AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of looking over the internals of my Barco and familiarizing myself with the boards and various controls on them, I noticed that one of the caps (C2) on the horizontal deflection card has one leg lifted. This doesn't look like an accidental break, but rather that one leg was desoldered, since the hole is clean.

I'm wondering if this was left that way purposely, for some reason, or was an oversight after someone temporarily broke the circuit to test the capacitor? Obviously, I'm wondering whether to "repair" it or not?

Thanks for any insight.

- Tim

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Tim,

I think remember seeing that it looked like that board had some work done to it but I didn’t notice that. (Tim’s Barco did belong to me) I think it is the original board because the serial number matches the projector SN. All I can tell you is I didn’t disconnect it. But it would be nice to know if it should be.

Mike

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, thanks for the response.

> I think it is the original board because the serial number matches the projector SN. All I can tell you is I didn’t disconnect it. But it would be nice to know if it should be.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If the projector is working fine, I would leave it disconnected or replace it with a good one. It is probably a board noise filter capacitor. Some of these are overkill and you won't notice the difference with or without it. It may be shorted and previously killed another board. The tech probably unsoldered it, replaced the other bad board or component and tried it. It worked with it unsoldered and he either forgot or thought that is wasn't really needed anyway. You can check into it further, but I wouldn't resolder it without replacing it with a known good one or testing it first. Good luck...Steve..

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Tim - I'll try to remember to take a look at my BG800 tonight to see.

Could you supply me with the board S/N just in case? (There were different revisions of some of the boards over the years so my C2 on this board may not be the same C2 as on yours).

And to make it easier to find: What kind/coulour cap is it? Electrolytic? Ceramic disk? Tant?

Kal

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
My service manual has two different horiz. deflection module cards listed: 76166 and 7622675. Biggest difference at first glance is the amount of heatsinking used.

My BG800 has the earlier one 76166 as the part number, but the heat sinks on mine are actually somewhere between the two models shown! I have more then the 76166 but less then 762275.

So, here's the C2 electrolytic (100uF) from the service manual for the 76166 card (see attached photo).

Strictly a filtering cap on the +17V line. Certainly wouldn't be bad to have in place.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, Kal, talk about going the extra mile. Thanks! Sorry to be so slow getting back here, but I had to work late.

> My BG800 has the earlier one 76166 as the part number,

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
No problem Tim! Your original post got me very curious so I wanted to see if my board was the same! :)

Maybe C2 was improperly inserted right from the start at the Barco assembly line? Does it look like someone unsoldered one of the leads? (Usually you can tell this by slight solder discolouration around the hole or the presence of extra solder resin).

I could see this being done wrong on the assembly line, but the board could still pass Q/A testing because this cap only does extra filtering of the +17 source.

Kal

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boy, things move fast on the weekend. 12 hours later, and this topic is at the bottom of page 2! :)

Kal inquired:

> Maybe C2 was improperly inserted right from the start at the Barco assembly line? Does it look like someone unsoldered one of the leads?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.