AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to exchange the Monster MSeries MI.4s Biwire cables that currently power my Signature Series speakers. Though these cables are very large and I've been extrememly happy with them, I want to go to a Bi-Amp cable that will fit down the cable shafts on the Premier J29 stands...The MSeries are too large and they are Bi-Wire anyway...Any suggestions :confused:

·
Banned
324 Posts
Easy solution: use a single set of cables. Your brain may disagree based on false pretenses, but I guarentee your ears will not hear a difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Bi-amping" as it applies to modern speakers with multiple binding posts is not the same thing at all as an active bi-amp'ed system.

Active systems, by definition, do not have passive crossover networks, which is the major reason they perform so much better than standard systems.

You cannot bypass the internal crossovers in your speakers, so they cannot easliy be bi-amp'ed.

I'd say use a single run of decent cable, such as Kimber 4PR ($4/ft)

It won't sound much different than 12g zip, but it's more commensurate aesthetically with your Signatures. (Paradigm I assume)

BTW, Paradigm offered the Studio 20 and 40 as active internally bi-amped systems for a while, and the reports very positive. (+/-1db across the entire audio range!)

Not sure why they dropped this line.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickelfritz
BTW, Paradigm offered the Studio 20 and 40 as active internally bi-amped systems for a while, and the reports very positive. (+/-1db across the entire audio range!)

Not sure why they dropped this line.
The "entire audio range" for full range speakers is normally considered to be 20Hz to 20kHz. I'm sure they covered the high end, but did the active 20's or 40's really go down to +/-1dB at 20Hz?

John

·
Registered
59 Posts
No they only were rated down to about 40hz or so, but this region is significantly impacted by room modes anyway.

These little speakers purportedly had extremely good bass response though.

Even a system that is perfectly flat down to 20hz in nearfield or anechoic measurements, will be +/- 6db in a typical room at low frequencies. (if you're lucky)

Here's the averaged in-room response of the Active Studio 20, measured by JA at Stereophile.
http://stereophile.com/images/archivesart/P20fig07.jpg

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
They must be nice. The few that you see on Audiogon are gone very quickly...

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.