Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all;

I just dropped in a tube from a Marquee 8000 into my BG-808 and it worked like it was made for it. And I must say, it looks great to see the picture without the burn that was on my old tube. I was real careful in making sure I placed all the parts I took off of one tube in as close to the same location on the other tube, I was amazed how good it looked right from the get go, I only needed to make a couple of minor adjustments to get it looking great.

Because the tubes are not the same part number you do have to make one very small mod to your neck board to get it to work. I plan to replace the other two tubes A.S.A.P. but I need to wait till I receive the RGB output IC from Curt before I can get all three guns working together, If anybody would like more info on the mod, just say the word. I'm still waiting for my service manual to be delivered so I can make all the proper adjustments.

It looks like any of the 8000 series Marquee's tubes will work, they all have the same tubes in them. I hope this is good news for some of you.

See Ya

Pete

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
As I understand it the barco 180dvb22 neck board will need G2(pin 6) reconnected to pin 2 of the neck board so that G2 is fed properly. But what has scared me so far is that I figured you have to cut or remove foil from the neck board. If so, what provision can be made to convert back if someone later down the line decides to put back in a Barco tube? I was thinking of trying this but was reluctant to molest a good chassis but maybe I could make the job look ok?

How many hours have you run the Marquee tube successfully in the Barco chassis?

Is focus good?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's not totally true, you do have to add a wire from pin 6 to pin 2, you do not have to cut any traces at all. You just solder a 4" well insulated piece of wire from pin 6 on the back side of the board and pop the top open on the cover of the socket to get to the pin connection for pin 2, there is even a small hole for you to dress the wire through, then just pop the cap closed again and your ready to go. You do have to remove the foil grounding that's taped around the bell of the tube because Barco has a flex strip that needs to ground to the conductive coating around the bell.

Sound pretty easy, right. Well that's all there is to it.

Good luck

It's a piece of cake

Pete

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry about that

I don't have a lot of time on the install but I can see no reason for concern

I also have one of those expensive CRT Rejuvinator checkers and other then the pin out the settings where exactly the same, the tubes even had there cutoff voltage in the same range, plus there emissions where identical on the meter, the Marquee tube seemed a little brighter but that was easy to adjust, the focus looked better then what I removed, most likely because the tube I removed was burned.

Hope this helps with any concerns you might have.

Pete

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well Captain Pete, I have my 180DMB22 tubes to put in my Barco. Thanks for the info, it was invaluable.

Did you ever get around to documenting what you did ?? If you have did, can you please send me a PM with some pics ??

I am sure I can sort this out myself, but I like critical stuff like this to be backed up by info that I know correctly done.

Thanks Graham

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Pete, just FYI, I don't (think!) I have any order from you, pls email me below to remind me. I've sent out an output chip a couple of weeks ago to someone, but I don't think it was you. I have stock regardless.

I'll have to try the tube swap later on, I tried 2 years ago to use a E'home tube in a BG 808 and nuked it with a spot burn, seems others have had success though.

Curt

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I finally got around to swapping my Marquee tube into my BG808 and it is working perfectly so far. It is still early though and I have not run it very long.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I had spot burn at turnoff, so the fault was immediately noticeable!

If they are interchangable, then what's the electrical difference bwteen the DVB and DMB?

Curt

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Marquee (180DMB22) pinout is as follows -

1. Blank

2. G2

4. Blank

5. G1

6. Blank

7. Blank

8. Cathode

9. Filament

10. Filament

11. G1

12. G1

13. Blank

Then the pinout for the Barco (180DVB22) tube is (I think):

1. Blank

2. Blank

4. Blank

5. G1

6. G2

7. Blank

8. Cathode

9. Filament

10. Filament

11. G1

12. G1

13. Blank

As Captain Pete reports all you have to do (assuming you are dropping a Marquee tube in a Barco) is add a wire from pin 6 to pin 2 and you do not have to cut any traces. That way G2 from the neck board gets to the right crt pin. Since pin 6 on the DMB is blank there is no problem with leaving G2 potential on it (hence no need to cut foil). It really is an easy job and it looks good after its done.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
My spot burn makes sense then, if the G2 floats, it can go high and take out the tube, or low, and you get no brightness. I've had both on a Marquee when I've forgotten to hook up the G2 lead. I'll never do that again!

Curt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all

Just wanted to touch base and say that my 3 tubes still look great and I'm

glad to see a few of you have also made the change. For those of you that made the mods, It is really easy to do isn't it, as long as you can solder you have it made.

Have fun all

See ya later

Pete

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
So to drop a DVB in a Marquee should need only the same mod, right? Assuming the pinout list above is correct...I looked at this with an Ampro tube once, but was never brave enough to try it...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Jay,

I haven't heard that this has been done yet, but I would think adding a neck board wire from pin 2 to pin 6 should do the trick.

If you really have DVB tubes, it occurs to me that I also own an otherwise good Barco 808 that needs them. Its another option if you happen to be interested. My email address is [email protected] .

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
No, I don't have a DVD, but until this thread, a good DVB can be found on ebay a lot easier than the DMB :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do any of you think a similar mod could be had for a BG 1208s? I have two

1208s projectors needing tubes. I'd love to find a tube alternative to

get these things back in service.

I guess what I need is a pinout of the neck board CRT connection of the

BG1208, and tube specifications for both PJ's to see if this is even possible.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
SMASHWOLF,

If one of your 1208s has MEC tubes then you might be able to substitute the DVMs in. On the other hand, many 1208s had Sony tubes and they probably have more differences than just the pins on the CRT tubes. Unless of course there are other Sony tubes out there with different pin outs.... I think some NECs and Sony G70s use tubes that are similar/identical except for the pin-outs for example.

secstate

·
Registered
47 Posts
Captain Pete wrote

"You just solder a 4" well insulated piece of wire from pin 6 on the back side of the board and pop the top open on the cover of the socket to get to the pin connection for pin 2, there is even a small hole for you to dress the wire through, then just pop the cap closed again and your ready to go. "

Could someone confirm for me that the pin 2 is clockwise from the pin 4?

I have the socket cover open and have access to two pins (neither labeled). I want to be 100% sure I am connecting pin 6 to 2.

Thanks in advance!

Brad

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
The Barco crew should be aware that I'm trying to cook up a deal with another tube manufacturer (Equal or higher quality, lower cost than VDC or MEC) for a group buy of tubes for Marquee users. I think it'd be great to get the Barco owners here to join in...and there just might be a chance that the company can make some tubes specifically for your Barcos with the rearranged pinout. But a jumper wire isn't all that tough a proposition.

I'll update the appropriate topic's title to include Barco, if I have that right. (My topic.)

CJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bump - Does anybody know the answer to the follow question? This is the quote from Captain Pete

"You just solder a 4" well insulated piece of wire from pin 6 on the back side of the board and pop the top open on the cover of the socket to get to the pin connection for pin 2, there is even a small hole for you to dress the wire through, then just pop the cap closed again and your ready to go. "

My questions is: Could someone confirm for me that the pin 2 is clockwise from the pin 4?I have the socket cover open and have access to two pins (neither labeled). I want to be 100% sure I am connecting pin 6 to 2.

Thanks - I'm dying to get these new tubes in and don't want to nuke them from the get go!

Brad

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
OK, if you open the top of the PJ the correct pin inside the white box is the upper most one.

If you have the boards out of the PJ and have the white boxes pointing toward you it is the one on the left.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.