AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been using eVGA and BFG cards for a while and I knew eVGA had a trade up program, but I didn't know BFG had one also. BFG don't promote it much compared to eVGA. Well I just applied and got approval for upgrading my new BFG GTX280 OC to a BFG GTX295. Its going to take a while tho. The cost for me is $40US diff between the cards plus the P/H for me to ship the card. eVGA is 90 days and BFG is 100 days for the upgrade. Now hoping eVGA's new x58 Classified NF200 mobo will be out before end of Feb so I can upgrade my current x58 SLI mobo...this one I might ponder over tho. Got sick and tire of trying to get TRI SLI to work with WIN7 and just didn't like the mobo temps when TRI SLI was setup. Maybe I will got dual GTX295 later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Dang Tinker your always pushing the envelop. Im more of a cheap bastard, Id love to upgrade to quad sli but due to the memory limitations of that card I hear that it chokes at 2560x1600 so really there is no point for me to pick one up. I was willing to spend $470 for two gtx 280s from buy.com but that deal was BS and they did not honor it....and I just cannot bring myself to drop $700 for two gtxs and get what? an extra 10fps in crysis..wooohooo!


I am trying to hold off until the gt300s come out, hopefully at the end of the year. I will spend $1,000 for gfx cards but I have to get at least 50% better performance than my last card for me to do it. As is my 8800ultras in SLI let me play just about everything comfortably at 2560x1600...even crysis chugs along at 35fps if I put shawdows to low, and shaders & volumetric effects to high everything else is at very high and it looks awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am prob only going to use one 295 due to the requirement for Win7/Vista (esp 64) to make quad SLI to work. Also the 295 will go into the test bed and not for my main gaming rig which stiill runs 280's SLI. The SLI 280's still better perf then one 295. The reason I am also going this route is that TRI SLI didn't work well for my setup...mobo temps just got too high for comfort and I lost my sound card. Onboard sound sux's for gaming.


ADD: also the upgrade cost is min for me...since I will be getting a $60cdn rebate back (eventually) for the BFG GTX280 OC that I just got. The 280's are discounted now and the 295 are not so the upgrade is min esp if you can get a GTX280 at a discounted price (better still with a hefty rebate). I can easily resell the GTX295 over the GTX280 in a few months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
id say go for it, ive heard nothing but good things about the 295, just have to make sure you have the right drivers for it. It sucks, cause if nvidia would have given the thing more ram, then maybe I would have picked one or two of em up...oh well the wait continues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,150 Posts
I'm thinking about upgrading too. I have the EVGA GTX 280 SSC and about a month left before my upgrade time expires. It will cost me $76 to do it, and I think at this point I really have no choice. It's backordered anyways so I can either wait a month, or just do it now and be put in the que. I figure I might as well do it now.


Edit: Ah screw it. I signed up for it. Considering I'm like 165 in the que it will be some time before they get to me anyways. If they lower the price by then I'll ask for a price adjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I got the comfirm trade up from BFG. Now just have to repackage everything (Real PITA since I dump everything into a gen parts box) and send it back. The way their process works according to their support rep is that after recieving the RMA product they will issue an e-mail with a coupon for their online store where the coupon is applied to what ever product you want. Just hope it doesn't end up being a import custom nightmare since I am in Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/15607077


I'm also thinking about the 295. For some reason $500 seems totally reasonable to me!

After the trade up and the rebates and deals I got on the 280 SSC it will end up costing me ~$400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Sheesh, youse guys make me feel like a pauper with my almost-obsolete 8800 gts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Radagast /forum/post/15623229


Sheesh, youse guys make me feel like a pauper with my almost-obsolete 8800 gts...

Nah. I had two 8800GTs as well, and only purchased the GTX 280 37days previously so it made sense for me to do the step-up.


In any event they just moved me up from 155 to 80 so I am getting closer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well cost keeps climbing for the upgrade. Start $40us for diff in upgrade cost. The add $24cdn for shipping to BFG. Then add $20us UPS shipping from BFG. The UPS shipping is the real PITA. With typical UPS practice they will nickle and dime me for brokers fees and may even collect full product value customs fees and tax's and not the upgrade cost.



so total will be in CDN $$$


will be ~$40us + ~$20us s/h = ~$60us = ~$80cdn


my shipping cost $24cdn


typical UPS brokers fees ~$40cdn


tax's and duty ?????



Upgrade will cost me about ~$140-150cdn before tax's and duty...little pricey then originally tght. Could almost have been cheaper to sell the 280 and buy the 295 here
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Hey, Tinker,


Any news on your 295? I have 260 (c192) and 15 more days for trade up. Looking at your calculations I think if I get another 260 and SLi them it would be much cheaper for (probably) the same performance I would get with 295. Still scratching my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/15726753


typical UPS brokers fees ~$40cdn

Very optimistic. From my past exp. UPS rip offs brokerage based on insured value
Not sure if BFG has route to avoid that.
Quote:
Could almost have been cheaper to sell the 280 and buy the 295 here
.

:|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still no shipping e-mail confirmation from BFG yet.


UPS broker's fee's are fix amount...I think from all my prev dealings with them. Tax and duties will be another matter, prob ding for the the full insure value rather then the upgrade diff's. PITA...since it means I would have paid tax twice on the same item...



@Dim.

You would prob be better off getting the 2nd 260c216 instead unless u don't have a SLI mobo.


EDIT: Oops u have a 260c192 not the 260c216. The SLI'd perf of the 260c192's will not be the same as the 260c216's SLI or close to the 295...sorry.


ADD: Being from Canada, I would prob not do an upgrade again due to the final cost. Just wasn't worth the time and effort esp if you only have the one item to upgrade. In my case I didn't miss the 280 since I have two others in SLI. Also I have many other vid cards lying around the house... now mobo upgrade would be out of the question, can't see letting a mobo go for at least a month to get an upgrade...so no upgrade from the eVGA x58 SLI mobo to the eVGA x58 Classified mobo for me. All IMHO stuff...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/15743155


EDIT: Oops u have a 260c192 not the 260c216. The SLI'd perf of the 260c192's will not be the same as the 260c216's SLI or close to the 295...sorry.

Should not really matter it was discussed on slizone. http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=28579 I still like idea of having 295 (using on Intel chipsets instead of nVidia, better airflow in case, etc. ). I would probably start trade up process to see what I have to add on top of my card. But if I go that route then I would probably ask them to ship it to Buffalo and pay taxes on the border.
Quote:
ADD: Being from Canada, I would prob not do an upgrade again due to the final cost. Just wasn't worth the time and effort esp if you only have the one item to upgrade. In my case I didn't miss the 280 since I have two others in SLI.

Well I still have old 2x7900GS... They would be fine for strategies
and Crysis Wars will wait a little.


Thanks for the thoughts.

-D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well lo and beho
...just got a shipping e-mail from BFG. Now just another one or two weeks for UPS
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/15746038


...just got a shipping e-mail from BFG.

Congrats!

I would appreciate if you post final results for the transaction.


Thanks,

-D.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
I've had my stepup 295 for about a week now. My aqua waterblocks are supposed to be shipped this coming Monday. The 295 is a pretty nice card but I can see a little microstuttering. I was planning on getting a second one but I'm not sure now. I'll wait and see how the driver development for the 295 goes. I have seen some reports that say the MS gets worse with SLI 295s.


I did order a 280 FTW from Newegg today, I couldn't resist the price. I already have a couple of 280 waterblocks from previous cards. I'm seriously considering building a new computer when the EVGA classified MB is available so I will have a use for the extra card. I could also use it to stepup to a second 295.
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Top