AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the SC-71 a few months ago, so far so good.

My front speakers are Definitive Technologies BP 8060's.

My rear and side speakers are Definitive Technologies SR 8040 BP's.

My front high speakers are Definitive Technologies Pro Monitor 1000's.

My center channel is a Definitive Technologies CS 8040 SD.

When watching TV or movies I am satisfied with the sound, however I want more power when I'm listening to records. I use a Technics SL1200 MK5 turntable with a Grado Reference 1 wood cartridge.

I am am thinking of adding a second pair of BP 8060's, but I don't know the best way to power them.

An suggestions?

Thank you,

Sven

·
The Village Idiot
9,657 Posts
Your thread title mentions bi-amping - there is little to no gains by using a single AVR to bi-amp your front L/R speakers. As to adding a second pair of 8060's? Not a great idea. You'll run into sound aberrations that won't be gotten rid of until you get rid of the second pair of speakers.

You mention you think you need more power when playing vinyl. Are you playing the music loud enough to clip the AVR? You'll hear distortion if/when you clip. Your speakers are 92db efficient which are not hard to drive. You need to describe exactly what is missing when you play vinyl. Power isn't usually the missing x factor unless you are driving the speakers into clipping.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
You want to bi-amp or add another pair of speakers? You're not talking about another pair of L/R speakers, are you? If your avr has pre-outs you can add a higher power amp if your speakers can handle it or actually benefit from more power (or just get speakers that are more sensitive and can get louder with less amp). I wouldn't bother with either passive bi-amping or a second pair of L/R speakers, though. Long thread with a lot of info on passive bi-amping here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492314/question-on-bi-amping

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps I did not explain clearly.

My English is not perfect.

The speakers are not cutting out.

I have a large room, and I would like more 'fullness'.

Maybe I should upgrade to the 8080's?

Thank you

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to about cutting out. My bet would be you need better speakers, whether anything DefTec makes fits the bill I don't know (but wouldn't be my choice, I'd go with something like JTR or Seaton but then that's spending someone else's money
).

PS Your English is quite good....I know people born to it that don't write as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you your suggestions.

I have another question.

At this time I am not using a separate sub woofer, as the 8040's have powered subs built in.

I would like to add a stand alone sub woofer, but the SC-71 has only one RCA sub out. Presently I am splitting it to go to my L/R 8040 RCA in's.

Can I add a sub woofer with out degrading the lower end signal by splitting into three lines?

Thank you

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
The signal will be fine but may have a bit less strength with another splitter, but you can turn up the gain on a sub to compensate, not sure about those DefTec bass units (wouldn't call them proper subs). Do they have a gain control?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
So they do have gain control, wouldn't worry about any loss of signal strength. Too bad they don't come in that clear material, looks more interesting that way.
They still don't compare to a real subwoofer, though (and the DefTec stand alone subwoofers are fairly weak, too, albeit if a small footprint is necessary their offerings might be of interest). The spec on that sub isn't available on the DT site but believe that it doesn't do much below 40hz IIRC from posts I've seen here on AVS but if you're not into movies and bass extension and only music then it might not matter much....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased a Paradigm Seismic 12 this afternoon.

Much improvement.

I have turned down the gains on the 8060's.

I do not understand the phase adjustment nob.

Should I start a new post?

Thank you,

Sven

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogrip  /t/1502942/bi-amp-pioneer-sc-71#post_24018571

At this time I am not using a separate sub woofer, as the 8040's have powered subs built in.

I would like to add a stand alone sub woofer, but the SC-71 has only one RCA sub out. Presently I am splitting it to go to my L/R 8040 RCA in's.

Can I add a sub woofer with out degrading the lower end signal by splitting into three lines?
You might have impedance issues by splitting one source. The proper way to do it is to use a distribution amplifier as a buffer between the single line out and each destination. It can't hurt to try the cheap way first. If you can hear a problem, then buy a DA. If not, be happy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The SC-71 has two sub out puts.

Labeled 1 & 2.

The sales man told me that I should only use #1, and split it it to my 8060 L/R.

I am presently splitting it again, for a total of 1 to 3.

This does not make sense to me.

I am believing that I should split #1 to L/R, and use #2 for the Seismic 12.

Thank you

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Salesmen often make no sense, especially audio salesmen..... Of course you should use both although internally to the avr I'd bet it's just an internal "y" split. Sounds good as to using one for the dedicated sub and split the others to the wanna be subs....

Now why did you choose Paradigm? You in Canada?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts