AVS Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 2794 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's not easy to tell if it has received an address, the process of loading the disc, trying to start BD-Live and then finding out that the player did not get an address and start from scratch, that is what's not very user friendly.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne /forum/post/16897945

It's not easy to tell if it has received an address, the process of loading the disc, trying to start BD-Live and then finding out that the player did not get an address and start from scratch, that is what's not very user friendly.

Actually, you can tell whether the BH200 is connected to a network without having to go out of the setup mode and try it. In the Network menu go to IP Mode. There is a little icon with two monitors and a connection between them. It has three possible states. Testing Network (flashing green dots), Able to use network( both monitors flashing blue) or Unable to use network (red circle with line through it). This information was published as an addendum to the Owners Manual as part of the firmware update that added the feature of software updates via internet. BTW- The only time I've not been able to secure a connection was when there was a cable connection problem on my 5 port switch.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I'm there with the "cable or port" problem. I've never had any issues with any of my players. Well, I did have a problem but it was tracked down to the power supply on a switch the BH200 was connecting through. The Wii also couldn't connect so that helped narrow down the culprit.

LG did the nice thing of not including a NIC that has LEDs on the back for connection and activity... it's nice to not have those things glowing off the wall behind the player.

I'd check the router's lease list.

Thanks Bob, I never understood the meaning of the icons when I was trying to track down my problem.

·
UHD Addict
37,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/16898016

Surely your router will be able to tell if the BH200 has been assigned an IP address?

Plus the BH200 will show you what IP address it has been asssigned in the setup menu.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just heard back from the engineers and the latest s/w update only includes the BD Live feature. Other fixes are to be addressed in another update. No timeline to when those are to be completed.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster /forum/post/16900667

Just heard back from the engineers and the latest s/w update only includes the BD Live feature. Other fixes are to be addressed in another update. No timeline to when those are to be completed.

I do appreciate the on-going effort - it would be very easy for LG to say "eh, we no longer support that player" and although folks would get annoyed, it would be par for the course with some OEMs.

I'm more interested in disc-related fixes rather than BD Live, especially now that I have heard that BD Live doesn't really offer much that I would find appealing (except for the Neil Young Archives - not sure I want to pony up for that just yet).

That being said, my BH-200 keeps chugging along, and I actually can't think of any discs in my collection that don't play - but I also watch BD and HD DVD using other players on other systems, so the BH-200 is not my one and only device.

shinksma

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can you guys clarify for me what the 4:3 bug is exactly? I keep seeing it mentioned, but haven't found the answer. I ask because about ten pages back, I mentioned how the player plays widescreen DVD's with black bars on the sides of the screen. The picture should take up the whole screen, but 16:9 shows ups at 4:3. I checked all my settings, and I think they are correct. Is this the 4:3 bug many of you are mentioning?

Brian

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/16900255

What's the difference between "Testing" and "Able to connect"? What about "Connected"?

Testing begins right after you input the parameters your going to use for your network and click Enter. After testing is complete, the icon changes to either Able to Connect or Unable to Use Network. Once it displays Able to Connect, you are good to go and the icon stays in that mode.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb s. /forum/post/16895273

I've downloaded the new firmware to cd, but I think I will hold off installing it in lieu of problems some people have had with disk compatability. Blu-ray live is not a big deal with me as the player is not hooked up the internet and will mean an additional expense to so. Very disappointed they did'nt resolve the 4:3 issue as I have quite few old musicals, will have to set the player to 480p to get OAR. BTW I'm running the June 08 firmware and have yet to run into any playability problems save the Clerks II disk that is not the players fault.

I feel the same as you. I'm glad others find BD Live useful, but not me. It's a serious pain to have to remember to switch resolutions when I go from a BD/HD-DVD to a 4:3 DVD or vice versa, so that's more important to me.

I'm ready to buy an Oppo BD-83. It will replace my Oppo 980 in the main system. The 980 will be moved downstairs where the LG resides. I'll use the new Oppo upstairs for BD and all DVDs, and just keep my Samsung 5k for HD-DVD. Downstairs, I'll just use the LG for BD/HD-DVD, and will use the 980 for all DVDs.

Another advantage of moving to Oppo is the faster boot-up and load times, as well as more complete onscreen disc info.

Doug

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thanks samsungmaster for the update. If they need beta testers for the firmware let us know. I'm sure we would be happy to provide input

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have the notorious problem with the helo sound. I need this to be fixed and I have several LG devices. Oddly when listening to HD DVD audio via DD+ I get a really decent mix via PL MV + THX. The updates on this product have been terrific and I applaud LG for their diligence. DD+ is really my last hope for this player as it has done a marvelous job. This forum is the Alamo for this information and I appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamirobri /forum/post/16900857

Can you guys clarify for me what the 4:3 bug is exactly? I keep seeing it mentioned, but haven't found the answer. I ask because about ten pages back, I mentioned how the player plays widescreen DVD's with black bars on the sides of the screen. The picture should take up the whole screen, but 16:9 shows ups at 4:3. I checked all my settings, and I think they are correct. Is this the 4:3 bug many of you are mentioning?

Brian

No, the bug we are talking about is when we try to play 4:3 DVD content at 1080p, the player outputs it stretched to 16:9. Not all TVs are capable of correcting this.

In your case it sounds like a settings problem, either on your TV or BH200.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamirobri /forum/post/16900857

Can you guys clarify for me what the 4:3 bug is exactly?

Some TVs lock the aspect ratio to 16:9 over HDMI (there is no bug over Component) meaning for 4:3 content is stretched horizontally to 16:9. Thankfully my TV doesn't lock it so I just press the button on my TV to make it 4:3.

I understand it should be easy to fix for LG. They can force it to send the right signals to allow it. My Sony HDD/DVD Recorder has the exact function. This issue only affect HD-DVD/BD on the BH200 btw not DVD. Unless I'm mistaken?

This issue has always affected the Samsung Combo Player too btw. I've read several times LG don't consider it a "bug" but "there by design". Given how many times it's been complained about, hopefully LG are just going to fix it, to keep their users happy. It must be one of the biggest complaints.

Personally I'd just wish they'd add "time remaining" and "total time" indicators. I actually find that more annoying than the lack of BD-Live (when we didn't have it), which I doubt I'll use much. It's really annoying only having "time so far".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHD /forum/post/16900870

Testing begins right after you input the parameters your going to use for your network and click Enter. After testing is complete, the icon changes to either Able to Connect or Unable to Use Network. Once it displays Able to Connect, you are good to go and the icon stays in that mode.

Got it, thanks.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/16901739

Some TVs lock the aspect ratio to 16:9 over HDMI (there is no bug over Component) meaning for 4:3 content is stretched horizontally to 16:9. Thankfully my TV doesn't lock it so I just press the button on my TV to make it 4:3.

Really? I've only seen that for poorly configured Philips and LG displays where the aspect ratio is forced to 16:9.

Here in the States, I've seen plenty of units (displays and receivers) that won't do 480i over HDMI (only 480p), but never no 4:3. Moreover, when the LG upconverts, it should add the black bars to the side automatically. The display shouldn't know any better unless it has an algorithm (like Philips and LG) to detect side bars and stretch.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It must be a common problem given how many people have complained plus enough of a problem for Sony to add a feature to force it back, actually Pioneer as the UK HDD/DVD Recorder models are Pioneer clones.

1901 - 1920 of 2794 Posts