AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I don't get all the posts about this parametric.The setup wizards and stuff.

If you simply create an inverse of your problem, problem is cured. You only have three parameters to deal with. Gain,width and frequency. This thread is to simplify what seems to be complicated questions.

If you run a sweep. You will find a peak.The peak will begin to rise, it will then fall.This is the width of your peak.At the highest point this is your centered frequency.And last how deep is the peak (in db's). Thats it.

I've read a bunch of threads about this wonderful digital parametric EQ and hope to simplify what other folks are complicating.

Height,width and depth, thats it.

There is a great chart in the owners guide that translates the fine tune also.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
I guess I don't get all the posts about this parametric.The setup wizards and stuff.

If you simply create an inverse of your problem, problem is cured. You only have three parameters to deal with. Gain,width and frequency. This thread is to simplify what seems to be complicated questions.

If you run a sweep. You will find a peak.The peak will begin to rise, it will then fall.This is the width of your peak.At the highest point this is your centered frequency.And last how deep is the peak (in db's). Thats it.

I've read a bunch of threads about this wonderful digital parametric EQ and hope to simplify what other folks are complicating.

Height,width and depth, thats it.

There is a great chart in the owners guide that translates the fine tune also.

For a single resonate peak thats true but most sweeps will result in a nonlinear response curve. You have the interaction of objects in a room with the speaker/transducer, its box/platform and walls/floor/ceiling. Finding the inverse function for something like this
http://mysite.verizon.net/res02dad/s...kers_no_eq.jpg

without some sort of visual feedback is not obvious.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I over simplified.You need a visual for this type of device.You are correct. But it seems that even with a visual I'm reading of all these programs to correct and its right in front of you.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Not exactly...

When you push or pull the curve with your eq correction, it can affect the rest of the curve due to harmonics, driver response and room interaction. If you simply dial-in a +5 at a specific frequency because that looks to be the center of the dip, you might cause another dip or bump somewhere else. I suggest you check here:
http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Its NOT real hard to do manually kg..

Tedious?

yes

It looks like once the eqwiz is configured (Im not quite there yet) that its just a better way of doing it. We all look for "better ways" dont we?

I think its going to be very cool to run the sweep, calculate all the cuts with one click, and with another click, upload all the settings to the bfd.

Its the geek factor man :)

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thread was to explain its ease, not air my difficulties. The BFD is a simple parametric EQ that has three parameters and to not complicate the process.

I think the numorus threads on its difficulties is a lack of visual response to adjustments. If I think back to some months ago doing sweeps with a signal generator and a ratshack mic, it was insane. With a visual from TrueRta or the likes can ease the troubles many are having.

KG

·
Premium Member
24,986 Posts
kg,

If I understand correctly, the EQ Wizard gives the visual feedback functionality of an RTA, for free, and sets the BFD for you to boot.

Is your point that it would be easier to just look at an RTA, even one that you have to pay for :), rather than go through the pain of the learning curve of the EQ Wizard?

OTOH, an affordable software RTA also has a learning curve, no?

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that a learning curve of an RTA program would better suit you than the setup wizard for the BFD. There is more to learn by the TrueRta than the setup wizard.

My learning curve is huge.Once I get it, its got.But the time spent drives my nuts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.