AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to the conclusion to exchange the Blue tube I have with a new due to a shortening internally between the Heather and the Cathode. This is a problem causing the tube to be "always on".

What is the difference between PT18-205 and P16LNQ37? Because Barco quote only the reference number from the catalog with the Barco parts number R7627616. And this is for the PT18-205.

Anyone an expert on MEC tubes know the answer?

Why is the PJ called 1208s/E instead of 1208s/2? The Barco representative said it was a special model?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm?

Anybody know who to contact for information on MEC tubes? A MEC e-mail address or anything similar?

The reason is that the price quote is $1800 for one single tube... is this standard for 8" MEC tubes?:confused:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I asked basically the same question of the Barco NA service manager and he told me Barco doesn't distinguish between tubes based on the ORIGINAL part number but rather ONLY by the BARCO part number, so, if those two MEC tubes carry the same Barco part number, according to Barco NA, they are absolutely interchangeable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's strange?

Because VDC offer one, the P16LNQ, for $495 and the other for $695? And Barco still says its the same tube?

What difference does it make to a picture projected by the PJ that there are two different types of tubes installed?

...well I really need to do the swap? Just hope it is not as with computer parts? Even though they both fit and perform the same feature - one has a distinguished better performance than the other?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I was only relating what Barco NA told me. If Barco assigns two things the exact same Barco part number( is that the case with those tubes ?), they consider them interchangeable. I don't know the differences in the original MEC tubes.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Please bone up on MEC orig tubes.

We would like to refer all queries to one expert.

We would pay or barter for same.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I have heard of special versions that had some 3d tubes with funky numbers and even worse prices... Could that be the case?

Troy

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I was quoted 495$ about 2 month's ago for either one, so I don't know if they increased the price since then? 695$ sound's a little steep.

My 1997 has the P16LNQ and a mid 1998 has the PT18-205 if that help's.

The P43 tube is for 3D viewing I believe.

David

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just pulled my two 1208S/2s from '97 apart and they both had P16LNQ tubes. VDC does quote these at $495 and the PT18-205s at $695. I'm guessing it's just supply and demand, and that far fewer of the latter were produced and used than the former.

Since I'm buying two of them, and since I want the rebuilds to match the originals by MEC part number so that no one gets the willies when they are thinking about buying, I'm pleased, to say the least. - Pat

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My conclusion! ...since I started this thread?

The seller, a respectable large European company that deals with installations amongst others (starts with A and ends with B with one character in between equal to one of the other), gave me an option of a new tube for the same price initially quoted for the PJ.

I accepted, and look forward to installing the tube and enjoy all the new DVDs that pop-up like grass during springtime.

January next year, I may even have the opportunity of HDTV here in Europe! Then a 1920x1080p capable unit is essential. And as far as my knowledge goes, this unit is out of very few 8" that have sufficient hardware to support it:

- 120 MHz Bandwidth

- 1,25 micro sec. H retrace

- 200 micro sec. V retrace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.