importantly, in the heat of battle things can be confusing or triggers can get itchy (guilty! :eek: ). Sometimes it's not easy to forgive these, especially if it cools a hot streak or foils a flag capture. Forgive anyway.

However, even if someone is a dumb*** and shooting his own team, the team really doesn't gain anything by punishing the jerk/newbie. It's still best to let out a swear word and hit the page down. If it happens over and over, wait for the server auto-kick or find another server.

Forgive. You are the better person. ;)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
If it something the other has done and it was stupidity on their part I will punish.

If it happens twice I will initiate a kick vote.

I agree for the most part about the commander thing but if there arent many players on the server I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
I agree for the most part about the commander thing but if there arent many players on the server I don't see a problem.
Dean... I hope in this thread I'm not coming across like I'm trying to dictate gameplay. All I want is to initiate discussion, share thoughts and to hear what others feel. All comments and opinions are welcome!

As for the commander thing - IMO most games I've played with decent people on both side lives or dies by the commander. A good commander with at least one decent squad will almost always win. Commanders that are occupied with what is directly around them loose focus with the overall war.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ
Dean... I hope in this thread I'm not coming across like I'm trying to dictate gameplay. All I want is to initiate discussion, share thoughts and to hear what others feel. All comments and opinions are welcome!
Oh my! I didn't think that at all! I am participating & sharing my thoughts. It would really be nice to have a sort of 'ethical' code everyone would live by but unfortunately it will never happen. I applaud your efforts though.

I think most of us here would play ethically, it's the strangers we run into on servers that taint the experience.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Na I am a camper or AA hoe. I snipe players where ever they are and kill them with AA fire when and where I can. This whole NO NO of not spawn killing is just garbage. The idea of the game is reduce the enemy's tickets to zero. Your side wins when they go to zero and flag taking only makes that process faster. When there are more spawn points then respawn at another site, nobody forces you to spawn at that guarded site. If you are squad leader, move to where your team can respawn safe if somebody is gunning your people down. Yes sometimes it seems unfair when you have only one spawn point left and the enemy is just killing you as you respawn, but that just part of the game and maybe its telling you that your side sux'd to have lost all the other spawn points, buckle up and wait on new map cycle for payback. Remember they keep killing you and their side wins. Bottom line, kill the enemy 1st. Paraphrasing Patton, "I dont want you to die for your country, I want the other guy to die for his". Just my 2 cents on spawn killing.

EDIT: In Joint Ops you have a total safe time after spawn. This is for a few seconds, but after the safe spawn time is up, you are fair game. If they would put this in BF2, then it would help some of the instant spawn killing that is happening. But I dont see any issues with spawn killing, its just part of how BF2 works. I dont mind if they put in a safe spawn time either. It will just be another part of how the game works.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tinker I've always wondered how old you are. Maybe you've told other people but not me.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.