AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2794 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat /forum/post/14158455

Are you saying "not so fast" to the people skeptical that profile 2.0 will show up, or commenting on how the article says the BH200 is slow loading discs?

From the article:

According to LG, this player also has the hardware necessary to support Blu-ray's Internet-connected content, BD Live, when such content surfaces sometime next year. Not unexpectedly, though the player is what LG calls "BD Live-ready," it will require a firmware update in order to play BD Live content.

That pretty much says it all right there. It's not an "if" situation, but a "when".

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/14159567

From the article:

According to LG, this player also has the hardware necessary to support Blu-ray's Internet-connected content, BD Live, when such content surfaces sometime next year. Not unexpectedly, though the player is what LG calls "BD Live-ready," it will require a firmware update in order to play BD Live content.

That pretty much says it all right there. It's not an "if" situation, but a "when".

I think it's still an "if" situation ... "if" LG decides to release the firmware update. They have no incentive to do it ...

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/14159567

From the article:

A lot has happened since that article was written. After all, "According to LG" they are fully behind dual-format players and will make a BH300 and never abandon the faithful.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts

Quote:
A lot has happened since that article was written. After all, "According to LG" they are fully behind dual-format players and will make a BH300 and never abandon the faithful.

Apples and oranges. LG dropping combo player support is understandable. HD DVD didn't taper off, it dropped off the face of the planet with surprising speed. On the other hand, the BH200 is also a Blu-ray player, and LG does fully support Blu-ray. I do expect to see support for BD Live added to the BH200 since it is a Blu-ray feature.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George /forum/post/14161152

Apples and oranges. LG dropping combo player support is understandable. HD DVD didn't taper off, it dropped off the face of the planet with surprising speed. On the other hand, the BH200 is also a Blu-ray player, and LG does fully support Blu-ray. I do expect to see support for BD Live added to the BH200 since it is a Blu-ray feature.

By the same token, Samsung also fully supports Blu-ray and there were rumblings that their player could also be upgraded to 2.0. I think the likelihood of LG offering the upgrade is greater than Samsung but I don't see said likelihood being any better than 50/50. After the money lost in this combo debacle, they will be interested in moving on with the development of newer profitable hardware. In Samsung's case, the BD-P1500 is said to have the same System-on-Chip (SOC) from Broadcom and is also upgradable to profile 2, so if the memory in the 5000 is adequate, the 5000 could simply receive a hypothetical "port" effort by the devs. I am just not confident this will happen. It could if we the customers requested loudly enough, I suppose (and the memory requirement is met).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey, I hope it happens. But I don't think we can put any store in what LG may have said to a reviewer in 2007 when they were still fully in the combo game.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/14161261

Hey, I hope it happens. But I don't think we can put any store in what LG may have said to a reviewer in 2007 when they were still fully in the combo game.

Fine how about what LG has said in several official documents?

Here's a link to the official PDF Spec sheet:

Linkage

Note on page 2 under the section "HD Playback Features" the last item in that section is "Networked Content Access" under HD DVD it has a dot indicating that it is capable of that feature out of the box and under Blu-ray it says "ready". That alone indicates that the device is BD Profile 2.0 ready

In addition to the official Spec sheet there is this press release from LG:

Linkage

Note the following from the "One Player Latest Technology" section:

"With full networked interactivity available from selected HD DVDs, and the capability to handle networked BD-Live interactivity in forthcoming Blu-ray discs , it is the latest available technology that plays both disc formats."

That's makes it pretty clear that LG intends (or intended) to make the BH-200 2.0 compliant.

The fact that LG has discontinued the BH200 does not bode well, but if they make the BH200 2.0 capable they could then release a BD only 2.0 Player and still keep the premium price on the BH200s in the supply-chain. The documents I linked above could also be used as grounds for a class action suit against LG if the BH200 does not become BD Profile 2.0 compliant and I'm pretty certain that LG would like to avoid the pleasantries their cross town rival has experienced with the BDP-1200.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth /forum/post/14168693

That's makes it pretty clear that LG intends (or intended) to make the BH-200 2.0 compliant.

Unless I missed it, I don't think arguments were made that the BH200 is not capable of 2.0 through an upgrade, rather, I think the arguments are that there is no guarantee LG will supply the upgrade. As you say, it appears to have been their intention, so now the question is: Will they?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its not a question of whether it can handle the firmware because LG states it is profile 2.0 ready... Its a question of whether or not LG will make it profile 2.0... Samsung's updated product resource center lists the bd-up5000 as profile 1.1 ready and say that the firmware to make it so is already out but states that only the 1500 will get a profile 2.0 upgrade soon. All we can do now is hope and wait for LG to make the player profile 2.0

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My hopes for the next firmware update are to eliminate the DD+/DTS-HD tracking issue. My next hope would be for disc compatability issues. Next would add functions such as a: time remaining and bitrate metering functions and also to be able to hit the display button and be able to change the HD DVD options like you can in BD.

I'd love to see all those changes.

As for the 2.0 upgrade, I do believe in my heart of hearts that it's coming but not until after LG releases their latest BD player.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madness /forum/post/14170796

Its not a question of whether it can handle the firmware because LG states it is profile 2.0 ready... Its a question of whether or not LG will make it profile 2.0...

Hey!

Isn't that what I just said?!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew2k /forum/post/14169640

Unless I missed it, I don't think arguments were made that the BH200 is not capable of 2.0 through an upgrade, rather, I think the arguments are that there is no guarantee LG will supply the upgrade. As you say, it appears to have been their intention, so now the question is: Will they?

I guess some posters missed my point. I did not make my earlier post to argue that the BH-200 is capable of BD 2.0, I made it to indicate that LG has said the BH-200 WILL BE 2.0 compliant. They released a press statement (the one I linked earlier) that said they intended to make the BH-200 compliant. Since LG has indicated future BD Live capability in at least two official BH-200 documents they will be leaving themselves open to a lawsuit if they do not update the BH-200 to Profile 2.0.

Samsung already faced a class-action lawsuit because the BDP-1200 was not capable of playing several BDs. The 1200 was advertised as playing BDs and since there were some it could not play Samsung is now in court. Since LG is constantly trying to prove that they are a better CE than their cross-town rival (Samsung) I suspect the BH-200 will be made BD 2.0 compliant at some point just so LG can "scoreboard" Samsung. I agree with other posters that BD 2.0 compliance may take a while and that there are other, more pressing issues that LG must resolve with the BH-200, but I do think BD Live will eventually be added to the BH-200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole /forum/post/14170840

Next would add functions such as a: time remaining and bitrate metering functions and also to be able to hit the display button and be able to change the HD DVD options like you can in BD.

Well if they were to move to a unified menu system I would prefer that they modify, if possible, the BD Menu system activation process to mimic that of the HD DVD menu system. I have a bias, but it does seem more intuitive to hit one of the large, well placed up (Warner, Paramount, TWC) or right (Universal, some Imports) directional buttons instead of searching for which menu button activates a BD menu.

The HD DVD menu system also provides the time remaining function you alluded to alternately you can pause an HD DVD and the time remaining bar will immediately pop-up along the bottom.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not sure why you have to use a different button to bring up BD menus vs. HD DVD. Though I can't recall whether we mapped "Title/Popup" or "Disc Menu" to our universal remote...point is, that one button brings up the menu for both disc types (I think it was the "Popup" button, since those menus are essentially popups.

Time remaining shouldn't depend on how the disc is authored. Only some HD DVDs show the time remaining bar. The A3 shows time remaining for everything--main feature, special features, etc. Just press Display. Current time is displayed on-screen, while time remaining is displayed on the LCD front panel of the player.

The absence of time remaining is one of the first things I noticed as missing in the BH200. Certainly hope they can add it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue /forum/post/14176282

Only some HD DVDs show the time remaining bar. The A3 shows time remaining for everything--main feature, special features, etc. Just press Display.

I would say most HD DVDs have a time remaining bar; every Universal, Warner and Paramount HD DVD I have tested on the 200 has a time remaining bar. I have not gone through all of my 112 HD DVDs yet (I've only used about 40 of them on the 200 so far) so perhaps I'll notice something later on.

My A2 also provides time remaining on every disc with the display button, but as you noted, that is a player specific function that has not been implemented on the 200 thus far. I was only pointing out that AA HD DVDs all seem to have a time remaining bar when a film is paused so if LG never adds time remaining to the 200 there are still several hundred HD DVDs that will display time remaining with the touch of the pause button.

Here's hoping LG will add a time remaining function in a future update.

21 - 40 of 2794 Posts