AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I took a shot as I didn't know if this should go in Amps or speakers.

Here is my setup;

Onkyo TX-NR1008

Kef IQ7 fronts

Kef IQ5 surrounds

Kef IQ6 Center

Polk PSW 110 sub

I just got this new amp and I love it. It's 9.2 ch and has the ability to bi-amp my front's by using the surr-rears in a 5.1 setup. I have the available speaker wire to do this.

Before I get yelled at, I have done a ton of searching and cant get a straight answer to my specific setup.

Will there be any difference if I bi-amp my fronts? Are there any negative side effects?

Like I said I have the wire but if there's no benefit then why bother.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

do you do everything in life that way? or if i tell you that if you jump off a bridge you'll die, you'll have to "go out and try it yourself" in order to believe it?

op, m-code gave the correct answer... it's the answer that anyone with a cursory knowledge of "how things really work" (vs. "how i think/wish they work") would give...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
LOL....I bi-wired my right channel the other day and it made a difference in the tweeter clarity compared to my non bi-wired left channel.

Doesn't really matter in movies cause the center channel takes over most of the vocals, but it sounds better in 2 channel and 2.1

If I didn't try it I wouldn't have known based on just reading opinions on the internet.

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses!!

I'm going to give it a try as like I said before I do have the Wire kicking around. I guess the biggest things that I was looking for was whether or not there was any advantages or if I could do any damages.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There's probably no downside, but there's probably little to no upside. Just remember that all amps are sharing the same power supply. It seems very likely the ultimate limit on power is either the power supply, or limiter circuits in the receiver. In either case, using two amps rather than one, won't solve the real problem.

But there's no reason not to try it, it's pretty simple and quick.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha /forum/post/19516885

LOL....I bi-wired my right channel the other day and it made a difference in the tweeter clarity compared to my non bi-wired left channel.

The placebo effect is alive and well. Let me bi-wire one of them for you and not tell you which one it is and let you see if you can hear which is which. If we repeat that test 10 times, you'll get about 5 right, just like every "audiophile" who's conducted such a test.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha /forum/post/19516885

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/19520340

The placebo effect is alive and well. Let me bi-wire one of them for you and not tell you which one it is and let you see if you can hear which is which. If we repeat that test 10 times, you'll get about 5 right, just like every "audiophile" who's conducted such a test.

If I am not mistaken, a bi wire run (of identical cables) should halve the series resistance of the speaker cable, hence should result in slightly greater output at the speaker. But, if that is accurate, any difference is just a level difference. So level matched comparison is impossible. And the same decrease in series resistance could be accomplished by just using lower gauge speaker cable in the first place.

So, yes, bi wiring (and, by extension, those who promote it) is largely foolish.

AJ

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/19520340

ask him what speakers he's accomplishing this "magic" on...
you'll be even more amused...

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19520455

If I am not mistaken, a bi wire run (of identical cables) should halve the series resistance of the speaker cable, hence should result in slightly greater output at the speaker. But, if that is accurate, any difference is just a level difference. So level matched comparison is impossible. And the same decrease in series resistance could be accomplished by just using lower gauge speaker cable in the first place.

So, yes, bi wiring (and, by extension, those who promote it) is largely foolish.

AJ

The resistance is less important in terms of level than it is in terms of the cross over network in the speaker. You have a parallel HPF and LPF in the speaker which are tuned to work with each other by the speaker designer. When you bi-wire you introduce the resistance of the cable between the those two network which can change the impedance curve of the speaker, especially near resonance.

I doubt in most cases it makes much if any audible difference but the difference can be modeled. Most interestingly by thinking it sounds 'better' you are basically stating that the speaker designer didn't know what he was doing. If he wanted a few tenths of an ohm more resistance between the two filters he would have put it in there to begin with.

All the rest of the stuff like "each wire only carries some of the frequencies" is complete crap. The 2 wiring runs are still connected with a very low resistance and the output impedance of a modern amp is very low. Combine that with the extremely long wavelength of the signals we're talking about (a single 20khz cycle is about 49,000ft long electrically) and the 2 wires will still be very tightly coupled.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I can confirm that I have tried this. In my ears there is no difference.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts