AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my BG 801s has started to randomly shut down. When this happens it usually occurs shortly after start up. If I let the projector set a few minutes, it will usually start back up and operate fine. So far it seems to only shut down once it will then run indefinitely. This is happening a little more often lately. Unfortunately I don't have any error codes or LED info right now, will try to get some info next time it quits. I know this is not much to work from, but any ideas where I might look to solve this problem.

Thanks, Don

Edit 12-12-02

Tonight the projector shut down again. Screen goes black projector goes to standby.

All power led's go out

Scan fail not lit

Standby power led - on

Main power led - off

ProcessorCycles - Blinking

I2C shorted led - off

Block match led - on - sorce connected and active

Error led - on

all other led's - off

How can I determine what the error is?

Any ideas what is causing this, could it be scan fail? Power Supply?

Projector started back up after setting a while.

Don

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Don,

I have a 800 Graphics and it has just started to act exactly the same way as you described that yours do. First I thought it was because of the fact that I recently installed a powersupplyfilter messing up the 220 V (european), but this was not the case.

I know some people inside Barco, people that have gotten me out of Barcotrouble before, and I'll make some phonecalls. I'll let you know if I get any info.

Barco_Boy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Barco_Boy

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate any suggestions you might be able to find for me.

Don

·
Registered
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Berry
Edit 12-12-02

Main power led - off

Block match led - on - sorce connected and active

Error led - on

Don

Don,

Boy the three above LED conditions should sure be sending some kind of message. I believe they're all computer controllable from the standby power source.

My guess is the SMPS right now. Maybe the 9 Vdc power line as a pure guess. I can't prove or substantiate it yet but I'm thinking about it and this morning I even tried a few things on a BG800.

When the projector shuts down have you killed the main power for 30 seconds or so and then tried to turn it right back on? I'm trying to get a feel for the time factor. The fact that you can turn it back on after a while and then run somewhat forever makes me think it isn't something overheating, but is more likely a thermal expansion/contraction issue such as a cold solder joint during your warm-up cycle. First thing I would definitely do is pull the SMPS and check the solder joints going to the two big transformers with a magnifying glass.

Do you still have both projectors?

Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark

Yes I still have the two projectors. I haven't tried switching any parts yet. I'll try looking at the SMPS power supply and see if I can see anything. I guess I could re-flow the solder just to be sure. Any further suggestions will be appreciated.

Don

Edit:

I forgot to mention. It seems to restart within about 5 -10 minutes. I once tried a restart and it would not go. I then cycled the main power switch and the unit started. (of course this could be time related also and just a coincidence) If I try to restart too soon I can hear some faint sounds from the power supply area but projector does not fire up.

Don

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Yes, you have a bad SMPS...

Curt

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with by BG-800. Took me a month to figure it out. The problem was cold solder joints on the main transformer on the SMPS. (It's the biggest transformer on the SMPS)

Hit each connection with a soldering gun until the solder melts then add a little more solder. That fixed mine.

Good luck!

Alex

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I have pulled the board and looked at it under a magnifying glass. I didn't see any suspect solder connections. Replaced the module into the projector and it has not failed since. Probably just a matter of time. I have another SMPS I will try if it fails again. Probably should redo the solder connections even though they look OK. What do you think?

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
I concur. Resolder everything if it fails again (and I predict it will). I checked all the joints under a magnifiying glass on mine multiple times while trying to find the problem. Nothing looked bad until after a month of pulling (and flexing) the board trying to debug it. Then finally, when I thought I had a bad transformer, I could finally see some micro-cracking.

Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.